Which miracast devices work with continuum?

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I am curious to know which devices people have tried to use with Continuum and what kind of success they have had. I heard that the Roku 3 worked decently. What about Fire TV Sticks? Other devices?

christosays

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the Roku 3 does indeed work. Overall it's a fairly smooth experience. I connected a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to my 950 XL and the keyboard response works well enough for a decent typing experience. The mouse has some latency but is definitely useable. The latency/poor mouse response is very similar if using a bluetooth mouse or the phone's trackpad feature. I found it was easier at times to say "Hey Cortana, open [insert app name here]" to open apps than to use the mouse.

The shipping notice for my Display Dock just hit my email yesterday, so I'm interested to see the difference in performance, if any, between wireless dock and wired - specifically the mouse/cursor performance.

While Continuum may seem a little gimmicky at the moment to some, I definitely see where this could be headed in the future and I love it.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I've had the display dock and a 950 both since the 20th. I find nothing gimicky about it. I have a Logitech wireless mouse plugged into the dock and there is zero latency. For 90% what I do, it's just like using a PC. I miss my favorites bar in edge, but I love being able to text with a keyboard.

I think you'll love the display dock.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
So far I tried wireless with the MS display adapter and straight with my Sony Bravia... Worked all well but suppose the dock with cable will perform better but haven't gotten mine yet.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
This is just my experience with Miracast in general on Windows Phones (pre-950) and Surface Pro 2:

The Fire TV Stick is the worst implementation of Miracast I've seen and doesn't work on many devices. (For what it's worth though, its interface and apps are far better than the Roku, and it is still my streaming device of choice.)
The Microsoft Wireless Display app on the Xbox One is pretty bad too, but a little better than the Fire TV and works with more devices.
The Roku Streaming Stick is decent at it.
An LG Projector is average as well.
The Netgear PTV3000 was really good for its time, but is no longer supported.
The Microsoft Wireless Display adapter is really good.
However, the Screenbeam Mini 2 (I have the non-Continuum edition) is best of any of them.

One thing that has proven to be really important for Miracast, is continuous update on the receiver. The Fire TV, Xbox One, and Roku added the feature as an afterthought, haven't updated it since. The PTV3000 was great when it was getting updated, but it's terrible now. The Microsoft Display Adapter gets a decent amount of updates, but it hasn't been updated since Windows 8.1. The Screenbeam one gets very frequent updates, including a series of updates for optimizing around Windows 10.

armandojv

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the microsoft wireless display adapter. And for some odd reason I cannot connect my lumia 950 to it. Everything else works fine with it
like my laptop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss