GRRRRR!!!... W10 Fall Update

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
So what the heck is MS doing, with this Fall Update it seems like we've once again taken several steps backwards in the update/upgrade department, if tonight's epic fails for me are any indication, can't even comment on the update itself as we never got there...

PC1
Was the second out of two that we upgraded in the beginning to W10 (RTM) with the minimalist of hassles, actually worked well, today I attempted to simply to check for updates in general including apps in the store, Fall Update showed. Low and behold it now refuses to download "any" updates even though it indicates it is, the bar(s) never progress even after a couple of hours, just gave up and powered it off.

PC2
Same check as PC1, it too showed Fall Update, proceeded to download, got near the 100% mark and errored out (as per usual these days the error told me nothing), now the PC says I'm up-to-date yet still on build 10240.

PC3
Another update check, Fall Update present once again, downloaded then proceeded to go though the install process, got to about 71% then the screen went blank (still backlit) and just sat there, after some time I was forced to manually reboot. Upon the reboot you could see it was attempting to complete the install/upgrade but then resorted to restoring my previous Windows version, this is the same scenario that occurred when I upgraded to the initial RTM release of Windows 10 yet now my drivers are "all" updated for W10... Again no pertinent info as to what the problem may be!!!

So now it appears we are experiencing most of the same issue that reared their ugly heads when I was upgrading to W10 in the beginning, it was an utter mess then and appears to be headed in the same direction once again, one PC OK but multiples, "we have a problem Huston". Been toying with computers since 1988 and up until, including Windows 8.1, I have never seen such a fiasco such as W10, batting a perfect 3 for 3 in the fail category today, not even going to attempt to update the other 6 PCs I have as I'm sure they won't fair any better, all are running build 10240 at the moment.

Anyone else having similar experiences and getting totally frustrated with MS seemingly poor implementations of updates and OS in general???

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Relax, it is still rolling out.

Given the sheer number of people on W10, they can't push the update out to everyone.

Regardless you can download the iso straight from Microsoft.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Given the sheer number of people on W10, they can't push the update out to everyone.

If you read my post you would have seen PCs 2 & 3 did download (rollout) for me w/third attempting the install but failing, not sure what this has to with "they can't push the update out to everyone".

Sure we could resort to the ISO but were does that excuse MS for the OTA update failing? As a matter of fact, on W10s initial release both OTA and ISO failed on multiple PCs in my case and that's my point, why are we going down this path once again with an update, just being released today is absolutely no valid excuse.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you read my post you would have seen PCs 2 & 3 did download (rollout) for me w/third attempting the install but failing, not sure what this has to with "they can't push the update out to everyone".

Sure we could resort to the ISO but were does that excuse MS for the OTA update failing? As a matter of fact, on W10s initial release both OTA and ISO failed on multiple PCs in my case and that's my point, why are we going down this path once again with an update, just being released today is absolutely no valid excuse.

I read that, I figured you would be smart enough to realise that just because a few handful of users are having issues that doesn't mean everyone else will.

Not to mention they will get hammered on social media if they delay this update further.... As after all the techblogosphere have run with the 12th as the day this update gets released.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe I seen something somewhere stating there is a fix for the problem your having. Microsoft knows about it and they have a work around for it I just can't recall where I had seen it.

The simple fact is there shouldn't need to be a workaround if they had done it right in the first place and that is one of my grips, went through this in round one and now appears we are in for the same come round 2.

amcluesent

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I was on Insider 10586, upgraded used Media Creator ISO to 10586.0 and immediately got a cumulative update to take the OS to 10586.3. Everything fine.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I read that, I figured you would be smart enough to realise that just because a few handful of users are having issues that doesn't mean everyone else will.

This has nothing to do with "others" in the grand scheme of things, I just asked if anyone else was having similar issues to mine (yep I'm not a happy camper), you just as I have no clue how many are or are not having issues. I'm basing everything off my past and present experiences w/W10 along w/ten+ devices, don't think it takes too many smarts to see where blame lies when there is a 90% failure rate, and as mentioned before, something that rarely existed prior to Windows 10.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This has nothing to do with "others" in the grand scheme of things, I just asked if anyone else was having similar issues to mine (yep I'm not a happy camper), you just as I have no clue how many are or are not having issues. I'm basing everything off my past and present experiences w/W10 along w/ten+ devices, don't think it takes too many smarts to see where blame lies when there is a 90% failure rate, and as mentioned before, something that rarely existed prior to Windows 10.

Fair enough, now that you've got that frustration out of your system.

Feeling better now? :winktongue:

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
So far so good, my 'upgrade' today on ASUS laptop seems to have gone OK. Took about 3 hours all told including my own full backup first.
Noticed my default browser which was Chrome reverted to Edge so tried Edge again to see if new Cast feature works - it does not. At least not on my Toshiba DNLA TV or ROKU Stick from non protected You Tube video.
Not really surprised as MSFT has a very poor record of getting software to work first time round. Will maybe try it again in a year or two when they figure out how to make it work properly. Meanwhile back to Chrome for me.
Also noticed my Window Explorer settings have all been messed up again, jeeze I just want to be able to have my C: drive in the left hand panel. Hey ho I suspect another week of re-setting all my carefully adjusted/customized settings back to something approaching useful again.
Now just waiting to find out my drivers have also been screwed again.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Interesting conversations regarding upgrade success and failures. As of today, I have not seen the update at all. I turned off the Preview update for 5 days just now and will check again later today. Really nervous and hope I have a good experience. I am on the latest Preview version at the present.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I ended up using the ISO to update my desktop PC. I got anxious as Windows Update wasn't finding the update yet. By using this method, everything went nice and smooth here.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Not really surprised as MSFT has a very poor record of getting software to work first time round. Will maybe try it again in a year or two when they figure out how to make it work properly. Meanwhile back to Chrome for me.

I am still waiting for the update on some of my computers but I am sorry but this is a really silly thing to say...
"poor record" really? only because it doesn't work for YOU?
anyway it wouldn't be Microsoft fault if it doesn't work, they pushed it to insiders to test it first, if 4 millions insiders didn't test it enough and gave feedback about it, then how is it Microsoft fault? it works for me anyway, and it seems it works better than immersive IE on windows 8.1 which had this feature.
I sometimes wonder how people come up with crap like yours, but it's funny... you are the only one complaining about it, about casting not working and the setting messing up... wow
"I used something and complain about it" what a surprise. and you need a week to setting something up?

I clean installed my windows and took 4 hours to install 45gb of software and put everything running and fine... yeah right a week. for sure /s

I mean, you can't even take the time to hide the driver updates, there is the troubleshooter for that, and it works the same as old WU hiding updates. so again, it wouldn't be Microsoft fault if you can't see you are just another noob average computer user, believing you are the super pro tech person.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
OK more woes:

The old and supposedly fixed windows 8 - 8.1 USB hard disk power off error has returned with latest 'fall' upgrade. Damn, have to work through all the 'fixes' again from setting all the Devices/USB Power Management to Off, Tweaking the Registry etc., so far nothing is working. Microsoft provide a proper fix for this very annoying and bug.
WiFi/Networking - pre 'fall' upgrade I could watch streaming movies to my hearts content with no errors or problems but now after the 'fall-over' upgrade the same streams, from the same reliable sources fail after about 10-15 mins with 'network errors'. Seems like another MSFT screw up - probably have to re-install all my Intel drivers - again.
Do Apple owners suffer these interminable software faults?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
OK more woes:

The old and supposedly fixed windows 8 - 8.1 USB hard disk power off error has returned with latest 'fall' upgrade. Damn, have to work through all the 'fixes' again from setting all the Devices/USB Power Management to Off, Tweaking the Registry etc., so far nothing is working. Microsoft provide a proper fix for this very annoying and bug.
WiFi/Networking - pre 'fall' upgrade I could watch streaming movies to my hearts content with no errors or problems but now after the 'fall-over' upgrade the same streams, from the same reliable sources fail after about 10-15 mins with 'network errors'. Seems like another MSFT screw up - probably have to re-install all my Intel drivers - again.
Do Apple owners suffer these interminable software faults?

Hearing you loud and clear, I'm still reeling having to go through a repeat affair just as when we upgraded to W10 initially, you'd think with build 10240 already installed and bios/drivers/etc. previously updated for W10 compatibility, this Fall Update would be breeze, guess that was too much to ask for. I too have noticed instances were devices or drivers are being thrown to the curb even though they were fine in previous build, not sure what's the deal with that, not going to be smiling if this trend continues with other builds.

As for Apple and going by my personal experience, no, got some older hardware in that category (older than most of my PCs), so far peachy keen and a much more satisfying process... Just updated my MacBook Pro to Yosemite, took only a third of the time to upgrade compared to may fastest PC, there wasn't an ounce of digging afterwards to bring it back to it's previous functioning state.

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hearing you loud and clear, I'm still reeling having to go through a repeat affair just as when we upgraded to W10 initially, you'd think with build 10240 already installed and bios/drivers/etc. previously updated for W10 compatibility, this Fall Update would be breeze, guess that was too much to ask for. I too have noticed instances were devices or drivers are being thrown to the curb even though they were fine in previous build, not sure what's the deal with that, not going to be smiling if this trend continues with other builds.

As for Apple and going by my personal experience, no, got some older hardware in that category (older than most of my PCs), so far peachy keen and a much more satisfying process... Just updated my MacBook Pro to Yosemite, took only a third of the time to upgrade compared to may fastest PC, there wasn't an ounce of digging afterwards to bring it back to it's previous functioning state.

I would think the experience on Microsoft's own hardware would be no worse. Comparing just any PC to a Mac is kinda unfair, don't you think?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I would think the experience on Microsoft's own hardware would be no worse. Comparing just any PC to a Mac is kinda unfair, don't you think?

Not just any PC, I'm comparing "multiple " Windows devices (10+), right now I'm fairing a tad better than the initial install of W10 months back, down to a 65-70% failure rate w/Fall Update compared to my previous 90%. Pretty disappointed we are going through a similar routine considering 10 was already installed and each had their bios/drivers/etc. supposedly updated to be W10 compatible, in some case the upgrade turfs certain drivers and makes one research/reinstall to rectify, not quite getting that mentality… Yeah and some say not MS fault, sure.

I think one of my main beefs is the fact, in my case, W10 has been a friggin pain getting it to install and to top that off, little if any info is relayed as to why, you can usually work with something if it is there but when it is not, highly unlikely.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

windows 10 works as a torrent client when it comes to update, it should reach everyone pretty fast.

specially if you have that option clicked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs