Can W10M version of Cortana play music?

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
On my 830 running 8.1 I could say "play my top rated" and it would automatically play my playlist. Now I only get a web search.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Noticed that even "play all music" is down for me... Works fine on desktop tho

All I get on my 920 is Cortana saying "resuming" and showing me the volume bar, but it ultimately just crashes..

Might need an update

Edit: Please provide this feedback in the feedback app lol

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Noticed that even "play all music" is down for me... Works fine on desktop tho

All I get on my 920 is Cortana saying "resuming" and showing me the volume bar, but it ultimately just crashes..

Might need an update

Edit: Please provide this feedback in the feedback app lol

I'm using a 950xl, not the 830 anymore. Can I download the feedback app from the store?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a 950xl, not the 830 anymore. Can I download the feedback app from the store?

Oh congrats on the new phone :) The feedback app is strictly a w10 insider thing (afaik) and there isn't any w10m insider support for the 950 series so, no you probably won't be able to download it..

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Oh congrats on the new phone :) The feedback app is strictly a w10 insider thing (afaik) and there isn't any w10m insider support for the 950 series so, no you probably won't be able to download it..

That's incorrect.

The feedback app is built into the 950.

Press the volume down & power buttons, but release before it resets. Feedback will then open.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
That's incorrect.

The feedback app is built into the 950.

Press the volume down & power buttons, but release before it resets. Feedback will then open.

Thanks for the correction tangledw :) thought it wouldn't be there because of the current lack of support

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok I left the feedback. MS needs to consolidate some of the issues there as they are redundant. I can't find the issue I posted though.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
you can filter all feedback.. just set to "my feedback" and you'll find yours.

before posting a suggestion/issue it's probably best to search for similar issues and upvote those. I do think that they have a system in place which just counts the similar posts and notifies them.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I tested using "Play <artist>" as well as "Play <playlist name>" on my 950 and it worked just fine.

That's so weird. FWIW, my playlists were generated but iTunes (some are smart playlists like "mytoprated"). I winder if I create them in the phone or in groove they will work.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
"Shuffle" works now, so that's great, since that all I ever use, however it's really slow. It needs like 5-10 seconds (on a 1520).
"Play *artist*" and "Play *song*" do not work for me.

griffchon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is your music on the phone or SD card? It doesn't work on my 950xl with music on my sd card. Tried on original firmware and the new preview.

Thanks This helped me figure out that Cortana isn't looking at the SD card for music when you tell here to play an artist song or album...
I'm on the Lumia 950 XL

Mike-J-G

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Cortana wouldn't play my local music by name from the SD card. I moved it all to built-in storage. It made no difference. Cortana would only recognize streaming music. However I'm pleased to report this is now fixed with the Groove 3.6.1573.0 update, Cortana is now aware of music in built-in storage. Hopefully it works for SD storage too.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Cortana wouldn't play my local music by name from the SD card. I moved it all to built-in storage. It made no difference. Cortana would only recognize streaming music. However I'm pleased to report this is now fixed with the Groove 3.6.1573.0 update, Cortana is now aware of music in built-in storage. Hopefully it works for SD storage too.

No luck for me, it still does a Bing search when I say "play (playlist)". It won't even play an artist or album specify. So far it can only resume, skip, and play previous.

hughjazz44

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys! I couldn't figure out why it worked before, but not now. The SD card situation applies to me. I moved a song over to phone storage and Cortana found it. Hopefully MS will fix this soon, because I use SD storage for almost everything.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Please anyone having this issue leave it in the feedback app to make MS aware of the problem. For 950/XL users hold down the power and volume down button simultaneously for 1 second to launch it. All other phones on W10 download the feedback app from the store!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb