Windows 10 update deleted my files, how can I get them back?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 Update Deleted My Files

I just updated to windows 10 and when I first started up my computer my files were there, just moved to a different folder(i had to access them through C:/users) I then restarted my computer and now all of files that were on my desktop, downloads folder, pictures, and music folder have all disappeared. Searching for them using Cortana gives no results. Is there anyway I can get them back? Should I try restoring my system to Windows 7? Thanks.

keke19

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me. I recovered my files and moved them to my desktop and the next day my laptop died and when I turned it back on my files disappeared. I'm wondering whether I should go back to windows 7 as well, but I have a feeling the files would still be gone.

khanda11

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. Upgraded to windows 10 a few weeks ago. My files were all moved as well and I moved them back which deleted them from the folders the upgrade had moved them to. I also did some customization with backgrounds and colors. Today, I was working on my computer on battery power. It shut off, presumably because the battery died, though it died very fast and did not warn me it was low. Then, when I plugged it in and tried to boot back up it did a nearly 20 minute update that I could not stop. When I finally got the login screen back up, it wouldn't log in and gave me an error message. I tried logging in again and it brought the desktop back up almost as though it had just done the windows 10 upgrade again. All of my customization was gone along with my files. They were not moved back to the C:/Users folder or the C:/Windows.old folder. I tried using ShadowExplorer, which looked like it would work, but I only got a few files in when it had errors and had to close. When I reopened it, it could no longer find the older restore point it was using. Just one from today after the update. I am now attempting to use Recuva, but I have my doubts. If anyone has any other ideas or fixes to try, they would be much appreciated.

oprahjimfrey989

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me too. I don't know why excalibur1814 doesn't believe anyone. I made this account now because I am concerned about this problem. Yes backup would have helped but that's besides the point right now. Help anyone please?

Travis Ingersoll

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I updated to windows 10 and found that my files were missing. After searching, I found the files and moved them back to 'my documents' folder. When I rebooted the files were gone. The reason for this is that windows 10 overwrote the files during the final reboot. This is simply terrible planning on Microsoft's part and there is no excuse for this 'Glitch". They should be saving an image of your documents and taking care not to overwrite them!

Either way, if you do not see your files in the correct places after the upgrade, DO NOT FIND AND MOVE ANY OF YOUR FILES OR YOU WILL LOSE THEM! SIMPLY REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER MANUALLY AND HOPEFULLY ALL OF YOUR FILES WILL SHOW UP.

sml24_2

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
This is exactly what happened to me.
After a long installation of windows 10 it appeared to have completed and I had access to all my folders.
I found all my document files (music, downloads, pictures, etc) in C:/users/nameuser/...., and duly moved them to the new folders.
Everything appeared to be there and worked, so I was content.
On rebooting the computer appeared to go through a complete startup process and on completion, to my horror, all my files were gone from the new location and not in C:/users/nameuser either.
I did not find anything in C:/windows old/
I did not use my computer after, because I do not want that the files overwrite.
I saw in other forums, if I came back to my last back up system, where was the "admin temporal acount", then I will see the files with shadow explorer, BUT My last backup system was not the "administrator temporal" , because I install a recuva software, the last back up is when install the software.
Could you or someone help me please?????? :unhappysweat::unhappysweat:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99