No Pro option in media creation tool

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Im trying to do a clean install of the latest update for w10 pro but the media creation tool wont give an option for pro edition

How do I create media for pro edition or can I get the ISO somewhere ?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Evidently, they've changed a few things with the activation in this update. It looks like, if you're going to do a "clean install", I'm assuming a valid key would be required, and the version (Pro, Home, etc) would be inherited from said key.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Silly question but how can we then do a clean install of W10 if we previously upgraded from 8.1?

If it asks for a key as mandatory now how do we get past it?

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no "Pro only" media. Windows 10 Retail media covers both Home and Pro. If the installer won't let you install Pro, then there is an issue with your Product Key. You could skip typing your Product Key and the installer should give you a choice of versions (if memory serves).

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Silly question but how can we then do a clean install of W10 if we previously upgraded from 8.1?

If it asks for a key as mandatory now how do we get past it?
This isn't a silly question. :) You can either use a tool to find your Product Key (Magical Jellybean Keyfinder may still be a useful app for this but be careful with finding it) or you just use the same Microsoft Account to log into your computer after the clean install (skip the Product Key entry during installation - yeah, that is an option). Your Microsoft Account will have the key stored on the Activation servers.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I was curious :grin:.

For the avoidance of doubt iso does contain two installers:

install.esd.PNG

Index 2.PNG

The result is the same if you use default settings or manually choose Windows 10 from the choice between Windows 10 and Windows 10 N.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Unless I was just not looking, when I created an ISO to perform a clean install, at the screen asking for a key I saw no option to enter it later anymore so I could not proceed.

Did I miss something?

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Unless I was just not looking, when I created an ISO to perform a clean install, at the screen asking for a key I saw no option to enter it later anymore so I could not proceed.

Did I miss something?

I did a clean install and ended up with the home version.I must of hit enter key later.Wonder what will happen if I enter the key now.Would be nice if it upgraded me to pro and unlocked those extra features

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
So I went through the process again with my bootable ISO.At no point was I prompted for a key.

I was asked to sign in with my microsoft account though and I believe this is my issue.

I Have both a home and pro licence,so I guess its only picking up my home licence digitally

Im doing it again one more time,but this time Il skip the microsoft login.

It should ask for my key after this,I hope: Will update later....

No,never asked for a key,must of picked up my hardware and gave me the home edition

Could try not signing in to wifi but fed up now

Last edited:

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Did I miss something?
Yeah, you probably did miss something. There is a little hyperlink that says "Skip for now" or something like that.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
So I went through the process again with my bootable ISO.At no point was I prompted for a key.

I was asked to sign in with my microsoft account though and I believe this is my issue.

I Have both a home and pro licence,so I guess its only picking up my home licence digitally

Im doing it again one more time,but this time Il skip the microsoft login.

It should ask for my key after this,I hope: Will update later....

No,never asked for a key,must of picked up my hardware and gave me the home edition

Could try not signing in to wifi but fed up now
You're definitely not having an easy time with this. Sorry to hear that. :(

Did you try changing your product key after getting Windows 10 Home installed? I believe that there is a way to enter a key to upgrade your installed edition from Home to Pro.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
If I go to update and security and activation and then go to store.It gives me an option to upgrade now.It goes through the process of preparing to upgrade and restarts,but then a upgrade fails on reboot

Update:

Success at last.Tried the store method a second time and it worked.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear you finally got it working!

Looks like if two licenses (Home & Pro) are tied to the same unique hardware ID, you have to go through Home to Pro?

Hmm.. that would make sense as if the initial in place update was a home license and then later upgraded to Pro via the upgrade method. Otherwise... it wouldn't lol...

Hopefully this is a one off :) and you shouldn't have this issue again the future.

This thread will definitely be helpful for others stuck in the same boat you were in previously.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so, I posted in this thread a few times about my concerns with a clean install.
However, I went ahead with it, made a bootable USB drive using the Media Creation Tool, installed Windows 10 Home (which the Acer laptop was running previously after upgrading for free from a legitimate 8.1) and now it won't activate.

Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code: 0x803F7001

How is this possible? It was running a legitimate version of Windows 10 before? When I last did a clean install of Windows 10 on the same device it seemed to activate itself immediately upon reinstall. Surely I don't have to buy a new key do I? I don't have the original factory recovery media either to go back to 8.1 and upgrade for free to 10. I shouldn't have to, I want a clean install.

Any help or solutions please?

Thanks.

Ian

Dhruvansh Soni

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@Ryujingt3 I'm having the exact same problem on my 16 gb tab which had to use the media creation tool from another laptop because it didn't have space to do the upgrade via windows update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12