No more location based Cortana??

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm running the latest 10 preview build on my 830 and Cortana is complete crap now. Reminders aren't working, location things aren't working, search results are just web listings, no local results, WTF?? I tell Cortana to remind me in 10 min to do such and such and ten min rolls by and nothing! Tried saying remind me at a specific time and nothing. I can't have my wifi turn on when I get home anymore and location based reminders don't work either. I tell her to find something and I get a Bing page with generalized results, no options for anything local or near me. Microsoft has their head up their @$$ with this whole Windows 10 thing. It's garbage. A featureless piece of garbage.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Those features are in working order in my older Lumia 1020 running Windows 10.

What debugging steps have you done to try to solve the problem?

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm running an 830 with 10586, and after reading your note I ran some tests:
"Remind me in 5 minutes to go for lunch"
"Remind me next time I'm at Kemptville to find a lunch spot"
"Where are good places to have lunch near here?"

All three tests passed with flying colors. The time-based reminder came up on time, and while I was driving trough town (which I'd previously programmed in as a "Place") the second reminder came up, and the third query popped up a selection of places in my immediate vicinity.

I don't recall the "turn on WiFi" thing to be part of Cortana before. I don't generally turn off my WiFi, so I'm not even sure how I'd make that work. I tried a couple of Cortana-like phrases but I'm unsuccessful. But since I never did that with 8.1 either, I'm not sure if that's a real issue.

I generally only use Cortana in the car on Bluetooth. I find the current version slower than before on voice recognition & responses, but considerably more accurate. With 8.1 (again, in the car on bluetooth) I found the accuracy rate under 50% for anything but the simplest queries. It's closer to 80% now, so far.

In your case, the most common suggestion seems to be "try a hard reset". I know, I hate when that's the best suggestion, but apparently it works sometimes. :)

Brad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte