SP3 Display Adapter Crashes - 1511 Update

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the 1511 update last week, my SP3 display adapter crashes all the time. For example, if I'm using Windows Live Movie Maker, it will crash after only a few seconds of playback, then I have to close the app and reopen it, so I can get another 30 seconds of work done if I am lucky. If I'm using Blender or Repetier Host, it does better - lasts minutes instead of seconds, and doesn't always crash in those apps, but it does occasionally. And today I noticed that while looking through files on Thingiverse, when I use the thing viewer IE crashes the video driver. Of course, I've left feedback using the feedback app, and I've tweeted to @GabeAul, but man is this infuriating. When I try to print to my 3D printer, it crashes sometimes, wasting plastic. I can get around that by doing the print from SD, but sometimes when it is something small, it's just easier to print from the host.

Is anyone else having increased problems (I used to get it occasionally, but not often) since updating to Win10 version 1511 last week?

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface Book and since this most recent "update" to Win10, I've had more display driver crashes than I had before it. I don't know if its related, but its hard to think it isn't.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would think it is likely, but it could be a coincidence. Do you have the nVidia GPU, or the Intel? I guess either way you'd have the Intel, but I'd wonder if it is the Intel crashing or the nVidia, and I'd also wonder if the Intel is the same as the Intel in the SP3.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Well I've been having the issue on my Lenovo Y50,I always see the crash when I use Firefox, haven't played any games so cant say if the GPU driver crashes too or not but definitely the Intel Driver crashes. Its not too frequent however. I did not see driver crashes when I disabled the Hardware acceleration in Firefox but that hurt full screen videos, so enabled it again. Also you can check the windows central article Here are some of the issues and bugs users are experiencing with the Windows 10 November update | Windows Central, the display driver crash is mentioned there too. I'm happy that its not a hardware issue.. !!

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I did to reduce the amount of driver crashes on my SF2PRO:

1. Installed the latest Intel driver (latest one is beta, so I took that one): Windows 64bits
2. Installed the app "Driver Booster 3 FREE" and had it update all the Intel system drivers to the latest version
3. Disabled "Hardware Acceleration" in Firefox (which is my main browser)

After that most of the Intel driver crashes I had were gone. Just today I had one when I put a video into full screen. Other than that no more crashes.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I would think it is likely, but it could be a coincidence. Do you have the nVidia GPU, or the Intel? I guess either way you'd have the Intel, but I'd wonder if it is the Intel crashing or the nVidia, and I'd also wonder if the Intel is the same as the Intel in the SP3.

With the Surface Book with dGPU, I have both an nVidia GPU and an Intel HD 520. The display driver crash is the Intel one - the error message is very, very clear about that. I'd seen it once or twice prior to the 1511 update, but since the 1511 update, I get it at least once a day, sometimes more often (always while browsing the web in Firefox). The error message, amusingly, indicates that the driver is the "Intel HD graphics driver for Windows 8".

Someone in the Surface Book forums posted that Intel has just released a new beta driver version -- I don't know if it supports the Intel HD graphics version on the SP3 (I have an SP3 as well, but it is still on Windows 8.1), but I hope this means that Intel is working on a more stable driver for Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans