Is the Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter worth it?

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Now I'm up and running with Windows 10 and a Surface Pro 4, I'm intrigued by being able to project my screen to my TV, especially when playing games like Spartan Strike etc. I have a cable but I think it's pretty cheap and not always reliable, plus, projecting would just be easier.

The Microsoft adapter is pretty pricey though, is it worth the money or would a typical Miracast adapter do the same job at a third of the price? Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I would like to hear what people think and use too.

When traveling, (Hotel Rooms) I use a mini display port to HDMI adaptor and a 10 foot HDMI cable with my SurfacePro 2. Works perfectly.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought two last night at Best Buy as they have them for half off right now ($30 instead of $60).

I have had nothing but trouble with them. Initially i was able to connect with my 1520 running the developer preview. I then tried to connect my surface pro and the screen would say "connecting to surface pro" and then go black. The TV was still on and my surface pro showed connected but nothing would come up on the screen. This happend for several hours while i did some troubleshooting.

To make a long story short, apparently both my less than 24 month old TV's have an issue where once you connect, you have to refresh the HDMI port to get it to display a picture. I have to connect through the adapter, then switch to a different input, and then switch back to HDMI hopefully before it disconnects me. Annoying enough that I may take them back as my original intention was to stream live TV from the XBOX One through the smartglass app so i could be ready for when Microsoft ditches Windows Media Center completely.

There is another issue with this if you connect with a windows phone. If you connect to live TV with the smartglass app, the TV will play vertically through the adapter. Apparently, it auto rotates a live TV stream on the phone, but the adapter still thinks its vertical and I haven't been able to figure out how to change it. I'm going to try smartglass through an iPhone and apple TV to see if it sill displays vertically tonight.

I think i might just go back to Windows Media Center until it dies for good.

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The NowTV box doesn't support Miracast unfortunately, I have one as well as a Roku Stick (Which does have Miracast Support)

Also, if you have an Xbox One you can use that as a Miracast receiver too (Instead of the MS Wireless Display Adapter), I've had good luck with that and my phone. My general experience with Miracast isn't great, and if you don't mind the wires then a cabled solution is the most reliable.

I don't know how well Miracast would work for fast paced games like Spartan Assault/Strike because there's noticeable input lag when just navigating the OS - I used Miracast from my Lumia 930 to my Xbox One the other week so me and my wife could play a quiz style game from my phone but on the TV and it worked okay for that.

I've not had as good results with my Surface Pro 3, but I've not tried Miracast with it for a while. I think any problems are more to do with the Miracast technology itself. Quite a few reviews out there talk about the mixed experience I've had. I find the Xbox One is more reliable than the Roku Stick for making a connection from my Lumia.

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for replies, would be a bummer not to be able to stream well. Cable is easiest - my thinking was if you cast to a TV, and then played a sort of 'pass and play' game like Talisman, it would be easier for others to follow on the TV while someone holds the tablet. Doesn't seem to be a conclusive view on whether the Microsoft adapter is worth it per se - rather people have problems with all of them!

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
The NowTV box doesn't support Miracast unfortunately, I have one as well as a Roku Stick (Which does have Miracast Support)

Also, if you have an Xbox One you can use that as a Miracast receiver too (Instead of the MS Wireless Display Adapter), I've had good luck with that and my phone. My general experience with Miracast isn't great, and if you don't mind the wires then a cabled solution is the most reliable.

I don't know how well Miracast would work for fast paced games like Spartan Assault/Strike because there's noticeable input lag when just navigating the OS - I used Miracast from my Lumia 930 to my Xbox One the other week so me and my wife could play a quiz style game from my phone but on the TV and it worked okay for that.

I've not had as good results with my Surface Pro 3, but I've not tried Miracast with it for a while. I think any problems are more to do with the Miracast technology itself. Quite a few reviews out there talk about the mixed experience I've had. I find the Xbox One is more reliable than the Roku Stick for making a connection from my Lumia.
How do you Miracast to the Xbox one? I cannot find it in my devices.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I would like to hear what people think and use too.

When traveling, (Hotel Rooms) I use a mini display port to HDMI adaptor and a 10 foot HDMI cable with my SurfacePro 2. Works perfectly.

I'm same as you.. I have that mini HDMI with the 10 foot cable. Works flawlessly for me on my Surface 2. I also have a Jawbone that I Bluetooth if I want to just watch it on Surface and not let anyone know I'm not paying attention... :)

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if they'll make a 4k version. Of course a standard for that would need to coagulate which it seems has not happened yet.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought one for my sp4.

Connects easily and no delay. Only problem is that my tv is very old and the resolution on it sucks! but the device it self works well.

I need to go visit my parents and try it on their brand new flat screen :)

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for replies, all. Sounds like some people have problems, works perfect for others, might have a bit of lag that makes faster paces games unlikely so have a cable handy either way. Adapter is reduced to ?35 on Amazon so might take a punt and get one!

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Now I'm up and running with Windows 10 and a Surface Pro 4, I'm intrigued by being able to project my screen to my TV, especially when playing games like Spartan Strike etc. I have a cable but I think it's pretty cheap and not always reliable, plus, projecting would just be easier.

The Microsoft adapter is pretty pricey though, is it worth the money or would a typical Miracast adapter do the same job at a third of the price? Any recommendations?

Cheers!

I've had a few Miracast devices, and the Microsoft Display Store was by far the best. In more than one case, the difference was night and day.

You can pick one up at Best Buy right now for $29.

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Cheers fella, I've plumped for the Microsoft stuff just because I always get wary of non-branded stuff when it comes to tech. Sometimes it's fine but when it isn't it becomes a right pain. For the sake of ?10-20 I've just gone for the official version. Doing the same for a wireless gamepad adapter too.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure about the device compatibility. It's sounds like people with Surfaces are the only ones to connect. I tried and Alienware 18 and an Acer As8950G and neither can't see it.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, which Microsoft device are people using? The Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (rectangular)

<microsoft.com%252Faccessories%252Fen-us%252Fproducts%252Fadapters%252Fmicrosoft-wireless-display-adapter%252Fcg4-00001>

or the Microsoft HD-10 Miracast Adapter (circular)

<microsoftstore.com%252Fstore%252Fmsusa%252Fen_US%252Fpdp%252FproductID.309288100>

Does anyone have both and could compare and contrast them?

Edit: Sorry, I am having some troubles adding the correct URLs. Still trying to get them right. You may have to do a BING search.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't have both I'm afraid. Tested out the adapter though and it works great - played Spartan Strike on it and if there was a lag it was barely noticeable. Played Super House of Dead Ninjas and it froze up a bit every now and then but it did that on the tablet too - so would need to test it without the adapter projecting the display to know if it was affecting it or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12