Photography challenges with Lumia 1020 on Windows 10 mobile, can I get some help?

Spencer Carriveau

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Photography challenges with Lumia 1020 on Windows 10 mobile

The lumia pro cam app is not in the Windows 10 store, nor is it in the Windows Phone 8 store either(they replaced several apps with a single new one). Does anyone know how to take the high res 38 MP shots with the 1020 currently? It seems as if Microsoft has abandoned the 1020 and it's amazing sensor, forcing it to take lowly 5 MP shots. :unhappy:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Photography challenges with Lumia 1020 on Windows 10 mobile

I've been using the new (Microsoft) Camera to take my highres photos using my Lumia 1020. The interface of the new Camera is also similar to the Lumia Camera, and it launches faster and has additional features, too.

Have you tried the new Camera app? And what build of Windows 10 are you running in your Lumia 1020?

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

The lumia pro cam app is not in the Windows 10 store, nor is it in the Windows Phone 8 store either(they replaced several apps with a single new one). Does anyone know how to take the high res 38 MP shots with the 1020 currently? It seems as if Microsoft has abandoned the 1020 and it's amazing sensor, forcing it to take lowly 5 MP shots. :unhappy:
Pretty sure windows 10 camera takes 39mp's.. just not raw

Spencer Carriveau

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

I've been using the new (Microsoft) Camera to take my highres photos using my Lumia 1020. The interface of the new Camera is also similar to the Lumia Camera, and it launches faster and has additional features, too.

Have you tried the new Camera app? And what build of Windows 10 are you running in your Lumia 1020?

I am running the most recent build of Windows 10 mobile and yes I have been using the new app, since that's the app that comes with Windows 10 Mobile. It doesn't take 39s as far as I can tell because its not saving two copies of each picture and each picture is the size of a 5 MP image. If it were really saving them all as the high res shots, the 1020's screen wouldn't even be able to display them or so its been said since the 1020 originally came out.

Pretty sure windows 10 camera takes 39mp's.. just not raw
There is no option to select if it takes 5 MP, 34 MP or 38 MP.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Indeed, it is not taking two photos but that doesn't mean it is not taking high resolution photos. In my case, instead of a 5MP + 34MP (or 38MP depending on aspect ratio), I now get just a single 34MP photo.

Are you sure those are "just" 5MP photos you're taking now? How were you able to determine the size of the photos? Check the dimensions of the photo through the Photo App > file info, and let us know what you find.

Spencer Carriveau

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

I was assuming that they were the 5 MP pictures because according to the old documentation, the reason for taking two separate versions (5 MP and 34 or 38 MP) was that the display could not display the higher res photos, correct me if I'm wrong. And I do recall comparing the file sizes vs old photos of mine on my other PC(which is currently inaccessible) and the amount of space that these new photos take to store is congruent with the 5 MP photos, so it seems they are the 5 MP versions, not the 34 or 38.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I believe that's not the reason. Taking a 5MP super-sampled version of the original 34MP or 38MP photo, in my opinion, makes it easier to share, transfer, backup that photo since it's obviously easier to handle (i.e. smaller file size, less data). I disagree with the logic because I've always been viewing my highres photos in my Lumia 1020 (using a different full resolution viewer) - if the display couldn't support that, then I should be seeing a blank screen all those times... even now, I'm looking at a full resolution photo.

Of course, the screen has it's own resolution (given by the dpi and screen resolution), which is definitely NOT 34MP or 38MP. But that's the screen resolution and it has nothing to do with what the camera actually takes. The new Photos app seems to generate a smaller "preview" version of the full resolution image first, but once you begin to zoom in it will start to render all those other higher-resolution pixels.

Let's be more specific: open your Photos app, go to your Camera Roll and tap on a recent photo you've taken with your Lumia 1020. Tap on the ellipsis below, and then on "file info", then check the dimensions of the photo (not the file size, but the dimensions). Let us know what values you find.

It's inaccurate to judge the resolution of an image based on the file size. File size generally increases with ISO-value and exposure time, among other parameters, even if the images have the same resolution.

Last edited:

Francis Amar Singh

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site

Microsoft stands for play safe... Nokia was the company with dreams so you got 808 and 1020... now you will never get another 1020... I loved my 1020 till it was killed by win 10 TP..

Francis Amar Singh

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site

Source? Reference?
Look at win 95, 98,xp, look at the win 8 win phone 7... when they bought Nokia I thought with microsofts money Nokia phones will go next level and here we are the look went back few years on the look... look at the GS6 edge that's a cool looking phone..

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Look at win 95, 98,xp, look at the win 8 win phone 7... when they bought Nokia I thought with microsofts money Nokia phones will go next level and here we are the look went back few years on the look... look at the GS6 edge that's a cool looking phone..

Yes, but you do know that the Lumia 950 and 950 XL were still part of the Nokia pipeline, right? A sort-of left-over from a receding generation of phones.

The references we'd like to see are for your statements: "Microsoft stands for play safe" and; "now you will never get another 1020"...

Did Microsoft play safe with Hololens? Did they play safe in buying Nokia? Did they play safe in Microsoft's Affordable Access Initiative? Did they play safe in the Lumia 950XL liquid cooling? Did they play safe with Windows 10? Did they play safe in changing CEOs in the middle of a "crisis"?

There has been no direct and explicit announcement from Microsoft that they will not be making a successor to the Lumia 1020... unless of course you're referring to a brand new 1020, then surely this is no longer available now.

Nonetheless, we're now off-topic. I hope the OP finds the dimensions of the photos he has been taking, and will share it here for us to see.

Francis Amar Singh

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site

Yes, but you do know that the Lumia 950 and 950 XL were still part of the Nokia pipeline, right? A sort-of left-over from a receding generation of phones.

The references we'd like to see are for your statements: "Microsoft stands for play safe" and; "now you will never get another 1020"...

Did Microsoft play safe with Hololens? Did they play safe in buying Nokia? Did they play safe in Microsoft's Affordable Access Initiative? Did they play safe in the Lumia 950XL liquid cooling? Did they play safe with Windows 10? Did they play safe in changing CEOs in the middle of a "crisis"?

There has been no direct and explicit announcement from Microsoft that they will not be making a successor to the Lumia 1020... unless of course you're referring to a brand new 1020, then surely this is no longer available now.

Nonetheless, we're now off-topic. I hope the OP finds the dimensions of the photos he has been taking, and will share it here for us to see.
1. 950 and 950 xl are lumia but almost all of the Nokia team was fired so it's not a Nokia devise.
2. And yes microsoft must make at least one device a year with wow factor...
3. Hololens is something they did 25 years ago and it's called MOUSE.
Buying Nokia was NO choice otherwise it will be death of microsoft mobile OS as Nokia will make great android phones..
Liquid cooling also no choice as seems like win 10 phone os needs alot more power comparing to win 7, 8.1.
What do you think they did right as win 8 failed and win 8.1 failed as well so they gave away win 10. And the best of all it seems like win 10 is a beta os still... and the win 10 phone os is one step lower beta... dont get me wrong I do not use apple and I do not use android tablets...
Now changing the CEO was not a bold move but the right move as the investors and the board did not want Steve anymore.
4. 2 years have gone by since 1020 was launched and tech world moves much faster then that... so if think no news is a good news I wish you luck in whatever you do...

I am sorry but we are off topic and I am not changing my opinion and I respect your opinion. Take care mate.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
On my 20MP L1520, running the latest TP W10M build 10.0.10586.29, the Microsoft Camera app does have the option to shoot 2592x1936 (5MP) JPEGs and full res 4992x3744 (19MP) DNG files.

wp_ss_20151214_0001.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss