Only NOKIA can save windows phone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingeshwaran R

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design, the 930 and 830 used metal an year ago but the 950 and the 950xl use polycarbonate. Common people think that these phones are useless bcz of their boring design. SO ONLY NOKIA CAN SAVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Iuno, I think the large metal ring on the 950 has the potential to be an iconic design feature.

I've already spotted a couple 950 owners in the wild and it's really easy to point out their phone.

Nokia seemed too fond of a design I always thought was weird: that bland square design with a protruding rounded screen island... I actually never liked that.

The 950? Especially with that Jack Spade case?! ... absolutely gorgeous.

Francis Amar Singh

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Windows phone platform will never be iOS kind of following forget about being as good as android os... they will always be 5%-10% of the total mobile market.. complacent mobile OS company... they had their first smart phone running WM OS in 2002 jordana 928 and look at them where they are today???? I was using WM since day one as I tested the jordana 928 itself.. and after the win 10 TP killed my 1020 I moved to android and got my Z5 now and there is no turning back I guess. My lumia 920 is running the latest TP 10586 built and it's so crappy I pity the lumia 950 owners... I almost asked my friend in US to buy and ship a 920XL to me in japan but thinking about my 1020 dying abruptly I decided to buy z5 here instead as at least it will have product support and repair in japan. . So long windows phone....

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design, the 930 and 830 used metal an year ago but the 950 and the 950xl use polycarbonate. Common people think that these phones are useless bcz of their boring design. SO ONLY NOKIA CAN SAVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!

I think that ship sailed ages ago and has since sunk.............................

justonlumia

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I did like the design of Lumia 800 when it first came but then it became like the Xperia with all the following devices with the same design.The only design from Nokia I liked was the similar 830 with more accents.

Its not design that is the problem, the OS itself is no where good enough compared to the 2 giants. Samsung made some of the not good looking devices which did well while HTC failed with some of the most beautiful androids

I carry a Galaxy A7 (KitKat) with my Lumia 640 (still 8.1) and the differences in basic itself is quite large. I can only recommend buying a low end WP for the adults and elderly who just need a "phone with a big display" not a smartphone

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Design sucks for all Lumias, except somehow for the 1520 (and I'm not saying that because I have a 1520, but because it's really good lookin').
Wait for the surface phone, or switch to another OEM / OS.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Design is honestly always gonna be subjective. I like my Lumias to look like the Surface, so while it's the weakest of my Windows Phone collection, I like the way the 635's designed better than all the other Lumias.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
say what you want, but back in 2012, "lumia" was a thing, future was brighter than it is today, and people recognized what a lumia was, a camera king, the "new" thing, expensive enough to make people curious and wishing to try one

now it is non-existent, and at best people would say that it is that cheap phone you get when you cant afford a real one(ios or droid)

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design!!

I totally agree with your point. Lumias were known for their unique but stylist designs. Each Lumia model had a different design and its not an easy thing to do. Just look at Samsung or Sony, all their devices look the same.
Lumias 1520 is the best looking phone for me. That's the peak of designing. Nothing comes closer.
Please Microsoft, do not destroy this brand.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that Nokia was mostly responsible for designing these phones and that MS bought that division from Nokia. Who exactly do you want to design these phones?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes there is always a possibility that Nokia will design and then have someone else build a nice looking phone, but it wont have anything to do with Windows.

Please go through some recent history, Nokia was in trouble, they had missed the smart phone bandwagon just like MS, MS unlike Nokia had lots of cash and needed a partner to make hardware that would use WP software, so they started a partnership, MS pumped lots of money into Nokia but they were still going broke and MS almost had no choice but to buy the phone making division of Nokia.

They did not buy Nokia, they are still an independent company now rich on MS money but no phone making division.

MS tried to incorporate a loss making entity into it's way of doing things but phone designs don't happen overnight and pretty much all of the designs for the "Lumia" range of phones are still from the Lumia division of MS but drawn up when they were part of Nokia.

MS pretty much gave up a few months ago when they wrote off the several billion dollars they had used to buy the Nokia phone making division.

It did one thing, it gave them a slim but still alive lifeline to some kind of future for Windows on mobiles.

I am here for Windows on phones, my phone just happens to be a Nokia Lumia 1520, I know some people are died in the wool fans of Nokia but they do not have a phone division, if they do ever go back into the phone game it will be as designers but even then most of them went over to MS, and then the phones will be made elsewhere and they will have Android or some other OS, the chances of them ever having Windows are far slimmer than finding new WP in a Verizon shop (I can see that happening in a few months, whereas there is zero chance of a new Nokia phone using Windows).

If you are so in love with Nokia that you cannot see how Nokia failed because they didn't see the future, then maybe time for new glasses I am afraid.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I was at Slush last week, in Helsinki. I heard the CEO of Nokia (of the board) during a "how do you make a century-old company" (Slush is startup centric). Well, he was asked about phones and he said "Nokia is out of the handset business. If we return to the mobile business, it's certainly not at handset level, as there's no longer room for innovation. Always a touchscreen, 500+ Android manufacturers, if we Nokia are to return on the mobile business, it will be under a more disruptive way".

The short version is "Nokia is out of the smartphone business".

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Nah, the phones are fine, Nothing to do with that. Sure the 950/950XL are not the fanciest looking phones in the world but, the hold their own in a basic design and allowing 3rd parties to make back covers that completely re-designs how the phone looks. Nice covers so far...

What Microsoft needs to do is get the budget to start a marketing campaign again, KILL every layout they had promoting the phone and change the pattern of it. Apple did this a while ago with the PC thing, Microsoft should go towards the "Think Different" type of marketing commercials.

Everyone has a iOS or Android device, so why not go down this marketing road....If anything you can get people looking into the phone, and just maybe they will buy one, the more that buy it, the more apps that come out and that will make us all happy...

MAHAD93

May 4, 2015
Visit site
That's not to say they were not capable of doing so...Look at Nokia's history man....It was MS and Windows that came in WAAY too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte