The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-23-2015 10:41 AM
91 1234
tools
    My update has stuck on 83% twice now.
    11-14-2015 11:36 AM
    My update has stuck on 83% twice now.
    Did you have to manually shutdown, was a restore to previous version the results on boot-up, were there any message(s) that greeted you upon returning to the desktop?

On one PC once at 75% and several times on 85%, getting errors 0xC19000101-0x40017 and 0xC19000101-0x4000D with message "The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATION_DATA operation", gone through "many" purported fixes without any resolve. This is the same issue I encountered in round one, initial install of W10, at one point it just worked without any intervention by me, still remains a mystery as to the cause, for this one PC anyways.
    Last edited by Elky64; 11-14-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: formatting
    11-14-2015 01:14 PM
    Going thru these posts in this thread, I guess what most people are trying to get across is that in this day and age one shouldn't have to do these extra things like hiding updates as one obnoxious user said. These updates are supposed to be for NOOBS like many of us out here and not for pros. So if the OP has one same issue with many pcs and the strike rate is that high, of course it is MSFTs fault. Isnt it their service? Sure there are millions of insiders who have used Win10and reported back to MS but have you had a look at some of the garbage including one word that is given as feedback? Compared to that if one here complains that casting doesn't work and blames MS for not getting it right it is 100% valid and is still MSFTs fault and not the noobs fault. Working drivers replaced by useless one sure it is MSFTs fault it is not the NOOBS choice!! Networking issues after the update, settings being replaced and a whole long list NOOBS didn't ask for it. If someone can help that is fine but attacking them for something going wrong and when they have raised a genuine concern .................
    slivy58 and stnm like this.
    11-14-2015 01:58 PM
    Not to mention they will get hammered on social media if they delay this update further.... As after all the techblogosphere have run with the 12th as the day this update gets released.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    It is what I was thinking about here.
    11-14-2015 02:02 PM
    My Surface Pro 3 received the version 1511, 10586 update 2 days ago with no issues.. Not sure how they're rolling it out but it is definitely out..
    11-14-2015 02:04 PM
    HTPC: This PC saw the update around the same time I gather, but I didn't turn it on and check until the evening. Took about 30minutes, no errors, no stoppages, everything worked fine. Upon resume, my desktop image was gone and replaced with a 'black' screen. I have not investigated further on this yet. OS seems fully functional, I don't think it's a graphical glitch I think it's just not grabbing my networked theme for some reason.
    supposed to be a normal part of the install or not, I thought it was weird. Aside from that, no problems.
    John, I updated my desktop PC last night and experienced the same exact problem. Desktop image and start screen image was a black screen. A "critical error" message popped up about the start screen not working. If you find a solution for this problem, please let me know. Thanks!
    11-14-2015 02:39 PM
    Going thru these posts in this thread, I guess what most people are trying to get across is that in this day and age one shouldn't have to do these extra things like hiding updates as one obnoxious user said. These updates are supposed to be for NOOBS like many of us out here and not for pros. So if the OP has one same issue with many pcs and the strike rate is that high, of course it is MSFTs fault. Isnt it their service? Sure there are millions of insiders who have used Win10and reported back to MS but have you had a look at some of the garbage including one word that is given as feedback? Compared to that if one here complains that casting doesn't work and blames MS for not getting it right it is 100% valid and is still MSFTs fault and not the noobs fault. Working drivers replaced by useless one sure it is MSFTs fault it is not the NOOBS choice!! Networking issues after the update, settings being replaced and a whole long list NOOBS didn't ask for it. If someone can help that is fine but attacking them for something going wrong and when they have raised a genuine concern .................
    Exactly my sediments, why is everything MS appears to be doing as of late going in reverse, I'm not a software developer so maybe W10s core is way more complicated than anything before it, highly doubting it but just don't know. Like I said before, done many upgrades/installs of Windows OSs in my time (back to DOS days) and nothing then compares to what I'm experiencing firsthand now, admittedly I do agree it is slightly better w/Fall Update but still too much out in left field, and why has the OTA update seemingly been a bust, the excuses about servers, too early etc. are a faade.

Another gripe I have is the "lacking of info trend" or "wild goose chase phenomenon", in other words, PC fails at a task with zero indications as to why or, if failure is accompanied with an error code one ends up on a wild goose chase, can't count the number of times this has happened to me, checking event viewer and the like just ends up being futile and looking like gobbledygook, searching the web many times is no better because it never seems "your" issue is what anyone else has (same error), tie that into the fact there is usually multiple tweaks to one solution so you are never sure which one(s) resolved if you get that lucky... Can see why many say "scrap it" and resort to wiping and doing a clean install.
    Last edited by Elky64; 11-14-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: formatting
    tonyr6 likes this.
    11-14-2015 03:02 PM
    Not just any PC, I'm comparing "multiple " Windows devices (10+), right now I'm fairing a tad better than the initial install of W10 months back, down to a 65-70% failure rate w/Fall Update compared to my previous 90%. Pretty disappointed we are going through a similar routine considering 10 was already installed and each had their bios/drivers/etc. supposedly updated to be W10 compatible, in some case the upgrade turfs certain drivers and makes one research/reinstall to rectify, not quite getting that mentality Yeah and some say not MS fault, sure.

I think one of my main beefs is the fact, in my case, W10 has been a friggin pain getting it to install and to top that off, little if any info is relayed as to why, you can usually work with something if it is there but when it is not, highly unlikely.
    considering you have such a high fail rate.. ever stop to think maybe there is a user error about?
    editguy and ajj3085 like this.
    11-14-2015 03:52 PM
    Can see why many say "scrap it" and resort to wiping and doing a clean install.
    I had horrific problems upgrading my main PC from 8.1 to 10. Permissions problems like mad, and after a week of desperately trying all the 'solutions' people were posting, I nuke and paved and everything has been great ever since on the fresh install. My other 3 PC's were all upgraded from Win7 and I had no problems with any of them. So far, updates have all been more or less as smooth as can be.

My gut will always say "Go with the fresh install" based on years of experience, but I decided not to this go around just to try it out and see if they managed to pull off what I would consider a miracle. I suppose you could say I have a 75% success rate :P
    slivy58 likes this.
    11-14-2015 04:53 PM
    Not just any PC, I'm comparing "multiple " Windows devices (10+), right now I'm fairing a tad better than the initial install of W10 months back, down to a 65-70% failure rate w/Fall Update compared to my previous 90%. Pretty disappointed we are going through a similar routine considering 10 was already installed and each had their bios/drivers/etc. supposedly updated to be W10 compatible, in some case the upgrade turfs certain drivers and makes one research/reinstall to rectify, not quite getting that mentality… Yeah and some say not MS fault, sure.

I think one of my main beefs is the fact, in my case, W10 has been a friggin pain getting it to install and to top that off, little if any info is relayed as to why, you can usually work with something if it is there but when it is not, highly unlikely.
    per the RED above ...
    Who do you think supplies said drivers you reference?
    This isn't your first time around the block, so you should be able to answer that question.
    There are a ton of people NOT having problems (I'd think that's a fair guess with the number of installs) perhaps you ARE approaching this incorrectly.

YES, I'm an IT guy, but the old adage holds true - RTFM! with all your experience, you should know that one.
    editguy likes this.
    11-14-2015 04:54 PM
    considering you have such a high fail rate.. ever stop to think maybe there is a user error about?
    LOL, yup daily... Seriously, not sure how much user error there can be when one just clicks a setup file then follows the minimalist of prompts, the rest is basically automatic. As mention in a previous post, we eventually get there but it is through considerable head banging sometimes which just shouldn't be, my interpretation of "failure" includes those initial attempts that were unsuccessful even though it might eventually get there, guess I used the term too loosely making it out like we never achieve that goal.

To conclude... I'm fully aware variances in hardware including age can present problems but, I have enough devices considered to be "above average" that the minimalist of problems "during" the install should have been the least of my worries. After the install, issues encountered afterwards is in my opinion, a given and should be expected to a degree, no OS is trouble free per se on every device as there is always something not quite right, once landed you can usually deal with it... Odd case scenario where a redo is required but for me that has been few and far between.
    11-14-2015 05:09 PM
    I've had a few bugs from routine updates alone. I do not think Microsoft has nailed their update strategy just yet. Patch Tuesdays were generally reliable.
    I had so many quirks on my Latitude 7350 that I went ahead and downgraded to Windows 8.1. Clean installs are a hassle for me because of software activation.

There is a lot involved with deploying updates to a seemingly infinite number of hardware configurations!
    11-14-2015 05:21 PM
    I installed it on 3 laptops and 1 PC. No issues on any of them. On my Dell I used the ISO because I did not want to wait, the other 3 were OTA.
    editguy likes this.
    11-14-2015 05:21 PM
    3pcs with ZERO issues. Calm..... Dont post literally hours from an official release saying its a failure or you have problems, thus its a failure. 24hrs after any update release is my rule, hasnt failed me in years.
    editguy likes this.
    11-14-2015 05:26 PM
    per the RED above ...
    Who do you think supplies said drivers you reference?
    This isn't your first time around the block, so you should be able to answer that question.
    There are a ton of people NOT having problems (I'd think that's a fair guess with the number of installs) perhaps you ARE approaching this incorrectly.

YES, I'm an IT guy, but the old adage holds true - RTFM! with all your experience, you should know that one.
    Um, previous versions of Windows provided drivers w/some components also having standard, “generic” drivers, allowed for a successful install, enough so that the user once up and running could A: use Windows update to update their drivers or, B: go to manufactures site and download latest drivers, from what I am experiencing in some cases MS failed to include any or anything that worked... You knew that right?
    Last edited by Elky64; 11-14-2015 at 05:56 PM.
    11-14-2015 05:28 PM
    3pcs with ZERO issues. Calm..... Dont post literally hours from an official release saying its a failure or you have problems, thus its a failure. 24hrs after any update release is my rule, hasnt failed me in years.
    Since I'm basing my experiences mostly off the install(s) and not the access to the file(s) not sure where time would have made any difference, highly doubtful MS tweaked the OS in 2+ days. As for the OTA method, that too has never really been an issue (access wise), the lack of its successful installation has, that just might be about to change though as my Acer tablet appears to be headed for positive upgrade ... Gonna feel like Walmart with their price cuts LOL.

UPDATE:
    Sadly first go was a fail for my Acer tablet (OTA), gonna have to babysit it now as couldn't reference anything indicating why the install was unsuccessful

Second time the charm, only took approx. 4.5 hours to successfully upgrade (OTA) compared to several weeks last time , guess things aren't quite as bad as before LOL but we're not finished yet.
    Last edited by Elky64; 11-14-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Updated
    11-14-2015 05:54 PM
    Um, previous versions of Windows provided drivers w/some components also having standard, “generic” drivers, allowed for a successful install, enough so that the user once up and running could A: use Windows update to update their drivers or, B: go to manufactures site and download latest drivers, from what I am experiencing in some cases MS failed to include any or anything that worked... You knew that right?
    YES ...

the information you crave is @ the Windows10 update page. Not every pc / laptop / tablet is setup the same, perhaps some proprietary peripherals are causing the issue. Apps / processes running in the background (or foreground) won't be upgradeable, ...

There could be a hundred reasons WHY your upgrades are failing - I'd imagine you have some special circumstances.

... and 9 PCs does seem a tad excessive
    11-14-2015 06:58 PM
    Since I'm basing my experiences mostly off the install(s) and not the access to the file(s) not sure where time would have made any difference, highly doubtful MS tweaked the OS in 2+ days. As for the OTA method, that too has never really been an issue (access wise), the lack of its successful installation has, that just might be about to change though as my Acer tablet appears to be headed for positive upgrade ... Gonna feel like Walmart with their price cuts LOL.
    Sigh... it was in regards to waiting to download it for 24hrs due to server congestion. NO, they wouldnt have changed anything in 24hrs.
    11-14-2015 08:27 PM
    YES ...

the information you crave is @ the Windows10 update page. Not every pc / laptop / tablet is setup the same, perhaps some proprietary peripherals are causing the issue. Apps / processes running in the background (or foreground) won't be upgradeable, ...

There could be a hundred reasons WHY your upgrades are failing - I'd imagine you have some special circumstances.

... and 9 PCs does seem a tad excessive
    Totally aware not every PC is the same yet it still begs the questions… “Why were previous OSs so forgiving compared to W10?”. The last time I can remember having major upgrade/install issues was with Vista (on one PC only), and rarely have I waited more than a couple of days before upgrading to the latest OS either.

The majority of my hardware is from varying manufactures (Acer/Asus/HP/Lenovo/Samsung/Toshiba) so we are not talking one brand here, i5 or better, 6 gigs ram or better, AMD or Nvidia dedicated graphics with the odd Intel onboard, SSDs, nothing I’d consider having special circumstances, you'd think there'd be no issues with the majority in that one try is all it takes.

It’s more than 9 but do agree with the excessive part LOL. The thing is, they do not all get used that much and none are left on continuously (lights out when not in use), and every one is kept fully up-to-date in every aspect, as a matter of fact, on most the OS would be considered freshly updated or installed to a degree since W10 first became RTM. I am very meticulous about keeping my devices in tip top running order and one would be hard-pressed to hard to find any better maintained systems… Maybe my nemesis?

Having so many devices, for me anyways, just solidifies my thinking that MS kind of missed the boat somewhat with W10, maybe they chose to forgo supporting anything (out of the box) 1.5 years and older... My 8+ year old Toshiba (A200-TJ9) though was the only lappy in round one to be error and trouble free, strange but true, haven’t bothered to introduced it to the Fall Update yet.

Have to throw this in as it seem pretty prevalent when scouting forums for solutions... Many attribute installation problems with 3rd party software, manly firewalls/antivirus (have not encounter an occurrence where that was the case but understand it), for many years now I've only relied on MSs offerings and have no complaints so far.
    Last edited by Elky64; 11-15-2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Edit
    11-14-2015 08:51 PM
    I can't even upgrade my 32 GB tablet. I only have 3 GB of free space and an SD card. When I select the SD card for the upgrade. It still tells me that I need 3.66 GB on the C. drive.

This is beyond aggravating. Why ask for an SD card if you're only going to tell me you still need the C: drive. This has to be a bug.
    11-14-2015 08:51 PM
    I can't even upgrade my 32 GB tablet. I only have 3 GB of free space and an SD card. When I select the SD card for the upgrade. It still tells me that I need 3.66 GB on the C. drive.

This is beyond aggravating. Why ask for an SD card if you're only going to tell me you still need the C: drive. This has to be a bug.
    Sounds like you are definitely on the edge as far as storage space goes, sadly what it says and what it wants are usually two different things, anyway for you to free up some space by backing up files to another device?.

My Acer tablet is of the 64GB variety w/32+ gigs available so space isn't my issue, went with the OTA update, still waiting to see what ensues on the second attempt but at this point and time it is not looking too promising (SUCCESS).
    Last edited by Elky64; 11-14-2015 at 11:02 PM.
    11-14-2015 09:29 PM
    It is what I was thinking about here.
    Thanks for linking your thread, however in that thread you are specifically referring to the launch and this particular thread is about the fall update.

In regards to which, I have updated via Windows Update (on Saturday) and the only issues I have noticed was that while it was updating I was connected to the internet and it had downloaded buggy display & touch pad drivers. So I had to delete these drivers and install the ones I already had (I keep all my drivers in a separate flash drive).

So far so so good.
    11-14-2015 11:56 PM
    10586 has been fine for me on -

HP Stream 7
    HP 8440p Elitebook
    HP Envy X2 hybrid
    Acer Revo R3600 nettop
    Self-assembled PC (Intel Quad Q6600 era)

When I get time, I'll do my HP N54L micro-server

Before doing the HP kit, I used HP Support Assistant to make sure BIOS etc. were up-to-date.
    editguy likes this.
    11-15-2015 04:50 AM
    Hi guys. I read all of your posts and I saw that tablets has problems with storage and the update. The update downloaded well on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5732Z) but my Surftab wintron 8.0 can't update due to storage limitations. The tablet itself has 13 gigabyte of storage and i have free only the 3 of em. I have also an SD card of 32 gigabyte to help the device. I delete every app photo etc from drive C:/ also i disable one drive from my device, i delete the update history, i delete the backup files and i still can't update the tablet cause of storage limitations. My question is:
    Is there any possibilities to upload? If no, is there a way to re-install windows on the tablet and take the update? Any response is appreciated. Thank you
    11-15-2015 06:52 AM
    The tablet itself has 13 gigabyte of storage and i have free only the 3 of em
    When you run Disk Clean-up, also click the 'Clean up system files' button to give the option of removing old windows installs which take Gb
    11-15-2015 07:19 AM
91 1234