Windows TV/Movies app - subtitles not working

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey

So how do you make it work? Some guys claimed months ago that subtitles are working and now when they even officialy updated it with .srt support I still cant make it work.

I tried to move subtitles file over the screen - not working
I tried renaming the subtitles as the file I want to play - not working.

Any ideas?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Subtitles only work when they are embedded like on MKV, not srt. Same with audio, you can have embedded audio and they will show up.

I took this screenshot to show you how it should look on a MKV, but srt never happened, we only got subtitle support but it's because it's embedded like when you watch movies online. who knows if they will really support srt or what, but nobody ever said it really happened.

01.PNG

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Subtitles only work when they are embedded like on MKV, not srt. Same with audio, you can have embedded audio and they will show up.

I took this screenshot to show you how it should look on a MKV, but srt never happened, we only got subtitle support but it's because it's embedded like when you watch movies online. who knows if they will really support srt or what, but nobody ever said it really happened.

View attachment 116828

Not true, take a look here: Movies & TV update brings support for SRT subtitle files and more | Windows Central

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Oh yeah yeah, well I thought that subtitle support was only for mobile since I never got it working on desktop, and you know, sometimes the features are for one and not the other, and I never really researched much, since I use Potplayer to watch movies so never cared about it.

But I found out what you have to do in order to get subtitles and it's simple:
You only need to add your folder, where the movie(s) is/are on the Video app. that's why it should work if you put your videos on the user video folder, and let it update the list.

But in my case I had to add "D:\Movies" and once you lunch the video on the app, then the subtitles will be recognized if they have the same name of the movie.

You are right, I just thought it worked like other video players where you just double click but I just thought "well it doesn't work, but maybe if I add the folder to the library...."
and it worked so yeah, it seems the feature is on desktop video app and it works.

01.jpg

I also tested, if I double click on the file, it will work as expected. it will lunch with the CC option, but everything was about my movie folders not added into the app.
so I guess we solved the mystery like scooby-doo? it seems you could have figure it out too, but anyway I guess I did it and now everyone can rest in peace.

Have a good day!

Also... your subtitles must be on ANSI or UTF-8 for them to work. I just tested that, by saving them with notepad, I noticed a subtitle wasn't recognized, it was on Unicode, so when I saved as ANSI and UTF-8 it worked. so maybe you should do that in order for them to work properly if you see subtitles working on a movie but not on others.
I also saw that you can have many srt subtitle languages in your folder, so you are not restricted to only have subtitles having the same name of the movie, you can add xxxx.eng.srt, xxxx.lat.srt and so on, so that's good too for people who need it.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah yeah, well I thought that subtitle support was only for mobile since I never got it working on desktop, and you know, sometimes the features are for one and not the other, and I never really researched much, since I use Potplayer to watch movies so never cared about it.

But I found out what you have to do in order to get subtitles and it's simple:
You only need to add your folder, where the movie(s) is/are on the Video app. that's why it should work if you put your videos on the user video folder, and let it update the list.

But in my case I had to add "D:\Movies" and once you lunch the video on the app, then the subtitles will be recognized if they have the same name of the movie.

You are right, I just thought it worked like other video players where you just double click but I just thought "well it doesn't work, but maybe if I add the folder to the library...."
and it worked so yeah, it seems the feature is on desktop video app and it works.

View attachment 116853

I also tested, if I double click on the file, it will work as expected. it will lunch with the CC option, but everything was about my movie folders not added into the app.
so I guess we solved the mystery like scooby-doo? it seems you could have figure it out too, but anyway I guess I did it and now everyone can rest in peace.

Have a good day!

Also... your subtitles must be on ANSI or UTF-8 for them to work. I just tested that, by saving them with notepad, I noticed a subtitle wasn't recognized, it was on Unicode, so when I saved as ANSI and UTF-8 it worked. so maybe you should do that in order for them to work properly if you see subtitles working on a movie but not on others.
I also saw that you can have many srt subtitle languages in your folder, so you are not restricted to only have subtitles having the same name of the movie, you can add xxxx.eng.srt, xxxx.lat.srt and so on, so that's good too for people who need it.

Thank you for such an detailed answer ! Makes sense, it works now. But honestly a little odd that I am forced to have the files in Video folder to use subtitles Oo.

I also use other player (KMplayer) but I really like the simplistic design and speed of TV Movies app from Microsoft so I was really looking forward to adding srt support. Thanks again

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for such an detailed answer ! Makes sense, it works now. But honestly a little odd that I am forced to have the files in Video folder to use subtitles Oo.

I also use other player (KMplayer) but I really like the simplistic design and speed of TV Movies app from Microsoft so I was really looking forward to adding srt support. Thanks again
}

Yeah I know, it's silly. also the subtitles having to be ANSI or UTF-8 is annoying too.

I use potplayer, it even added support for Xbox controller in their last update. it has touch gestures and all. I used to use KMplayer but now Potplayer became better, also kmplayer I recall installing weird stuff with it. but potplayer has too many options, so it's sometimes not good for non tech users, who can press C or E and mess with video and don't know how to "fix" it.

I guess somehow it makes sense for Videos app to request having the videos in library before recognizing the subtitles, but compared to other video player it doesn't make sense.

But I am glad you got it working, I guess Microsoft should have explained that in their answers.microsoft post not only the name of the subtitle matter but also the movies/folder being added to library first.

anyway! take care and hope you don't have so many problems with video app in future.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
}

Yeah I know, it's silly. also the subtitles having to be ANSI or UTF-8 is annoying too.

I use potplayer, it even added support for Xbox controller in their last update. it has touch gestures and all. I used to use KMplayer but now Potplayer became better, also kmplayer I recall installing weird stuff with it. but potplayer has too many options, so it's sometimes not good for non tech users, who can press C or E and mess with video and don't know how to "fix" it.

I guess somehow it makes sense for Videos app to request having the videos in library before recognizing the subtitles, but compared to other video player it doesn't make sense.

But I am glad you got it working, I guess Microsoft should have explained that in their answers.microsoft post not only the name of the subtitle matter but also the movies/folder being added to library first.

anyway! take care and hope you don't have so many problems with video app in future.

Yea KM is worse than before, it has a lot of ads. Thanks again youre really kind :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa