Windows 7 Pro vs Windows 10 Pro..which one is better?

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
So which of these versions of Windows is better, Win 7 Pro or Win 10 Pro? I will be receiving my brand new HP Envy 15t quad lap top core i7 6th gen coming in this week, it is going to have Windows 7 Pro installed. I will be coming off from an old 2006 Toshiba Satellite Intel centrino core duo laptop running Win XP, which I might add that I still use it to this day. It will be my first time ever having the Pro version of Windows.

So I do have several questions.

1. Will I be able to run programs I have on XP better on Win 7 Pro or could I also run them using Win 10 Pro? Can running XP programs work by emulation on Win 10 pro?

2.Which one is better for games, Win 7 Pro or Win 10 pro? Well I guess the better question regarding games is will Windows 7 Pro have access to DirectX 12?

3.What will I be losing when I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro?

4.What will I gain by upgrading to Win 10 Pro? other than the fact that I will run Windows 10 with the mtero UI/Win 10 apps/Cortana as those benefits I already know about. And as an fyi, it is not my first time using Win 10. I have upgraded family member's Win 8 PCs to Win 10, just personally haven't used one on a daily basis.

Lastly since I will probably be doing the upgrade right away, do I actually need to do a "clean install" of Windows 10 Pro if I do decide to upgrade?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Alright since I'm in a hurry I'll answer the quick questions and I'll try to get back on later and answer the rest.
Windows XP programs should run fine on Windows 10 but I cannot guarantee they'll all work because they won't. But then again, they won't all work on Windows XP. Windows 10 has been doing pretty good with backwards compatibility from my usage, and I've not had any issues running legacy programs.
Windows 7 does not have access to DirextX12
And you shouldn't need a clean install, especially if you upgrade as soon as possible without putting all your files on the computer first.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm also in a hurry but I can say that off the top of my head the answer to all those is "Go 10!"

Don't think a clean install is necessary, I didn't.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
With windows 10-

We need to spend a lot of time in customizing it to your needs(privacy,location,language,speech, etc and all other stuff in settings and control panel.)

windows media player 12 is a complete downgrade from wmp 11(no toolbar in taskbar, can't stream radio stations directly, no advanced tag editor,no windows media center )

What you get with Windows 10 are cr*p apps and store along with cortana and edge and no way to completely remove them.we can't open them directly.They are like emulated in container and when you open the exe file directly of app downloaded from store you get an error "this app has to be opened in a container"

Splash screen for system apps-it takes about 2secs to actually use calculator even in my i5 8gb notebook. Plus windows apps use a lot of memory than a traditional win 32 programs.

Software- all my programs did work in windows 10 excluding 1 which was only compatible with win 98 and Xp.

As for games I didn't experience any issues while installing and playing them(steam content).

Last edited by a moderator:

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone, wasn't sure if XP applications could run-on Win 10 I'll give it a try and see how many I won't need to buy new versions of. I do have games that aren't on steam so I'll try them one by one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett