How can I make all folders large icons?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
How can I make all folders large icons

I can't believe I can't find this solution online. I've seen like 8 tutorials and none of them have worked. I have my Surface Pro 2 and 4, and basically, I want to make it more touch friendly. For the last 2 years I have been going into a folder and making it "large" or "medium" icons; but I did it for the same folders every time. Now, I just got my Surface Pro 4 and I just want ALL the folders to be like that by default and change the ones I don't want when I need it.

How can I do it!? Most places on the net say "right click folder, customize, optimize for pictures" and apply to all subfolders, but it doesn't work on my desktop, my surface pro 2 nor my surface pro 4.

So... how can I achieve this?

Thank you!

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: How can I make all folders large icons

1) Open your C:\ folder.
2) Set this folder to the icon view you would like, in your case "large" view.
3) Go to View >> Options >> Change Folder & Search Options.
4) Click the "View" tab and click "Apply To All Folders".
5) Click OK to exit.

This will apply this view to every folder on your C:\ drive, but you will still need to set the view for folders in your file type folders (Music, Documents, Pictures, Videos). At least this is the case in Windows 7 as the view is custom set by the file type typically stored in those folders.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

1) Open your C:\ folder.
2) Set this folder to the icon view you would like, in your case "large" view.
3) Go to View >> Options >> Change Folder & Search Options.
4) Click the "View" tab and click "Apply To All Folders".
5) Click OK to exit.

This will apply this view to every folder on your C:\ drive, but you will still need to set the view for folders in your file type folders (Music, Documents, Pictures, Videos). At least this is the case in Windows 7 as the view is custom set by the file type typically stored in those folders.

I'm reluctant to say that it didn't work. :( Some folders still maintained detailed, list, etc.

LuxZg

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site

You'll note that Windows upon this procedure says "Do you want all folders of this type to match this folder's settings?" where you have to answer "Yes". But the way it's worded it could also mean Microsoft changed something, so perhaps you'll have to do this separately for one of the System folders / Pictures / Videos etc. You can see the "types of folders" when you right click some folder, and than go to "Customize". There's dropdown for "What kind of folder do you want" and Optimize for ... Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, and General items (system folders and such). So you'll have to do what TheCudder told you for all 5 of these folder types as it seems. This is new in Win10, I haven't noticed this behaviour in 8/8.1 or earlier. There's also an option I can't find right now that says "Remember each folder's view settings", such folders will potentially behave differently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro