So what apps work and how does it look?

Martinspire

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So i'm currently waiting for my XL to drop but i've got to play with it and continuum on some MS event here in The Netherlands (Future Proef for those interested). Anyways, i wasn't allowed to install apps, update apps or whatever but it was a nice experience. And i think the default apps have been shown in various video's, though i haven't tried them all. But i'd love to see more of em. Especially Onedrive, Weather, News, Stocks, Playing video, Playing Music (does it work in the background too?)

But now that the phones are out and various apps have a universal app available, i think its time to see how those work and get a feeling of whats possible with the functionality and how it performs. So if somebody could make a video of it, please do! :grin:

Some apps that you could show (though im not sure if they really work or not):
  • Teamviewer (released today), might be very interesting to see until the Remote Desktop app becomes available. Especially for business users
  • Dropbox (not sure if Onedrive also works?)
  • Line (as example to many other messaging apps, i'm looking at you Whatsapp)
  • Baconit for Reddit (or other Reddit apps)
  • DeviantArt
  • Regenmeter (Dutch weather app, just look up Amsterdam if needed, but nice example for Weather apps)
  • Tweetium (although i'm not sure if thats universal, but still)
  • Streaming video (not sure what app can currently do that, but at least try, i dont think Plex is Universal Windows App yet?)
  • Halo Spartan Assault (hows the gaming?)

And if you want to test but not show on video, thats ok, at least let us know what works :wink:

Marc Cupido 44

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Does whatsapp work on continuum? Or will it in the near future? It would be a complete waste if you connected to the display dock but have to reply on your when you get a whatsapp message

anon(9140902)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
only Universal Apps work on Continuum. Apps that won't work will appear darkened as if they're not installed. Apps that don't work on Continuum can still be run on the phone.

So, most of the stock apps will work, except for Amazon, Facebook, Xbox, and Uber.

Third party (not stock) Apps I've got that work on Continuum: AIDA64, Baconit, Facebook Beta, and Pandora.

Third party (not stock) Apps I've got that won't work on Continuum:
6tin, Facebook Messenger, Hulu Plus, Microsoft Health, Netflix, Roboform, Phonos, Shazam, Spotify, TSN Go, TuneIn Radio, and Twitter.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
We really need a stickied list of all apps that currently work on Continuum, would make it far easier to gauge whether this feature is as useful as it claims to be.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes... A list that grows would even be better. I'd love to show this off to where I could bring up Netflix, DishAnywhere or a host of programs that you would have a reason to bring up when you travel.

As an added thought. Wouldn't it make a lot of sense if Microsoft partnered enough with one of the streaming outlets to help get an app written? Maybe Hulu or someone who's also in third place...

Hold that thought. It just occurred to me to try my Amazon Prime out from the Edge browser. Worked perfectly in HD. I could have watched Amazon this weekend if I'd have had my thinking hat on. I still think mainstream app like Netflix would sure help out. They already got burnt helping out small developers. Why not concentrate on some of the bigger apps?

MG

Last edited:

MagiCsito

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Apps compatible with Continuum

Hi all,

Can we post apps that are compatible with Continuum?
I saw some videos that Netflix is compatible, however it's not.
All apps from Microsoft are compatible!

Thanks all!

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Readit works (although slow)
Tweetium works well (looks the same as on PC)
Maps works well
Truecaller works nice
Outlook, Office, OneNote, OneDrive etc works without issues
Edge works rather well but it is slooooooow (terribly slow!), This page needs ~30 secs to be scrollable :(
TeamViewer does not (you can see the screen but there is no way to move the cursor)
Lack of remote desktop software is biggest disadvantage right now.

Funny observation; you can have two mouse cursors at the same time - using touchpad on the phone and mouse connected to USB simultaneously creates two independent cursors:)

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Readit works (although slow)
Tweetium works well (looks the same as on PC)
Maps works well
Truecaller works nice
Outlook, Office, OneNote, OneDrive etc works without issues
Edge works rather well but it is slooooooow (terribly slow!), This page needs ~30 secs to be scrollable :(
TeamViewer does not (you can see the screen but there is no way to move the cursor)
Lack of remote desktop software is biggest disadvantage right now.

Funny observation; you can have two mouse cursors at the same time - using touchpad on the phone and mouse connected to USB simultaneously creates two independent cursors:)

This^

And Audible works great too.

mnikonov

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know whether it is possible to post here new applications that work with continuum (unless I remove the post), but
Newsflow - great RSS feeds reader and news aggregator works with continuum

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium