Why does the resolution change when 1 monitor turns off and on by itself?

Fidodido1966

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 monitors plugged on my desktop PC running widows 10 pro. I'm facing a technical issue with one of them but cannot replace it for now. The problem on that monitor is that it turns off and on by itself randomly. Each time it happens, the resolution on the monitor that doesn't have this problem changes. This is very annoying of course. Is there anyone here that knows how to prevent this? Please answer only if you know exactly how to resolve this. Thanks :)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Resolution changes when 1 monitor turns off and on by itself

Please answer only if you know exactly how to resolve this.
Probably why no one has answered.

If you're still having issues, it would be helpful to have additional information to be able to troubleshoot your issue in order to assist properly.

If you have a manufacturer pre-built PC, it would be helpful to know the make and model of that PC. It would also be helpful to know more about the graphics hardware. Is this a PC with graphics embedded on the motherboard? Or do you have a dedicated graphics card? Multiple dedicated graphics cards? What is the make/model of any and all graphics cards that are installed in the PC? What is the manufacturer software and version for the graphics drivers installed? What is the make/model of the working monitor on which the resolution is changing?

Graphics drivers from varying manufacturers are notorious for causing issues just like this. Sometimes the most recent graphics driver is the one that will resolve your issue. Sometimes you have to make sure you have a driver that prior to the most recent, sometimes by one or two releases.

If you still need assistance, provide some additional information and we'll do our best to help.

Fidodido1966

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site

Hello rhapdog,

Here is the missing information you're asking me to add:
1-It's not a pre-built PC and I built it myself
2-It's the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 embedded on the motherboard
3-Driver version is 10.18.15.4256

Regarding monitors, they're actually HD TV's. I know for a fact that this problem has nothing to do with them because first of all I didn't have this problem with my previous desktop PC and secondly I just replaced the TV that behaved that way and the problem persists, so I would tend to agree with you that it has more to do with the embedded graphics chipset per se or it's driver. Finally, I've had several driver updates since I acquired this machine in march 2015 of course.

What would you suggest I do then? Thanks :))

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

If that is the version number for the graphics driver, I'd install the latest graphics driver version. It's old.

The current driver for Windows 10, 64-bit for the Intel HD 4400 Graphics is located here. If that's not the correct one for your OS/GPU then please use the site search at Intel to find the correct one.

The version I'm finding for the HD4400 is 15.40.10.64.4300 published on October 16, 2015. I would grab that latest one before testing anything else.

Version 10.18.15.4256 to 15.40.10.64.4300 is a pretty big jump in version numbers, so it is very possible this is the issue.

Fidodido1966

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site

I need to thank you again because you just brougth something pretty important to my attention. I assumed that Windows Update would update my driver automatically but it doesn't. I will definitely have to keep and eye on that from now on. Unfortunately, updating my drive didn't resolve the issue though. I'm actually not surprised since I've had this problem for quite a while, even when I had windows 8.1 installed with the graphics driver getting automatically updated with that Windows version. Any other ideas that comme to your mind?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

One other idea that comes to mind is to check the manufacturer's website for a BIOS update. Sometimes a bug in the system BIOS can be the culprit.

Fidodido1966

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site

You might be right but this is too much of a minor issue for me to take that risk. Thanks for your help :))

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos