Why won't all my texts restore on my new 950?

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Sooooo.....interestingly, I'm driving into work this morning and my car starts showing notifications that I've got a bunch of incoming texts (its a 2016 Mazda 6 connected via Bluetooth to my 950 in case that means anything), some from people that I haven't talked to in a long time and a bunch of texts from my girlfriend. But when I check the texts on the phone, there aren't any new ones. So, I started to scroll back through my texts and noticed that I now have some that I didn't have before. What's even more confusing is that some of the texts that came through in the thread with my girlfriend aren't in any sort of sequence. Previously, it had stopped restoring any texts from her before 10/21/15. Now, I have texts from her all the way back from January, but nothing in between January and October. I'm not sure what triggered the texts to start downloading again after a week of having this phone. I did have my phone on airplane mode all night because I left my charger at work since haven't gotten an extra charger yet. I don't know if the correlation of disabling airplane mode is what caused the texts to start downloading, but I figured I'd pass the info along. I'm going to keep an eye on it all day and see if it continues to download texts throughout the course of the day.

patryk.szady

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to manually restore texts? I had to reset my 950 and none want to download. Originally when I got the phone and started with a clean slate, it seemed like most of my texts downloaded. None want to download now. I Have years and years of texts in the cloud. Never had a problem with them not downloading..even back from WP7 days.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Sooooo.....interestingly, I'm driving into work this morning and my car starts showing notifications that I've got a bunch of incoming texts (its a 2016 Mazda 6 connected via Bluetooth to my 950 in case that means anything), some from people that I haven't talked to in a long time and a bunch of texts from my girlfriend. But when I check the texts on the phone, there aren't any new ones. So, I started to scroll back through my texts and noticed that I now have some that I didn't have before. What's even more confusing is that some of the texts that came through in the thread with my girlfriend aren't in any sort of sequence. Previously, it had stopped restoring any texts from her before 10/21/15. Now, I have texts from her all the way back from January, but nothing in between January and October. I'm not sure what triggered the texts to start downloading again after a week of having this phone. I did have my phone on airplane mode all night because I left my charger at work since haven't gotten an extra charger yet. I don't know if the correlation of disabling airplane mode is what caused the texts to start downloading, but I figured I'd pass the info along. I'm going to keep an eye on it all day and see if it continues to download texts throughout the course of the day.

I did a hard reset on my lumia 1020 last night and it seems to have properly downloaded all my texts this time. Prior to last night it would download maybe a month then jump back to 2013. Now it seems to be downloading everything. Hard to say for sure, given it's a few years of texts.... but it looks like it.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Here is how I was able to transfer my sms and mms using the contacts+ messaging app from my 1020 to 950. I backed up sms and mms using the app to the documents folder on the 1020. Then connected the 1020 to a computer. I copied the entire folder it created to an SD card. Then inserted that sd card into the 950. Ran the app and it gave the option to restore. I got an error the first time when trying restore mms, but tried it again and it worked. The only downside was that my group text threads got broken up into different threads. That might just be a 10 issue. Not sure if people are seeing that when doing a cloud restore. Update - be careful with this. You will want to disable message sync\ backup or else you may be duplicating your texts on the phone and in the cloud backup. I turned on sync after doing a manual restore and set it to only sync one month. However it duplicated or triplicated all my messages going back more than a year. I did get my group texts restored correctly as one thread after turning sync on. It seems that maybe messages are restoring faster now. So I would recommend manual restore only as a last resort or if you never want to use message backup.

Last edited:

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
What I find interesting is that I did a factory reset on my 640 on build 10586 and it got all of my messages, my new 950 got the last 1.5 days worth.

I don't really want to do a factory reset and try again, as it takes hours to get all the apps downloaded/upgrade configured, etc... I guess I can give it a little more time, but really...

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Oh, the other thing I noticed is that the messages that got restore to my 640 have been duplicated about 7 times... But maybe that is because all the old TP builds uploaded the messages over and over again from different phones/installs.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
You might be able to see them on outlook.com, Click the gear icon, Manage Categories, Check Show in Folder Pane for Contacts. Go back to the folder pane, Click Contacts under Categories, and arrange by Conversation. Some texts to me show up there.

That appears to show all text messages received via WP8.1 and older. None of the messages that I have gotten since the switch to Windows 10 Mobile...

But in any case those aren't even restoring to my new 950... :unhappysweat:

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
What I find interesting is that I did a factory reset on my 640 on build 10586 and it got all of my messages, my new 950 got the last 1.5 days worth.

I don't really want to do a factory reset and try again, as it takes hours to get all the apps downloaded/upgrade configured, etc... I guess I can give it a little more time, but really...

I'm with you on this. I'm going to wait it out. I don't really want to wipe the phone and start over.

As an update: Even though my phone pulled down more texts randomly, I still have lots of gaps in my text messages.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
So I ended up doing a reset on my 950 and did three things different:
  • I put my SIM in during the setup
  • I restored the WP8.1 backup (Instead of the WM10 from my test 640.)
  • I didn't update the Skype or Message+Skype app

And it appears at least one, or a combination, of those things caused the text messages to properly restore. (Well all except the most of the ~3 days worth that were during the time I was using my 640 as a test on WM10-10586.11.)

Tomorrow I will update the apps and see if the remaining message sync.

So who know which of them caused the difference, but I really don't feel like doing it all again to find out.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to give that a shot at some point soon, I think. I won't be restoring from a backup though since I'm convinced that doesn't do anything with regards to texting. I'll let you know how it works.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Update: It appears that ~2 days later I have finally gotten all of my text messages back. (With duplicates, up to 7 of them, of some messages.)

And on top of that my phone is no longer getting really warm when it is just in my pocket and the battery life seems much better.

I don't know if Microsoft fixed something on their servers today or if it really just takes that long for the old messages to sync.

I turned on my 521 that hasn't been on since Wednesday and it has synced messages that it hadn't in the past, though it still hasn't gotten to current. And my 640 that I wiped and reset yesterday hasn't gotten all of the messages yet either. (it is only up to 11/27.) Interestingly neither the 521 or 640 get hot or have the fast battery run down while the messages are syncing. (But again, maybe Microsoft fixed something server side today.)

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Having just updated to WP10 on a 640, I can not find the text back up mode. On WP8.1, it was under the regular backup. On this one, I have found to go to settings, messaging, then check backup. Except, that is not there. Do you have to enable sync across devices to back them up?

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Just an FYI, I bunch more texts randomly downloaded to my phone last night. But I still don't have them all. I'm wondering if Microsoft is doing something on the backend...

Burnbackin

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I set up my new 950 XL, did not do a restore. It has been now 24h and no text message had been restored from my Lumia 930 😞 What's your experience how long it takes to restore it? Thanks for your feedback.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I set up my new 950 XL, did not do a restore. It has been now 24h and no text message had been restored from my Lumia 930 �� What's your experience how long it takes to restore it? Thanks for your feedback.

I did the following, posted halfway back in this thread, and all SMS started appearing after a hard reset today on my 920 and the first time ever not having all messages appear quickly:

You might be able to see them on outlook.com, Click the gear icon, Manage Categories, Check Show in Folder Pane for Contacts. Go back to the folder pane, Click Contacts under Categories, and arrange by Conversation. Some texts to me show up there.

I've always had SMS and MMS appear almost immediately after hard resets, no matter if restoring from a backup or fresh install. Today I waited 2 hours and had no messages restore. I simply went to Outlook.com on a PC, logged in and performed the above steps while watching my messageless app on the phone. I clicked on some of the messages and messages immediately started to appear on the phone, all the way back to 11/2012. The only problem is there are some duplicate and triplicate messages nested within threads from roughly a year back and beyond, no big deal to me. Good luck.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm still having random messages being downloaded every so often. I'm not sure how frequently its happening because the only time I get notifications is when its connected to my car. The car sees them as new texts even though the phone doesn't. The last batch happened last weekend. So weird.

Burnbackin

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Finally all my messages were downloaded. It took over a week or so. However, it might be also due to the fact that I installed preview built on my old Lumia and backed it up. Afterwards, all my messages started to download on my 950 xl. Just wanted to share this...

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Finally all my messages were downloaded. It took over a week or so. However, it might be also due to the fact that I installed preview built on my old Lumia and backed it up. Afterwards, all my messages started to download on my 950 xl. Just wanted to share this...

Did you end up with any of your text messages being duplicated, or triplicated?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro