Does Cortana work for you in Windows 10 Mobile 10586?

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Last time I tried this it wouldn't let me download apps from the store cause it wasn't set to the right region. Is that no longer the case?

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Guess I missed Region. What a terrible experience as I had to reboot 3 times for the changes to take affect. Hope it doesn't affect store purchases having the phone set incorrectly as I don't want to do that very often. MS should just get this working for Canada.

Cortana wont learn my voice even with everything set to US. I was also expecting voice responses like Siri but can live with silent mode and might learn to like it better.

Will see how this works with everything set incorrectly to US.

Thanks for the feedback

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Same here. It's not working when set to "Canada". Stuck on "Thinking" and crashes. At least it's not just me, hopefully they'll fix it after the holidays/with the next system update.

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I managed to fix mine. All I did was installing both "English (Canada)" and "English (United States)" under "Settings" => Speech", but made the "English (United States)" the default one. The moment I did that, Cortana started working even with "Canada" set to local and other regional settings. Hopefully, it'll fix it to you too.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I had to install both under "Speech" as well but had to have English (Canada) as the default. Also have both English (Canada) and English (United States) as languages with the later as active. Region is Canada and format English (Canada) and Cortana now seems to work. The only thing not working is under Notebook Settings "Learn my voice". Nothing works while trying to train Cortana to learn my voice. Everything else so far seems to be working. Thanks!

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think they fixed it yesterday. Now I can change to "English (Canada)" under speech and all is working again. They changed something on their end, as now my non English written meeting are shown as "?????" (Before they were correctly shown using the non English characters), this happened on both my Windows 10 PC/Tablet and phone so I assume a Canadian Cortana server update fixed the voice, but broke other things :) At least we have voice now.

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
For India
  1. Install English(US) language and speech.
  2. Set the Default speech Language as English(India).
  3. Set region to India.
  4. Open Cortana. Go through the setup if previously not done.
  5. Search something. Wait for it to crash.
  6. Now Set the Default speech Language as English(United States).
  7. Open Cortana and hit the microphone button. Cortana will deactivate due to wrong speech language for the selected region.
  8. Change back to English(India).
  9. Open Cortana.

It should work!

For other countries similar procedure should prove effective!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss