One handed mode...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You can't completely disable it, so it never shows up again, but you can just exit it by pressing (or holding, can't remember) the windows key, or by tapping the top portion of the screen.

tap and hold to pull down; tap and hold to push back up (tapping on the top part of the screen also works to get back to full screen but if you can do that, why pull down the screen in the first place hehe)

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
tap and hold to pull down; tap and hold to push back up (tapping on the top part of the screen also works to get back to full screen but if you can do that, why pull down the screen in the first place hehe)

True, though you don't have to reach for the top most part, you can press just above the middle of the screen.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The way this feature is implemented (on both W10M and iOS) makes it mostly useless. Instead of actually resizing the app, it just pushes the screen downwards. It makes the top half more accessible but in the process makes the bottom half completely inaccessible.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I totally disagree. WP8.1 has a radically different UI design language from Android and iOS. It uses sophisticated typography, suave but understated animations, and emphasises the benefit of a clean, clear screen with the minimum of visual noise.

WP8.1 makes Android and iOS look like clunky old has-beens from the last century, ESPECIALLY with that tired old icons-on-a-desktop paradigm. Both are far more complex, messy and inconsistent that WP8.1, which is remarkable in its simplicity (the only exception being the disastrous settings screen, which someone should have been sacked for).

Sadly, W10M has abandoned all the UI goodness of WP8.1 and deliberately adopted an Android look-and-feel so that developers will find it easier to port Android and iOS apps across. I believe that to be a disastrously bad decision by Microsoft, and one which won't work anyway.

As someone who has been an Android user for a long and now a Windows Phone user (although I've been using W10M for the past few days), I believe that W10M is the best OS is terms of design.

To me it seems that it combines the best elements of Android/iOS and WP8.1, like the familiar design of Android (who doesn't know that hamburger menus exist?) and the benefits of using a start screen with Live Tiles, instead of multiple, filled with app icons pages (*cough* iOS *cough*).

I understand that not everyone likes W10M, but it's all about preferences. Not everyone likes the same thing...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The way this feature is implemented (on both W10M and iOS) makes it mostly useless. Instead of actually resizing the app, it just pushes the screen downwards. It makes the top half more accessible but in the process makes the bottom half completely inaccessible.

While the screen is pulled down, you can easily scroll :/ btw why would you need to access the bottom part when using this feature? It's simply meant to give you quick access to tiles or whatever that are at the very top

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
While the screen is pulled down, you can easily scroll :/ btw why would you need to access the bottom part when using this feature? It's simply meant to give you quick access to tiles or whatever that are at the very top
The scrolling doesn't adapt to one-handed mode. For example, in the Weather app, you can scroll some, but it stops where it would if it were full screen, leaving the thermometer display hidden.

Now you wouldn't really use one-handed mode in Weather, but let's say you're using Facebook, and you need to click a link at the top, scroll some, click a link at the bottom, you get the point. With the current implementation, you would have to repeatedly enter and exit one-handed mode. But if they actually resized the app, you could just stay in one-handed mode and continue using the app.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The scrolling doesn't adapt to one-handed mode. For example, in the Weather app, you can scroll some, but it stops where it would if it were full screen, leaving the thermometer display hidden.

Now you wouldn't really use one-handed mode in Weather, but let's say you're using Facebook, and you need to click a link at the top, scroll some, click a link at the bottom, you get the point. With the current implementation, you would have to repeatedly enter and exit one-handed mode. But if they actually resized the app, you could just stay in one-handed mode and continue using the app.

I see your point :) I would like to say that this is just an early version, but that just sounds like im defending MS lol

It's not a perfect answer, but share this feedback in the (you know it) feedback app

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I would like to say that this is just an early version, but that just sounds like im defending MS lol
Oh yeah, I certainly don't think this should be Microsoft's highest priority, there's lots of other bugs for them to fix. :) I don't even use one-handed mode so I'm not particularly bothered by this, just thought it could be implemented better.

William O

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
The top post does not explain how to DISABLE one handed mode. I also want to DISABLE this mode. It is horrific in implementation. I don't ever want to see it. It is a foolish option that gets in the way. There needs to be a way to DISABLE the feature. Another annoyance.
DISBALE
english

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The top post does not explain how to DISABLE one handed mode. I also want to DISABLE this mode. It is horrific in implementation. I don't ever want to see it. It is a foolish option that gets in the way. There needs to be a way to DISABLE the feature. Another annoyance.
DISBALE
english
Without hacking the system, you can't disable it. You'd bee in luck if there's a registry setting you can change, though I don't think so. But if you knew about registry hacks you probably wouldn't ask that here - you'd do it on your own.
So, the bottom line is, you can't disable it.

shodaime zack

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
DISBALE
english

agree with you...i played a lot of online game in my phone and accidentally press the one hand mode...god....really Microsoft..at least make a setting wheter to on or off the mode...but what can we do..

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
If you are activating it accidentally so much, why don't you just hide the bottom bar? (swipe up a bit from the bottom, and again to show it)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium