Is this true? IPad Pro on same level as surface

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I like that video. It does point out that they are both similar devices, they are both aiming to the same markets, hence the word "Pro" in both of their product names. They also have similar problems, in that they are both trying to span the gap between a tablet, a "consumption device" and a laptop, a "productivity device".

And of course, since iOS is Apple's success story, they are trying to bring it up into the desktop market. We of course know that Microsoft is trying to push Windows down into the tablet and phone market. I think it's where all desktop computing is going, as even Google is reportedly looking to combine Android and Chrome OS as well.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Anything that the Verge states MUST be taken with a pinch of salt. If you do not agree with them they WILL erase your comments, ban you etc.

The Verge also really likes Apple so, basically, who ever pays the most gets the press.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't believe everything you say, especially if those sites have shown how pro Apple or against Microsoft they are.

It's like this video where they show at 120fps how "ipad is better than Surface pen"... yet, surfaceproartist guy did the same test, with proper drawing programs, and showed how silly that test was in first place.

But anyway, let's put it this way.

Both have stulys, in 2015 most stylus will have no advantage against each other.

So tell me what matters in a device? the software

if you can use your device in a pro environment for whatever needs you have... then it's just worthless. iPad Pro, it's just an over sized old iPad, and there were already pen solutions for ipad, maybe not like Pencil which is built to work fine on Pro. but people already used them... so my point is, being the same iOS, simply a mobile OS, it doesn't have the kind of software windows have,

why would you need to over pay for a tablet, that doesn't replace any device, when you can't use it like a PRO... that means, make true video editing, with Premiere or Davinci Resolve. Make real 3d models, use Zbrush, 3dcoat, mudbox, maya, 3dsmax. use other software like Fusion, After effects, Photoshop.

so how can you say one can compare to the other if the software, are different? why pay alot of money for a device that says it's PRO but it doesn't work as such? if you are going to pay for a lot of money to note taking and sketching in crappy apps... why is there a need of an ipad pro?

Also this person in the video says how Windows is awkward with touch? that's when you call it BS. that means this person have used so much iOS that he is used to it, just like using an Android Phone after using Windows Phone feels boring and tedious for some (like me) and then you want to go back to WP as fast as you can (like I did).

But again, my whole point is... a Pro device that can't be used as a pro? I am sure these people that try to make ipad pro look good by saying how Pencil is better than anything else, would take my wacom tablet and say it sucks and Pencil is still the best.
Anyway, having a wacom tablet, I can say that depending on apps and how you set them up, if they are store apps or win32, the pen feels different. so it depends what app this person used to compare, just like the 120fps video, it can affect the whole review.

I just think it's silly to compare both and try to make iPad Pro look good, it's an oversized phone OS, like the first ipad was.

can you really compare both when Surface Pro 4 can do this?:

Zbrush demo,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyArtCjdKKI

Clip Studio Paint (their drawing engine is really nice) but it was 20 layers and it's a huge document:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j_xPFrhC4E

And if SP4 pen is not enough and you will be sitting on a desktop or laying on the couch, you can just plug your wacom tablet (or any other drawing tablet) and work with it, you are not limited to just surface pen. you are not limited to only use touch to navigate and be able to use mouse.

So answering your question and with all the points i have made, I can answer your question by saying, No... they are not at the same level. only pro Apple people can see that.
and even if Surface Pen was/is worse or better than Apple Pencil at 120fps... why would it matter? at real speed you wouldn't notice any difference, they would be almost the same like Rick Rodriguez says in their videos.

and he replies to a person in a video who says how he wants the iPad pro because some people say "it's better"

"Did you see the couple of iPad Pro videos I posted? They have almost the same amount of latency. How will you integrate the iPad into your workflow? What apps will you use to replace your desktop software? Aren't there classes of applications that don't exist in iOS?"

then the person says how Pencil it's on pair with wacom (not at all) because again, some people make it seem that way. and how iPad pro is cheaper than i5 SP4

and he just says:
"It's not a fair comparison to judge the price of the iPad Pro vs. the i5 SP4. 32 GB is inadequate, so you're really looking at the 128 GB iPP + Pencil vs. the m3 SP4. In that case, the SP4 is the better deal.I now have the Pencil and I can state unequivocably that it is not on par with Wacom. It performs very similarly to N-Trig, with many of the stroke artifacts that users complain about in that technology."

if you see the videos I posted before, he uses the SP4 m3, and many people are impressed about how the cheapest surface can do so much like 20 layers and a huge document.

So again, "same level" it's just a way for apple fans and pro apple media to justify their purchase and not accepting they are buying a Pro device that can't do real professional work, since their mobile limited apps are just that, mobile apps with no real features like many big beats on Desktop OS.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Only way a Surface Pro and iPad Pro are on the same level is if you sit them side by side on the same table. Literally, on the same level.

srinath prathi

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You shouldn't believe everything you say, especially if those sites have shown how pro Apple or against Microsoft they are.

It's like this video where they show at 120fps how "ipad is better than Surface pen"... yet, surfaceproartist guy did the same test, with proper drawing programs, and showed how silly that test was in first place.

But anyway, let's put it this way.

Both have stulys, in 2015 most stylus will have no advantage against each other.

So tell me what matters in a device? the software

if you can use your device in a pro environment for whatever needs you have... then it's just worthless. iPad Pro, it's just an over sized old iPad, and there were already pen solutions for ipad, maybe not like Pencil which is built to work fine on Pro. but people already used them... so my point is, being the same iOS, simply a mobile OS, it doesn't have the kind of software windows have,

why would you need to over pay for a tablet, that doesn't replace any device, when you can't use it like a PRO... that means, make true video editing, with Premiere or Davinci Resolve. Make real 3d models, use Zbrush, 3dcoat, mudbox, maya, 3dsmax. use other software like Fusion, After effects, Photoshop.

so how can you say one can compare to the other if the software, are different? why pay alot of money for a device that says it's PRO but it doesn't work as such? if you are going to pay for a lot of money to note taking and sketching in crappy apps... why is there a need of an ipad pro?

Also this person in the video says how Windows is awkward with touch? that's when you call it BS. that means this person have used so much iOS that he is used to it, just like using an Android Phone after using Windows Phone feels boring and tedious for some (like me) and then you want to go back to WP as fast as you can (like I did).

But again, my whole point is... a Pro device that can't be used as a pro? I am sure these people that try to make ipad pro look good by saying how Pencil is better than anything else, would take my wacom tablet and say it sucks and Pencil is still the best.
Anyway, having a wacom tablet, I can say that depending on apps and how you set them up, if they are store apps or win32, the pen feels different. so it depends what app this person used to compare, just like the 120fps video, it can affect the whole review.

I just think it's silly to compare both and try to make iPad Pro look good, it's an oversized phone OS, like the first ipad was.

can you really compare both when Surface Pro 4 can do this?:

Zbrush demo,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyArtCjdKKI

Clip Studio Paint (their drawing engine is really nice) but it was 20 layers and it's a huge document:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j_xPFrhC4E

And if SP4 pen is not enough and you will be sitting on a desktop or laying on the couch, you can just plug your wacom tablet (or any other drawing tablet) and work with it, you are not limited to just surface pen. you are not limited to only use touch to navigate and be able to use mouse.

So answering your question and with all the points i have made, I can answer your question by saying, No... they are not at the same level. only pro Apple people can see that.
and even if Surface Pen was/is worse or better than Apple Pencil at 120fps... why would it matter? at real speed you wouldn't notice any difference, they would be almost the same like Rick Rodriguez says in their videos.

and he replies to a person in a video who says how he wants the iPad pro because some people say "it's better"

"Did you see the couple of iPad Pro videos I posted? They have almost the same amount of latency. How will you integrate the iPad into your workflow? What apps will you use to replace your desktop software? Aren't there classes of applications that don't exist in iOS?"

then the person says how Pencil it's on pair with wacom (not at all) because again, some people make it seem that way. and how iPad pro is cheaper than i5 SP4

and he just says:
"It's not a fair comparison to judge the price of the iPad Pro vs. the i5 SP4. 32 GB is inadequate, so you're really looking at the 128 GB iPP + Pencil vs. the m3 SP4. In that case, the SP4 is the better deal.I now have the Pencil and I can state unequivocably that it is not on par with Wacom. It performs very similarly to N-Trig, with many of the stroke artifacts that users complain about in that technology."

if you see the videos I posted before, he uses the SP4 m3, and many people are impressed about how the cheapest surface can do so much like 20 layers and a huge document.

So again, "same level" it's just a way for apple fans and pro apple media to justify their purchase and not accepting they are buying a Pro device that can't do real professional work, since their mobile limited apps are just that, mobile apps with no real features like many big beats on Desktop OS.

Haan... Very true.. That's what I was confused when I saw the guy trying to bring both on same level. Since I never used any of those devices I asked in here. I have Dell Venue Pro 8. It's amazing. Surface should be compared amongst Mac not lowly iPad.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
No, the iPad Pro is not as good as the Surface.
Sure, artists, casual users and hipsters can do anything they want with it, but you can't say it's meant for productivity.

For example, a lot of people rely on Office for Desktop which offers way more tools. You can use Desktop Office on the Surface, but not on the iPad Pro. These people simply cannot get their job done on the iPad Pro.

Another example: a lot of people rely on Visual Studio which offers some amazing tools. You can use Visual Studio on the Surface, but not on the iPad Pro. These people simply cannot get their job done on the iPad Pro.

Yet another example: a lot of people rely on Photoshop for Desktop which offers way more tools. You can use Desktop Photoshop on the Surface, but not on the iPad Pro. These people simply cannot get their job done on the iPad Pro.

See what I mean? How can the iPad Pro be a "Pro" device if a huge amount of people cannot get their job done? It's just a big iPad with a pencil, a secondary device.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs