iPhone VIP email alerts on Windows 10 Mobile?

chicagodesi786

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello All!,

iPhone user here who would love to switch to Lumia 950XL. One thing i depend on for work is VIP email alerts as I am frequently on-call and I depend on the iPhone's VIP email alerts which alerts me to particular emails that come to me and I need to respond to. Does Windows 10 Mobile have something similar which can alert me to emails from a particular sender? Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I'm poking around right now and I don't see such a setting. I do see notification settings, but I haven't found anything granular like that yet...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this is actually fairly simple to do, but takes a few steps to set up.

1) Create a new email address (outlook.com/yahoo/whatever)
2) Create an inbox rule on the account in question to forward any emails from your sender to this new email address
3) Set up a notification rule on Windows Phone to use sound/banner/whatever on the email address created in step one.

So, you'll only get alerted (or use a different tone) for those special emails, and when you open that mailbox, you'll only see those relevant emails and be able to act on them. If you need to reply to those emails using the "proper" account, you just need to set up another inbox rule that forwards those emails off.

chicagodesi786

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Pete, but it honestly should not be this complicated! Android and iOS have this baked in:( You should simply be able to "flag or star" an email address and have the OS alert you anytime an email comes into the inbox from that email address.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the default email apps on my Android tablet (running Lollipop), I can't easily see how I would set up a notification for a particular email sender (inbound email sent from a particular sender). Maybe the capability is there, but it's not straightforward. If you can show me how this is done in Android, I'd be thankful to know (my girlfriend uses Android and she might like this feature).

In building Windows 10, Microsoft has made much more of an effort in listening to users needs and meeting them - this is why the UserVoice and Windows Feedback systems have been created. Needless to say, those requests with the highest amount of voice behind them have taken priority. If a particular feature isn't being requested a lot, then it's an indicator that it's not a high-demand issue.

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Set up a notification rule on Windows Phone to use sound/banner/whatever on the email address created in step one.
A what? How does one set up "notification rules" in Win 10 Mobile? What you describe cannot be done in the current W10M builds. The ability to have per-account notifications settings in the Mail app got broken a couple of builds ago.

It's a pity MS didn't exchange the custom ringtone & SMS tone for Contacts to include e-mail too, but maybe some day.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A what? How does one set up "notification rules" in Win 10 Mobile? What you describe cannot be done in the current W10M builds. The ability to have per-account notifications settings in the Mail app got broken a couple of builds ago.

The per-account notification settings are there (at least on my phone with the latest build). The notification sounds/banners for them don't work though. It'll get fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb