Windows Maps Voice Download

cravani

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone knows how to download voice guidance for Windows Maps, like was for HERE Maps? I can't find it anywhere, and HERE maps stoped work after last update.

cravani

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
So as I'm from Brazil and Portuguese language isn't available yet, does it means I can't have voice guidance in Portuguese? It's a shame...

Then I'll have to use English instead.

Thanks for clarifying!

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
If in voice packages you can't get what you need (Portuguese), then yes, you have to choose something else.

Really stupid, because when I was in Finland this summer, we needed the GPS. My father-in-law is a Finn and doesn't speak French. My 535 (W10M) was only able to navigate in French, not in Finnish! Fortunately, Drive+ was working (and still is on my Lumias), so I downloaded the Finnish package and we used HERE.

You can upvote the many suggestion in feedback app asking to add the voice selection as an option.

cravani

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I've just made a test, defined a walking route and it spoke in Portuguese with street names!
My system is in portuguese and region set to Brazil.

Maybe the voice pack is included in map downloaded, in my case, some states of Brazil.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Nope, it just means Portuguese is already on your system. Because when I'm in Finland, it still speaks in French. But it pronounces the local names correctly (and not like a French reading Finnish names as if they were French words lol)

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
My maps voice has a British accent for some reason and it drives me crazy, but at least the voice is in my language. It isn't very good at times though, it will literally say HWY-23 like "Highway dash twenty three". lol.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
That is because of the HERE data. I have the same issue, with HERE Maps (and MS Maps), in French

Instead of saying "la rue d'Arcole", it will pronounce "la rue D? Arcole". It pronounces "d'" or "l'" as the letter D or L (?l).

Totally stupid, I think it's a phonetic transcript fail. Already reported to HERE a year ago, but as usual with HERE, don't expect them to fix it.

cravani

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
That's odd, as mine pronounces very well the street names as well the directions, very similar to HERE.

After paying some attention, I found out is the same voice used on WP 8.1 Search App.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it's the same voice as on WP8.1, and same voice on HERE and Maps (and even the same sound for speed limits).

Some say it's Cortana's voice, but we have Cortana in France for a year now, and it's still the stock MS voice for Maps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2