Most posts about lumia 950/950xl and not 550. Why is that?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The 950/950XL are flagship phones everyone has been waiting for. The 550 is a great budget phone, but those have been coming out more often

Nicholas Ek

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I think it's happening for two reasons:

There has never been a shortage of low-end devices in the market, while the last flagship came last summer. Flagships also have more features, therefore increasing public interest even more.

The other reason, I think, is that Lumia 550 will be made available starting in December, after the 950s. It can't "steal their thunder" if it's coming later and it's not different from existing low-end devices.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The 950/950XL are flagship phones everyone has been waiting for. The 550 is a great budget phone, but those have been coming out more often

I don't think that's entirely true. I think the 640 is a better phone/value in almost all terms. I don't see why anyone would get the 550 instead of the 640

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
In simple terms the 950/950XL may finally fill the bill for the needs of the premium phone fans.

The low end "candy bar" devices aren't what many upper echelon Microsoft fans want in light of device upgrades.
Perhaps if the 950 series are a success the low end will go by the wayside...

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
In simple terms the 950/950XL may finally fill the bill for the needs of the premium phone fans.

The low end "candy bar" devices aren't what many upper echelon Microsoft fans want in light of device upgrades.

That sounds a little like elitism. Premium phone fans are likely to be with other OS's as the market there is aimed at high end devices over functionality of the OS. I would hazard a guess that Microsoft 'candy bar' devices are probably the biggest sellers in markets where 'flagship' devices are unobtainable, be that economics or lack of services providers. What about the Asia market? Lots of guys and gals on here from India etc , mostly using 'low end' devices. That market must be huge for your standard phone. I can't see budget devices, especially in that market, being dropped. I wonder, if like me, they resent the comment of 'upper echelon'. I have 9 devices, including a 930. I hate it! I am more than happy to run a 'lowly' 1320. I'm More than happy to use my 640 xl, so does that bar me from being an 'upper echelon' club member??

Here in the UK, a friend of mine works for Car Phone Warehouse. The biggest selling Win Phone is the 640, outselling many budget android phones. After the 640 comes the 435, then 535. So, as for candy bar phones, not every one has the means or the inclination to blow ?500 on a device. I can see the 550 selling quite well as, with the previously mentioned devices above, people can't, or won't, pay for a two year deal and tie themselves in knots. The 550 at ?80 and a sim only deal could save a fortune, especially just before the festive season.

Finally, I don't see this device as a 'retail' unit. The design seems to be aimed at the enterprise market. Although if continuum, and display dock function as promised, it could be a way of me not having to buy another laptop!! Let's see how many start whinging about it after the honeymoon period ;) That's the only reason I would take one on as then it would save me on other devices.

Yours, a lowly device user

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
My other half has a 520 and is in the market for a new phone. She is trying to decide whether to go for a 550 or the likely 650 coming out in Jan/Feb

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I like that ending

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking forward to hearing more about it, especially about it's release! It hits a lot of sweet spots. A lot of people are comparing it to the 640, so they aren't really paying attention. Regardless, the size, and most of the specs interest me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo