The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-26-2017 08:53 AM
26 12
tools
    Im trying to do a clean install of the latest update for w10 pro but the media creation tool wont give an option for pro edition

How do I create media for pro edition or can I get the ISO somewhere ?
    11-13-2015 06:39 PM
    You can get the ISO here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=Wb6dtO_3

Follow the instructions for the "Media Creation Tool".

edit: I understand you've already tried this. hang on..
    11-13-2015 07:43 PM
    Evidently, they've changed a few things with the activation in this update. It looks like, if you're going to do a "clean install", I'm assuming a valid key would be required, and the version (Pro, Home, etc) would be inherited from said key.
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    11-13-2015 08:07 PM
    Silly question but how can we then do a clean install of W10 if we previously upgraded from 8.1?

If it asks for a key as mandatory now how do we get past it?
    11-13-2015 08:10 PM
    I believe it now lets you use your valid Win 7/8.1 key

Read more here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-in-windows-10
    Arunabha Goswami likes this.
    11-13-2015 08:16 PM
    There is no "Pro only" media. Windows 10 Retail media covers both Home and Pro. If the installer won't let you install Pro, then there is an issue with your Product Key. You could skip typing your Product Key and the installer should give you a choice of versions (if memory serves).
    Ed Boland likes this.
    11-13-2015 08:30 PM
    Silly question but how can we then do a clean install of W10 if we previously upgraded from 8.1?

If it asks for a key as mandatory now how do we get past it?
    This isn't a silly question. :) You can either use a tool to find your Product Key (Magical Jellybean Keyfinder may still be a useful app for this but be careful with finding it) or you just use the same Microsoft Account to log into your computer after the clean install (skip the Product Key entry during installation - yeah, that is an option). Your Microsoft Account will have the key stored on the Activation servers.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    11-13-2015 08:33 PM
    Right, so the ISO is now a "One size fits all" depending on your previous version and "Digital Entitlement".
    GrayW0lf likes this.
    11-13-2015 09:00 PM
    I was curious .

For the avoidance of doubt iso does contain two installers:

install.esd.png

index-2.png

The result is the same if you use default settings or manually choose Windows 10 from the choice between Windows 10 and Windows 10 N.
    GrayW0lf and Ed Boland like this.
    11-13-2015 09:14 PM
    Unless I was just not looking, when I created an ISO to perform a clean install, at the screen asking for a key I saw no option to enter it later anymore so I could not proceed.

Did I miss something?
    11-14-2015 12:24 AM
    Unless I was just not looking, when I created an ISO to perform a clean install, at the screen asking for a key I saw no option to enter it later anymore so I could not proceed.

Did I miss something?
    I did a clean install and ended up with the home version.I must of hit enter key later.Wonder what will happen if I enter the key now.Would be nice if it upgraded me to pro and unlocked those extra features
    11-14-2015 02:33 AM
    So I went through the process again with my bootable ISO.At no point was I prompted for a key.

I was asked to sign in with my microsoft account though and I believe this is my issue.

I Have both a home and pro licence,so I guess its only picking up my home licence digitally

Im doing it again one more time,but this time Il skip the microsoft login.

It should ask for my key after this,I hope: Will update later....

No,never asked for a key,must of picked up my hardware and gave me the home edition

Could try not signing in to wifi but fed up now
    Last edited by manus31; 11-14-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    11-14-2015 06:22 AM

Did I miss something?
    Yeah, you probably did miss something. There is a little hyperlink that says "Skip for now" or something like that.
    11-14-2015 07:41 AM
    So I went through the process again with my bootable ISO.At no point was I prompted for a key.

I was asked to sign in with my microsoft account though and I believe this is my issue.

I Have both a home and pro licence,so I guess its only picking up my home licence digitally

Im doing it again one more time,but this time Il skip the microsoft login.

It should ask for my key after this,I hope: Will update later....

No,never asked for a key,must of picked up my hardware and gave me the home edition

Could try not signing in to wifi but fed up now
    You're definitely not having an easy time with this. Sorry to hear that. :(

Did you try changing your product key after getting Windows 10 Home installed? I believe that there is a way to enter a key to upgrade your installed edition from Home to Pro.
    11-14-2015 07:44 AM
    Hi, what is the difference of Windows 10 N?
    11-14-2015 07:54 AM
    If I go to update and security and activation and then go to store.It gives me an option to upgrade now.It goes through the process of preparing to upgrade and restarts,but then a upgrade fails on reboot

Update:

Success at last.Tried the store method a second time and it worked.
    Last edited by manus31; 11-14-2015 at 08:39 AM.
    11-14-2015 08:28 AM
    Good to hear you finally got it working!

Looks like if two licenses (Home & Pro) are tied to the same unique hardware ID, you have to go through Home to Pro?

Hmm.. that would make sense as if the initial in place update was a home license and then later upgraded to Pro via the upgrade method. Otherwise... it wouldn't lol...

Hopefully this is a one off :) and you shouldn't have this issue again the future.

This thread will definitely be helpful for others stuck in the same boat you were in previously.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 11-14-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
    manus31, Ed Boland and GrayW0lf like this.
    11-14-2015 09:59 AM

This thread will definitely be helpful for others stuck in the same boat you were in previously.
    Agreed!
    manus31 and TechFreak1 like this.
    11-14-2015 10:27 AM
    Okay, so, I posted in this thread a few times about my concerns with a clean install.
    However, I went ahead with it, made a bootable USB drive using the Media Creation Tool, installed Windows 10 Home (which the Acer laptop was running previously after upgrading for free from a legitimate 8.1) and now it won't activate.

Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code: 0x803F7001

How is this possible? It was running a legitimate version of Windows 10 before? When I last did a clean install of Windows 10 on the same device it seemed to activate itself immediately upon reinstall. Surely I don't have to buy a new key do I? I don't have the original factory recovery media either to go back to 8.1 and upgrade for free to 10. I shouldn't have to, I want a clean install.

Any help or solutions please?

Thanks.

Ian
    11-15-2015 04:06 AM
    @Ryujingt3 I'm having the exact same problem on my 16 gb tab which had to use the media creation tool from another laptop because it didn't have space to do the upgrade via windows update.
    11-15-2015 12:09 PM
    @Ryujingt3 I'm having the exact same problem on my 16 gb tab which had to use the media creation tool from another laptop because it didn't have space to do the upgrade via windows update.
    Mine cannot be due to replacement hardware - it's a laptop.

I contacted MS support and they were not much help to be honest. I have since used the same Media creation Tool to 'upgrade' my installation to see if that works. Will report back and see, I am not holding my breath. I don't want to go back to 8.1 to upgrade to 10 just for this.

We should be able to do a clean install. I did a clean install of Windows 10 before on the same machine and it activated itself automatically with no problem so I am not sure why I get this error now.
    11-15-2015 11:52 PM
    @Ryujingt3 Mine isn't either, I selected all the same options and everything like it said in the Windows central post. I too contacted MS support and they basically told me to contact the oem... which is useless because the oem has nothing for the tab :/ I don't really know what to do now.
    11-16-2015 02:34 AM
    I don't have my OEM recovery media for 8.1 anymore and we shouldn't have to do that. I was able to clean install W10, I don't understand why I can't do it again.

I will try a few more things and post back.

Ian
    11-16-2015 05:35 AM
    I don't have my OEM recovery media for 8.1 anymore and we shouldn't have to do that. I was able to clean install W10, I don't understand why I can't do it again.

I will try a few more things and post back.

Ian
    Same here. I can't install 8.1 either because of some bug in intel DPTF drivers which won't let me do it. The fall upgrade wrecked my touch screen (doesn't work at all anymore) and many many cpu drivers. :/ This shouldn't happen!!
    11-16-2015 06:32 AM
    If you've already upgraded or installed Windows 10 and want to do a clean installed:
    Go to Settings, Update&Security, Recovery. Under the top section "Reset this PC" click "Get Started". Then opt to not keep anything upon restoring the unit.

If you have another version that is NOT Windows 10, you'll need to download the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool. Or obtain the ISO. Have your Windows Product key handy. It's a sticker on your computer somewhere (bottom, side, top, back). Or use the Magical Jellybean Key Finder. Note the version just in case. Run the Windows 10 tool and upgrade your unit, keeping everything. This will register your current Windows version key with Microsoft. Once Windows 10 is installed, follow above option for clean install. The Media Creation tool include the pro version.

You should really make a new Microsoft Account if you have not done so already. Preferably a brand new Outlook.com email account, OR create an alias for your existing account with the oulook.com domain. This can be done via the web on your MS Account page.

Some computers did not get the upgrade option yet to Windows 10 because drivers are still being developed. You can try using the Media Creation tool to leapfrog to Win10, but drivers may not be available for your specific computer. Even if you got the upgrade to Win10 option, drivers can still cause issues. Those are not Microsoft issues, but manufacturer. I'd go to your device Manufacturer website and download all drivers for your device and save to flash drive first, then install Win10. If drivers are needed, just install from your flash drive. Most important is your network drivers. Once you're online, you can download the rest.
    11-16-2015 08:55 PM
26 12