GRRRRR!!!... W10 Fall Update

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/393592-why-w10-november-update-not-showing-up.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/393841-w10-november-update-unstable-not-impressed.html

Take a look @ these two threads, they may answer your questions / concerns.

I had the update error off also, but I did some research & fixed it.
Part of my problem was the initial install of Win10 was LESS than 31 days ago - my update (setup) downloaded, then would not install.
IN addition, a clean install (saving your files, w or w/out your apps) is preferred, especially for a device that had problems (in the past).

and where is East Kootenays ? (ooops, my bad, eh)

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Here was my experience yesterday:

ServerPC: This PC saw the update first, and I initiated it from the update control panel. Took about 10 minutes, no errors, no stoppages, everything worked just fine. So far so good, haven't run into any problems.

HTPC: This PC saw the update around the same time I gather, but I didn't turn it on and check until the evening. Took about 30minutes, no errors, no stoppages, everything worked fine. Upon resume, my desktop image was gone and replaced with a 'black' screen. I have not investigated further on this yet. OS seems fully functional, I don't think it's a graphical glitch I think it's just not grabbing my networked theme for some reason.

MainPC: This one did not see the update as of last night, so I forced its hand with the Media creation tool. Using that, I initiated the Win10 install, and everything went just fine. Took about 15 minutes. No errors, but I did get one stoppage. My Razer Synapse drivers decided they needed to update right in the middle of the OS installation. I installed them, and when it requested I restart afterward, I clicked 'later'. I don't know if this is supposed to be a normal part of the install or not, I thought it was weird. Aside from that, no problems.

Dell Laptop: Haven't even attempted to update this piece of junk yet. Am seriously considering taking it for a "walk in the woods", if you know what I mean.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I usually help family/friends with simple PC things like this, so off I go to help them out. Some have brand new Windows 10 machines, others have one of the first PCs that shipped Windows 7.

To those with anything below Windows 10, I did a full backup of their stuff, formatted it as if it were new, updated, stuff/apps/programs back on. Took a few hours per PC to have settings and preferences as usual. (This was in July). Then this update came, update showed, downloaded, installed, everything still in place along with the new things.

To those with Windows 10 preinstalled, update showed, downloaded, installed, everything still place along with the new things.

Overall, 12/12 PCs updated with no issues. Just the way I like it.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/393592-why-w10-november-update-not-showing-up.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/393841-w10-november-update-unstable-not-impressed.html

Take a look @ these two threads, they may answer your questions / concerns.

I had the update error off also, but I did some research & fixed it.
Part of my problem was the initial install of Win10 was LESS than 31 days ago - my update (setup) downloaded, then would not install.
IN addition, a clean install (saving your files, w or w/out your apps) is preferred, especially for a device that had problems (in the past).

and where is East Kootenays ? (ooops, my bad, eh)

Thanks for the info but we've been going the ISO route since the OTA has proven unsuccessful so far, agree with the clean install/complete refresh if problems existed prior within the OS, in the first round and upon encountering install issue with some devices I did exactly that, made little difference in my case as drivers and unknowns were their nemesis, pretty much assured it had nothing to do with a corrupt OS.

Like I said, in all my years toying with PCs I’ve never had so many issues upgrading/fresh installing an OS such as W10, yes there was the odd one here or there but not to the degree I’m seeing now, can deal with whatever happens after the install but the frustrating part has been getting there.

Should clarify that eventually we succeed w/the install(s) but it is the paths we have to take to get there, shouldn't be so daunting.

East Kootenay's (British Columbia, Canada) in red...
east_kootenay.png

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
My update has stuck on 83% twice now.

Did you have to manually shutdown, was a restore to previous version the results on boot-up, were there any message(s) that greeted you upon returning to the desktop?

On one PC once at 75% and several times on 85%, getting errors 0xC19000101-0x40017 and 0xC19000101-0x4000D with message "The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATION_DATA operation", gone through "many" purported fixes without any resolve. This is the same issue I encountered in round one, initial install of W10, at one point it just worked without any intervention by me, still remains a mystery as to the cause, for this one PC anyways.

Last edited:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Going thru these posts in this thread, I guess what most people are trying to get across is that in this day and age one shouldn't have to do these extra things like hiding updates as one obnoxious user said. These updates are supposed to be for NOOBS like many of us out here and not for pros. So if the OP has one same issue with many pcs and the strike rate is that high, of course it is MSFTs fault. Isnt it their service? Sure there are millions of insiders who have used Win10and reported back to MS but have you had a look at some of the garbage including one word that is given as feedback? Compared to that if one here complains that casting doesn't work and blames MS for not getting it right it is 100% valid and is still MSFTs fault and not the noobs fault. Working drivers replaced by useless one sure it is MSFTs fault it is not the NOOBS choice!! Networking issues after the update, settings being replaced and a whole long list NOOBS didn't ask for it. If someone can help that is fine but attacking them for something going wrong and when they have raised a genuine concern .................

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
My Surface Pro 3 received the version 1511, 10586 update 2 days ago with no issues.. Not sure how they're rolling it out but it is definitely out..

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
HTPC: This PC saw the update around the same time I gather, but I didn't turn it on and check until the evening. Took about 30minutes, no errors, no stoppages, everything worked fine. Upon resume, my desktop image was gone and replaced with a 'black' screen. I have not investigated further on this yet. OS seems fully functional, I don't think it's a graphical glitch I think it's just not grabbing my networked theme for some reason.
supposed to be a normal part of the install or not, I thought it was weird. Aside from that, no problems.

John, I updated my desktop PC last night and experienced the same exact problem. Desktop image and start screen image was a black screen. A "critical error" message popped up about the start screen not working. If you find a solution for this problem, please let me know. Thanks!

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Going thru these posts in this thread, I guess what most people are trying to get across is that in this day and age one shouldn't have to do these extra things like hiding updates as one obnoxious user said. These updates are supposed to be for NOOBS like many of us out here and not for pros. So if the OP has one same issue with many pcs and the strike rate is that high, of course it is MSFTs fault. Isnt it their service? Sure there are millions of insiders who have used Win10and reported back to MS but have you had a look at some of the garbage including one word that is given as feedback? Compared to that if one here complains that casting doesn't work and blames MS for not getting it right it is 100% valid and is still MSFTs fault and not the noobs fault. Working drivers replaced by useless one sure it is MSFTs fault it is not the NOOBS choice!! Networking issues after the update, settings being replaced and a whole long list NOOBS didn't ask for it. If someone can help that is fine but attacking them for something going wrong and when they have raised a genuine concern .................

Exactly my sediments, why is everything MS appears to be doing as of late going in reverse, I'm not a software developer so maybe W10s core is way more complicated than anything before it, highly doubting it but just don't know. Like I said before, done many upgrades/installs of Windows OSs in my time (back to DOS days) and nothing then compares to what I'm experiencing firsthand now, admittedly I do agree it is slightly better w/Fall Update but still too much out in left field, and why has the OTA update seemingly been a bust, the excuses about servers, too early etc. are a fa?ade.

Another gripe I have is the "lacking of info trend" or "wild goose chase phenomenon", in other words, PC fails at a task with zero indications as to why or, if failure is accompanied with an error code one ends up on a wild goose chase, can't count the number of times this has happened to me, checking event viewer and the like just ends up being futile and looking like gobbledygook, searching the web many times is no better because it never seems "your" issue is what anyone else has (same error), tie that into the fact there is usually multiple tweaks to one solution so you are never sure which one(s) resolved if you get that lucky... Can see why many say "scrap it" and resort to wiping and doing a clean install.

Last edited:

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Not just any PC, I'm comparing "multiple " Windows devices (10+), right now I'm fairing a tad better than the initial install of W10 months back, down to a 65-70% failure rate w/Fall Update compared to my previous 90%. Pretty disappointed we are going through a similar routine considering 10 was already installed and each had their bios/drivers/etc. supposedly updated to be W10 compatible, in some case the upgrade turfs certain drivers and makes one research/reinstall to rectify, not quite getting that mentality? Yeah and some say not MS fault, sure.

I think one of my main beefs is the fact, in my case, W10 has been a friggin pain getting it to install and to top that off, little if any info is relayed as to why, you can usually work with something if it is there but when it is not, highly unlikely.

considering you have such a high fail rate.. ever stop to think maybe there is a user error about?

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Can see why many say "scrap it" and resort to wiping and doing a clean install.

I had horrific problems upgrading my main PC from 8.1 to 10. Permissions problems like mad, and after a week of desperately trying all the 'solutions' people were posting, I nuke and paved and everything has been great ever since on the fresh install. My other 3 PC's were all upgraded from Win7 and I had no problems with any of them. So far, updates have all been more or less as smooth as can be.

My gut will always say "Go with the fresh install" based on years of experience, but I decided not to this go around just to try it out and see if they managed to pull off what I would consider a miracle. I suppose you could say I have a 75% success rate :p

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Not just any PC, I'm comparing "multiple " Windows devices (10+), right now I'm fairing a tad better than the initial install of W10 months back, down to a 65-70% failure rate w/Fall Update compared to my previous 90%. Pretty disappointed we are going through a similar routine considering 10 was already installed and each had their bios/drivers/etc. supposedly updated to be W10 compatible, in some case the upgrade turfs certain drivers and makes one research/reinstall to rectify, not quite getting that mentality… Yeah and some say not MS fault, sure.

I think one of my main beefs is the fact, in my case, W10 has been a friggin pain getting it to install and to top that off, little if any info is relayed as to why, you can usually work with something if it is there but when it is not, highly unlikely.

per the RED above ...
Who do you think supplies said drivers you reference?
This isn't your first time around the block, so you should be able to answer that question.
There are a ton of people NOT having problems (I'd think that's a fair guess with the number of installs) perhaps you ARE approaching this incorrectly.

YES, I'm an IT guy, but the old adage holds true - RTFM! with all your experience, you should know that one.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
considering you have such a high fail rate.. ever stop to think maybe there is a user error about?

LOL, yup daily... Seriously, not sure how much user error there can be when one just clicks a setup file then follows the minimalist of prompts, the rest is basically automatic. As mention in a previous post, we eventually get there but it is through considerable head banging sometimes which just shouldn't be, my interpretation of "failure" includes those initial attempts that were unsuccessful even though it might eventually get there, guess I used the term too loosely making it out like we never achieve that goal.

To conclude... I'm fully aware variances in hardware including age can present problems but, I have enough devices considered to be "above average" that the minimalist of problems "during" the install should have been the least of my worries. After the install, issues encountered afterwards is in my opinion, a given and should be expected to a degree, no OS is trouble free per se on every device as there is always something not quite right, once landed you can usually deal with it... Odd case scenario where a redo is required but for me that has been few and far between.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I've had a few bugs from routine updates alone. I do not think Microsoft has nailed their update strategy just yet. Patch Tuesdays were generally reliable.
I had so many quirks on my Latitude 7350 that I went ahead and downgraded to Windows 8.1. Clean installs are a hassle for me because of software activation.

There is a lot involved with deploying updates to a seemingly infinite number of hardware configurations!

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I installed it on 3 laptops and 1 PC. No issues on any of them. On my Dell I used the ISO because I did not want to wait, the other 3 were OTA.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
3pcs with ZERO issues. Calm..... Dont post literally hours from an official release saying its a failure or you have problems, thus its a failure. 24hrs after any update release is my rule, hasnt failed me in years.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
per the RED above ...
Who do you think supplies said drivers you reference?
This isn't your first time around the block, so you should be able to answer that question.
There are a ton of people NOT having problems (I'd think that's a fair guess with the number of installs) perhaps you ARE approaching this incorrectly.

YES, I'm an IT guy, but the old adage holds true - RTFM! with all your experience, you should know that one.

Um, previous versions of Windows provided drivers w/some components also having standard, “generic” drivers, allowed for a successful install, enough so that the user once up and running could A: use Windows update to update their drivers or, B: go to manufactures site and download latest drivers, from what I am experiencing in some cases MS failed to include any or anything that worked... You knew that right?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium