W10 November Update Unstable, Not impressed!

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
So I installed November today on my Asus laptop. Went as expected. 30 min to completely install and another 15 to reboot fully.

At first glance the new features and personalizion options were nice. But immediately I noticed my trackpad was really slow and, more importantly, the click n drag feature didn't work! Cant drag folders, cant scroll..OK..no prob..Checked my Asus drivers. All up to date. Rechecked to see if there were any newer updates to W10, Nope. Chatted with MS tech support. They say I need newer, updated drivers which "we don't have yet but should come soon". When? I ask.." We don't know" ..Alrighty then..

Anyway, trackpad currently almost useless

Then Edge crashed twice within an hour and locked up my laptop. Had to hard reset and it took a full 10 minutes to fully reboot.

All of this with about an hours worth of use.

OK, this is OK for an insider program or a developer preview release but not for a public release. First W10 update was rock solid, if lacking some features and polish. But this one feels way beta..

Not impressed.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
So I installed November today on my Asus laptop. Went as expected. 30 min to completely install and another 15 to reboot fully.

At first glance the new features and personalizion options were nice. But immediately I noticed my trackpad was really slow and, more importantly, the click n drag feature didn't work! Cant drag folders, cant scroll..OK..no prob..Checked my Asus drivers. All up to date. Rechecked to see if there were any newer updates to W10, Nope. Chatted with MS tech support. They say I need newer, updated drivers which "we don't have yet but should come soon". When? I ask.." We don't know" ..Alrighty then..

Anyway, trackpad currently almost useless

Then Edge crashed twice within an hour and locked up my laptop. Had to hard reset and it took a full 10 minutes to fully reboot.

All of this with about an hours worth of use.

OK, this is OK for an insider program or a developer preview release but not for a public release. First W10 update was rock solid, if lacking some features and polish. But this one feels way beta..

Not impressed.

How do you propose this MS fault, when you need ASUS drivers?
... and as the previous poster said, could be your setup.

I'm running it on a 5 year old laptop, works very well, NOW, was not impressed with the original release.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Fair point.

Asus is a big MS partner. This couldn't be a surprise to either of them. Besides, MS said the driver updates will be coming from them, not Asus. Still doesn't explain the Edge crashes. I doubt if its my hardware as W10 has worked fine until the update...

Time will tell..

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
IF I remember correctly, ASUS & Toshiba laptops had issues with Win10 (original) to the point that it was NOT a recommended install.

A colleague had issues with his Toshiba laptop (we're both IT people) on Win10.
After calling Toshiba & d/l something (I think it was a bios update), his laptop is running fine.
You may have to get ASUS tech support on the line, they'll triage it (what legacy apps are you running / how are you setup) & recommend a remediation. Could be a peripheral driver causing issues.

Good Luck.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
IF I remember correctly, ASUS & Toshiba laptops had issues with Win10 (original) to the point that it was NOT a recommended install.

A colleague had issues with his Toshiba laptop (we're both IT people) on Win10.
After calling Toshiba & d/l something (I think it was a bios update), his laptop is running fine.
You may have to get ASUS tech support on the line, they'll triage it (what legacy apps are you running / how are you setup) & recommend a remediation. Could be a peripheral driver causing issues.

Good Luck.

Thanks!

Yep. I had the same issue (trackpad) with the original public release of W10. With an update sent out by MS a week or two later (I think) it was corrected. Kinda feel this should have been ironed out before the release.

Bty, I'm using a touchscreen ASUS. A Vivobook that's 2.5 years old. Still quite good , minus the trackpad issue..:)

Hoping the Edge browser crashes/lockups are temperary. Really trying to use it as my go to browser. Otherwise, Chome it is.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

Yep. I had the same issue (trackpad) with the original public release of W10. With an update sent out by MS a week or two later (I think) it was corrected. Kinda feel this should have been ironed out before the release.

Bty, I'm using a touchscreen ASUS. A Vivobook that's 2.5 years old. Still quite good , minus the trackpad issue..:)

Hoping the Edge browser crashes/lockups are temperary. Really trying to use it as my go to browser. Otherwise, Chome it is.

Edge is awesome but it can't fight the net on its own. Grab Adguard from the net and install it. You get 14 days for free then see how Edge behaves.

ptptpt4

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm not the only one having problems with an Asus laptop. I have the exact same problems with my touchpad. However, I also have some other problems that have made the laptop completely unusable. I have lost internet connectivity and cannot find a way to enable it. The drivers installed are for Windows 10, my network adapter is shown as working normally, yet somehow I have a red x on my WiFi icon and no networks are showing. The USB Charger software is showing some random errors, half of the hotkeys don't work anymore and the audio service keeps stopping only to be reenabled by Windows. This is an incredibly buggy release for such a minor update.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
On my SP3, the November update is working well aside from one problem: The Mail App. It simply does not refresh and it is very irritating. Aside from that however, the update is quite good. I especially like the text reply feature and the overall stability and what I perceive to be a battery-life improvement though in this I may just be imagining things.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have lost internet connectivity and cannot find a way to enable it. The drivers installed are for Windows 10, my network adapter is shown as working normally, yet somehow I have a red x on my WiFi icon and no networks are showing.

A common problem I've been noticing w/initial release and Fall Update, for me it required another PC to search for proper adaptor driver(s), download, then transfer/install via USB stick to crippled PC.

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Had to hard reset and it took a full 10 minutes to fully reboot.
Not impressed.

They completely messed up the boot time with windows 10. So much to a point that, I groan involuntarily to restart my system some times. Windows 8.1 was lightning quick. Win 10 takes lot of time to boot and even more to prepare the desktop. Why does MS always takes 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd chime in, I have a HP Probook 4730s with a i5 2450M and 7470M dGPU running a 850 EVO SSD.

I updated via Windows Update, so far this is what I have noticed:

1) My display drivers and touch pad drivers were messed up, it either downloaded these or were packaged with the update. I had to delete these and reinstall them from the drivers I have.

2) Long formatting a USB is taking much longer than before...

3) Compression arrows, if your data is compressed via this setting:

Compression On.PNG

Then you will have two arrows on every single file or folder that resides in that partition, plus they will show if you have the above box ticked:

Compression.PNG

You will get the same if you use this option:

Compression Option 2.PNGCompression Option.PNG

Beyond these, business as usual.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
all I can say is keep your fully working drivers saved somewhere, I experience the same with my hp envy, windows keeps installing useless drivers for the touchpad and sometimes for my graphics too, I just installed(the good ones) it through device manager and it overrides it(the bad ones), reboot and hide these bad updates and be done with it

lets pray Microsoft realizes how hard this updating behavior makes our lives now and reconsiders :)

ptptpt4

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
A common problem I've been noticing w/initial release and Fall Update, for me it required another PC to search for proper adaptor driver(s), download, then transfer/install via USB stick to crippled PC.

I have been trying to do the very same, only for Windows to refuse to install them as a newer version was already installed. Then, after I uninstalled the said driver and tried to search for hardware changes, I get a BSOD. I cannot believe how complicated and error-inducing the upgrade process is for such a small return. If Microsoft intends to basically reinstall Windows for every one of these small incremental updates, it is going to make life very difficult for its users.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to do the very same, only for Windows to refuse to install them as a newer version was already installed. Then, after I uninstalled the said driver and tried to search for hardware changes, I get a BSOD. I cannot believe how complicated and error-inducing the upgrade process is for such a small return. If Microsoft intends to basically reinstall Windows for every one of these small incremental updates, it is going to make life very difficult for its users.

Agreed. Im about thru with MS (for many reasons other than this)

Btw, fixed the trackpad,(no click n drag after update, slow too) by uninstalling my ASUS driver via Device Manager and rebooting. Still freakin slow to completely reboot thought...

halcyonboy

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue on my Asus n-series laptop after running the November Update. Trackpad was sluggish and barely usable.

It looks like it has something to do with it being picked up incorrectly. Hopefully this will help.

Go to Device Manager (WIN+X, then select device manager), find the "Mice and other pointing devices" entry and see if you have an "Asus Support Device". My trackpad was listed in this way. I uninstalled it, and then rebooted when prompted.

When it booted up again, I typed in my password, and got a message along the lines of we are installing your trackpad, please do not reboot until this is complete. sign in happened and a few moments later I got a notice saying the trackpad was installed and that I could reboot.

So I rebooted again and now device manager lists "Asus Touchpad" under 'mice and other pointing devices'. The trackpad is also running as expected without any hassles now. (no longer seems like the cursor is stuck in mud when you move it).

Asus does seem to not like to link up their latest drivers to all their machines (especially the older machines). I looked in the programs and features list and Smart Gesture (their software for the trackpads is sitting at version 4.0.5, the version windows update installs). But after some digging on the asus support site, there is a much newer set of drivers and software that came out on Friday (13 November 2015). If the above mechanism doesn't work for you I would suggest downloading this newer Smart Gesture version (4.0.12) and hopefully it can help resolve this weird behavior.

If you visit: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Smart Gesture
You should see Smart Gesture for notebooks listed, with Windows 10 64bit and 32bit listed in the OS drop down, and with 4 versions of Smart Gesture available for installation, with v4.0.5 being the oldest version listed.

No idea why they haven't supplied the newer builds to Windows Update, but they definitely do exist!

Out of curiosity what Asus machine do you have?

Otherwise I do hope the above helps sort your issue, please do let me know if it helps.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I'm running it on a 5 year old laptop, works very well, NOW, was not impressed with the original release.

My Samsung laptop is so old archaeologists constantly knock on my door to get samples, and it runs windows 10 super fast and with no glitches.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

OMG not the dreaded BSOD!!!... In all seriousness I haven't seen one of those, well, like for eons.

If I were in your shoes and exhausted every avenue to resolve I'd be inclined to do a clean/fresh install of the OS (I know a pain), I've gone that route (after upgrading first) on a couple of PCs and just used a "key finder" tool to extract key prior, may have to look into the latter as I'm not sure if anything has changed since me doing it on initial RTM release.

I'm finding once the OS installed it hasn't been too bad (usable) with most issues related to drivers and such relatively easy to resolved (in my case), my gripe though is getting the OS to install in the first place, the Fall Update so far appears a tad better but still too much of a hit-n-miss affair, I cringe thinking about those who are not as proficient in technology having to deal with this garbage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb