The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-23-2015 10:41 AM
91 1234
tools
    I already did that. But it didn't release much space. Do you think that is good to clean install them with USB?
    11-15-2015 07:37 AM
    Same here. I could upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 with little problem, and cannot install a freaking update. Why the does it offer the opportunity to use a different drive, when it's not going to use it?
    11-15-2015 08:07 AM
    Same here. I could upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 with little problem, and cannot install a freaking update. Why the does it offer the opportunity to use a different drive, when it's not going to use it?
    Well i guess it gives the drive for download the file but surely needs the C:/ drive for install it. The problem is that the OS of Windows 10 is big enough. almost 10 gigabytes with the built in programs. That's nuts. I hope for a fix for that.
    ajj3085 likes this.
    11-15-2015 08:50 AM
    ISOs, clean install, file clean up driver updates etc. are all well an good for those that are willing to tinker to be on the cutting edge (?) latest and greatest (?). Microsoft wants Windows 10 to be on a billion machines in the near future. This kind of dickering around won't appeal to the masses. MS initiated this Windows as a service and it should just work. Widespread adoption will not occur if users need to spend half a day resetting, researching and reconfiguring their computers to work. This is not to say that minor bugs will not occur, that is to be expected with almost any software particularly new software. once the glitches are apparent though the fixes should be swift and easy. A caveat to this is at some point backward compatibility cannot be expected with all older hardware.
    anon(9603734) and slivy58 like this.
    11-15-2015 09:25 AM
    Updated my gaming laptop on Friday and the process was smooth as butter. Took a long time, but still, no hiccups.
    slivy58 likes this.
    11-15-2015 09:44 AM
    ISOs, clean install, file clean up driver updates etc. are all well an good for those that are willing to tinker to be on the cutting edge (?) latest and greatest (?). Microsoft wants Windows 10 to be on a billion machines in the near future. This kind of dickering around won't appeal to the masses. MS initiated this Windows as a service and it should just work. Widespread adoption will not occur if users need to spend half a day resetting, researching and reconfiguring their computers to work. This is not to say that minor bugs will not occur, that is to be expected with almost any software particularly new software. once the glitches are apparent though the fixes should be swift and easy. A caveat to this is at some point backward compatibility cannot be expected with all older hardware.
    I've had no issues with the installing the fall update on my Surface and laptop via Windows update or my desktop via the media creation tool... None of them are clean installs.
    editguy likes this.
    11-15-2015 09:53 AM
    I ended up using the ISO to update my desktop PC. I got anxious as Windows Update wasn't finding the update yet. By using this method, everything went nice and smooth here.
    I updated my 8.1 laptop to 10 using ISO earlier. But now when I am doing the fall update with ISO, it asked for product key. I have tried using my 8.1 key without luck and there is no skip option. Did you face similar issues?
    11-15-2015 10:00 AM
    After scrapping literally everything I've could from tablet, the update finally installed, but my version is 10586.0, and not 10586.3, like on my PC. Is there a difference?
    11-15-2015 11:13 AM
    Did take for ever, had to manually boot desktop. Happy to report all seems well and WMI is running properly which it did not on 10240.

I do think though that many consumers will be frustrated doing what many of us had to do to get it up and running right.
    slivy58 likes this.
    11-15-2015 11:42 AM
    After scrapping literally everything I've could from tablet, the update finally installed, but my version is 10586.0, and not 10586.3, like on my PC. Is there a difference?
    Do you have also 16 gigabyte device?
    11-15-2015 01:22 PM
    Yes I do. Deleted everything from it, turned off virtual memory, and could scrap about 5.3 GBs of space. The MCT worked that way, with my SD card being the additional storage space for the upgrde.
    Axel Ridd likes this.
    11-15-2015 01:40 PM
    Yes I do. Deleted everything from it, turned off virtual memory, and could scrap about 5.3 GBs of space. The MCT worked that way, with my SD card being the additional storage space for the upgrde.
    Oh i see. I delete everything from the devive and i have 3,95 free storage. What is that virtual memory and how to turn it off? Any help is appreciated.

Update: I turn off the memory but still not much space :(
    Last edited by Axel Ridd; 11-15-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    11-15-2015 01:59 PM
    Have you cleared all your temp folders as well manually?
    Axel Ridd likes this.
    11-15-2015 02:25 PM
    Have you cleared all your temp folders as well manually?
    Yeap with disc cleanup. I think no update for me after all :P
    11-15-2015 02:27 PM
    Asus vivobook 400 Intel i5 3rd gen here everything went super smooth and fast. I have a Samsung 850 EVO 256 Gb ssd. No problems yet except for the major pain of the audio driver. But this is not Microsoft is Asus absolute rubbish support as well from VIA. The generic MS driver works ok but with limited functionality. So for me looks like a positive update. One thing I have noticed that my system is even faster now. Including loading of programs rendering of webpages. Cortana is very good, sends text messages perfectly just awesome for now. On a regular disk clean check I found a whopping windows old version of 7 GB. DELETED!!! I'm not going back.
    11-15-2015 02:29 PM
    Disc cleanup isn't goung to do that properly. You have to go to users/app data/local folder to locate your temp folder, and empy it. Lots of leftovers are still in the app date folder, you have to delete everything, that seems redundant.
    Axel Ridd likes this.
    11-15-2015 02:34 PM
    Disc cleanup isn't goung to do that properly. You have to go to users/app data/local folder to locate your temp folder, and empy it. Lots of leftovers are still in the app date folder, you have to delete everything, that seems redundant.
    88,9 megabyte. Looks like no update for me at least for this moment. Thanks for your help anyway mate.
    11-15-2015 02:42 PM
    The bad new...
    Well stupid me, was adamant about rectifying my HP ProBook's stubbornness in upgrading to the Fall Update (similar scenario w/RTM release) that I wasn't going to let it be triumphant, researched and performed some suggested tweaks (no registry) and wala, we now had a PC pretty much rendered useless as it would get to the start screen but not login screen, tried everything to repair/restore but at every turn I was met with "we cannot...", nothing I can think of should have caused the resulting predicament yet whatever the case we were at a point that a complete wipe/refresh was imminent.

The good new...
    Booted off USB stick w/ISO and proceeded to preform fresh install, entered previous OSs key (W8.1) when asked which it accepted, after about 20-30 min we we're back in business minus our programs/settings (have 2nd HD installed in optical drive bay so my data is safe), once at desktop I checked the activation status of W10 and sure enough it was good to go... Yes this PC isn't as forgiving as some yet have upgraded/refreshed same many a times using W7/W8.0W8.1 without ever a single hiccup.

Now the daunting task of reinstalling my programs, changing settings, etc. guess we could have burned an image prior or something then used to resolve previous OSs corruption but believe we are better off now (praying), just not going to be overly impressed if this is how future upgrades unfold.

Moral of the story...
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it"... Know these sediments all too well but then I'm a sucker for punishment, suppose we are just too old to learn or change LOL
    11-15-2015 05:30 PM
    I installed the update from the ISO download. Everything went smooth with one exception... for some reason the update failed to properly reinstall my Ethernet driver. I had to download the proper driver with another computer, transfer with usb drive and uninstall/reinstall the driver. After that everything worked as expected!
    11-15-2015 07:29 PM
    Hearing you loud and clear, I'm still reeling having to go through a repeat affair just as when we upgraded to W10 initially, you'd think with build 10240 already installed and bios/drivers/etc. previously updated for W10 compatibility, this Fall Update would be breeze, guess that was too much to ask for. I too have noticed instances were devices or drivers are being thrown to the curb even though they were fine in previous build, not sure what's the deal with that, not going to be smiling if this trend continues with other builds.

As for Apple and going by my personal experience, no, got some older hardware in that category (older than most of my PCs), so far peachy keen and a much more satisfying process... Just updated my MacBook Pro to Yosemite, took only a third of the time to upgrade compared to may fastest PC, there wasn't an ounce of digging afterwards to bring it back to it's previous functioning state.
    Quit spreading the Apple FUD. Yosemite has had all kinds of problems. A quick check of the internet shows that there have been problems with every OSX upgrade. You seem to think if you have a problem, everyone ahs a problem. And, if you have no problems with an upgrade, no one does.
    11-16-2015 12:18 AM
    Quit spreading the Apple FUD. Yosemite has had all kinds of problems. A quick check of the internet shows that there have been problems with every OSX upgrade. You seem to think if you have a problem, everyone ahs a problem. And, if you have no problems with an upgrade, no one does.
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings but Im basing everything off my REAL world experiences and not solely on what "I" read, these are my opinions and "mine" only.

Furthermore, we own enough of both that we are not basing my" opinions off one instance or outcome, not sure what you expect me to say if in my" experiences one fairs better than the other, one in saying MS or Apple.
    11-16-2015 05:19 AM
    I've got problems with virtualbox 5.0.x and cygwin64\rysnc.exe
    Those took me 4 hours to find a fix + 30 min for the 1511 update
    11-16-2015 06:08 AM
    In Windows Central there is a warning that the update may have problems loading and gives
    some fixes, in other words the update isn't reliable to install. Only a few may get it without
    problems, but the fixes they give is very time consuming. I'm waiting for it myself, I don't want
    to force it, because last time, I had to start over with Windows 7, then go to Windows 10.
    The coding for the update most likely wasn't proofed before released.
    11-16-2015 08:22 AM
    as some of you had said i downloaded the ISO. But when i ran the ISO it asks me for WIndows Key (No Skip option) and neither of the keys (windows 8.1 and WIndows 10 keys) are accepted. if there is anyway you could help please help.

untitled.png
    11-16-2015 11:20 AM
    as some of you had said i downloaded the ISO. But when i ran the ISO it asks me for WIndows Key (No Skip option) and neither of the keys (windows 8.1 and WIndows 10 keys) are accepted. if there is anyway you could help please help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	116365
    I'm assuming you are trying to a fresh install here, wiping files, programs etc.?

Did you "upgrade" to W10 at some point previously as that is the prerequisite, otherwise it's unlikely you will be able to successfully activate after a fresh install?

My understanding is that upon upgrading the info pertaining to your PC is uploaded to the cloud, after that it should recognise said PC via online after doing a complete refresh.
    11-16-2015 12:27 PM
91 1234