For people who think W10M is not ready...

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Last week I upgraded my Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 Mobile from Windows Phone 8.1 and I almost immediately downgraded my phone back to WP8.1 because of some TERRIBLE bugs I was experiencing (I didn't downgrade because I have some apps that are no longer in the store). For one, when I simply swipe up and down the start screen, it will glitch out and teleport to a different section of the start screen EVERY TIME I SCROLL. I was immediately like "How on earth does Microsoft think this is ready if such a simple bug exists right on the start screen?" Tiles also don't appear right away when I scroll through my start screen fast. There are many other things that bug me about it but I won't get into it.

Anyways, My dad decided to install Windows 10 Mobile on his Lumia 830 and let me tell you... it was a completely different experience. On my 1020, Windows 10 feels like an incomplete and extremely buggy OS. On my dad's Lumia 830, Windows 10 feels like a perfectly, polished, and complete OS that is ready to be released. On both our phones, we are running the same build (10586.11) so I was amazed at how well it ran on his phone.

What I'm thinking is that Windows 10 Mobile is currently built more for newer devices with newer hardware. I believe I read in a Windows Central article a few weeks ago that Windows 10 Mobile was going to be released in waves so different devices will get it at different times. The devices that will get it first will probably be devices in the Lumia x3x and x4x range and Windows 10 will be released later for older devices in the Lumia x2x range. Microsoft will probably fix up bugs that exist when W10M is running on older devices by creating a new build and release it later to the Lumia x2x devices.

So for the people who think Windows 10 Mobile is NOT ready and also for the people who think it IS ready, comment below with what device are you using and if you think it is ready or not. Lets see if we can see a pattern.

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I ran it on the HTC 1(m8)4Win and it was my daily driver for months. I over looked things like the video camera not actually working because of so many pluses. Ultimately, I switched back because I was tired of not being able to use my band with my phone. I expected an update that would fix the problem with band 2... Nothing. With the release of the 950/XL... Nope.

That's what I'm waiting for. I miss the app store matching my computer. I miss being able to reply to texts without opening the app. But, ultimately, using the Cortana integration with my band trumped all the flash of Win10M.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I have it on my spare 920 for months and it has been a rocky road. It has been quite decent on the last couple of insider builds. I'm not yet ready to jump in with my 830 as a daily driver. Can't live without some of the camera lens. But your post give me encouragement. TQ

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
W10 on my 1520 is so much snappier than on the 640 XL. I hope the final W10M will be running well on all devices.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Running it on a 1320. It runs pretty well, with issues, and the device definitely feels 'fresher'. I don't have the scrolling issues, but it does hang, requiring a restart. My biggest gripe is Cortana. That is what brought me to WP, and on W10M, she is a bit of an annoyance. Live tile goes to sleep and doesn't update, and she takes an age to read texts. Also happens on my sons 930, and a 640 + 640xl and a 435.

Most things on 10 are intuitive for your average Joe. Settings is nicely laid out, two hand operation etc..

I guess older / dual core phones need a bit of TLC for these devices to operate efficiently. I rolled back to 8.1 and the UI is awful after 10. Clunky, outdated big thick lines when tiles transparent, settings all over the place.... Definitely a difference in performance with 8.1 being far smoother and snappy, I would stay there, but it just looks / feels dated

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
It's not ready, whatever they say. I mean I can list bugs that I am pretty sure I've read them in all forums on all devices:
- Music shuffle from the lockscreen, when it double swypes for each song (wth is that?)
- Keyboard is not as precise as 8.1.
- The sound distortion on notifications (it happens rarely but it is there). I mean I heard it on a Lumia 930, 640, 830.
- Sometimes uninstalling apps remain stuck with blank icon in app list menu.
- App scaling. You set DPI to low, yet WhatsApp has an immense font size.
- Clicking on the tab button on the Edge browser, sometimes it takes a good 2 seconds to list all tabs. Or when trying to close them all, takes up to 2 seconds as well.
- Camera, oh..the camera..is ruined. People forgot the amazing experience of video recording with a Lumia 930 and custom Hz setting. That setting is long gone.
- Cortana display. On high 1080p screen with DPI set to minimum she is displaying in a much tightened space. I mean, what's the point of having that black space on the sides?
- The Store.. Well, no matter what they say, the store is laggy in comparison to 8.1. Saw it even on a Lumia 950. Still laggy!
- Custom ringtones like songs per person? Oh..yeah..maybe in 4 years. (Or is it just a bug on my own phone?)
- Skype Video..the embedded one. It's a hit'n'miss. Likewise for Skype messaging embedded.
- Photos (zooming in) then moving on different parts of the pictures. Lag, easily seen by the eye.
- People app. Pictures scaling of facebook apps are wrong. People look like midgets sometimes.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I've dumped W10M (10586.11) in the last few days, which I had running on both my 1020 & 830, wasn't so apparent until we reverted back to W8.1 as to how poorly W10M really is, sure it is getting better yet still way too buggy and inconsistent for my liking.

ImaMess

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Might explain why I didn't have the problems other did. I'm using the 830 and from the beginning I have stuck with W10 as my main driver. Have not had many problems until now. I realized my phone the 830 may never have Hey Cortana or glance screen. My two favorites....are not supported. Still, I would by a new phone rather than go back to W8. One of the best phones was the 925. Not all plastic and was a solid little phone, minus the microphone issues. We all eventually will be buying new phones and the W10 os will be a must for all. 😃😕

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I've dumped W10M (10586.11) in the last few days, which I had running on both my 1020 & 830, wasn't so apparent until we reverted back to W8.1 as to how poorly W10M really is, sure it is getting better yet still way too buggy and inconsistent for my liking.

Mine is running very very smoothly, no issues on my 925

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine is running very very smoothly, no issues on my 925

That is why I often use the word "inconsistent" to describe the OS, many claim their 1020s/830s are purring along just fine using the latest build yet that has been far from the case with mine, tried several builds and multiple installs yet sooner or later the results become intolerable, on the other hand, same outcome with W8.1 (always satisfying/consistent) time and time again for months on end.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Both my Lumia 925 and 640 are running great on 10586.11.
Was afraid to try again on my replacement Lumia 925 as the phone malfunctioned after a hard reset with win10. But I like this new system better, much more organized and the way the tiles open up.
I wont give up my 925 for the Lumia 950 or 950 XL. Besides I have the 640 for a back ui p.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Overall it's running fine on my ATT 830. It's definitely not as fluid as 8.1 Denim, but I like all the features and enhancements. I will say the Messaging app is my main complaint. The app itself is probably the most laggy part of the OS, but when sending SMS messages, it can take up to 2 minutes for the timestamp to appear on the sent message. That's RIDICULOUS. It's sporadic, but it happens frequently. Very annoying if you're trying to have a quick convo that needs to happen in real time.

It's mind boggling to me that Microsoft can't have this, the most basic function of the phone, ready to go for prime time. It's not an isolated bug either - many users out there are complaining. I'm not sure if the problem exists on the new 950s or not. Any owners care to chime in?

WPUser5678309

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I experienced something similar, my 1020 experience with the same software I am running on the 950 is totally different in regards to stability, speed, battery, etc. Still some flaws in W10M that make me say it is just not ready to compete and I am tired of being loyal to a fault.

markm091

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Owner of a Lumia 930 and 920 here. Not having tested any of the Insider builds, I decided to install W10M on my old 920 first (which was set to factory defaults for WP8.1). I immediately noticed performance issues and undesirable carryovers from WP8.1 (such as tiles were not transparent, etc.). I then decided to reset to factory defaults for W10M and all of my issues seem to clear up with the exception of the Windows Store app being pretty slow.

Performance was good enough over the course of the next day that I decided to upgrade my 930. After I did I immediately reset to factory defaults. Performance has been just fine again with the exception of the Windows Store app and the keyboard can be a little imprecise when using word flow. Other than a couple of training issues (how to import a custom ringtone?) I've had no problems over the last week and in my subjective opinion I prefer W10M over WP8.1.

IMO resetting to factory defaults is an absolute must and will probably clear up these inconsistencies people are facing.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Running "okay" on my M8. I remember when the Surface 3 came out and updates to Windows 10. All kinds of bugs and issues. Few months later and numerous updates later they are running just fine. I suppose WP10 will run the same course. Of course, we'll have to suffer through all the "WP10 sucks" threads in the meantime.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Changing the notification toggle switches crashed for the setting page on my 1020 while everything are so much smoother on the 1520 & 640 XL. W10M is just still not ready for the masses.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I installed the build prior to the current release on my 930 and it was more responsive than a 920 though some functionality was still problematic; the store takes far to long to open, app installs are slow and updates extremely slow. Yes I think Windows 10 mobile may in some way not be as optimised for gen 2 phones than gen 3 phones however a big point made for Windows 10 was it would work on old PC's, why can't the same occur on phones?

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I installed the build prior to the current release on my 930 and it was more responsive than a 920 though some functionality was still problematic; the store takes far to long to open, app installs are slow and updates extremely slow. Yes I think Windows 10 mobile may in some way not be as optimised for gen 2 phones than gen 3 phones however a big point made for Windows 10 was it would work on old PC's, why can't the same occur on phones?

Good point. I assume (or at least hope) that Microsoft does not release build 10586.11 for gen 2 phones. I suspect that they will release a more polished build but who knows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon