Can't add primary account on my phone to Outlook

spetstnelis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I recently switched from Android to a Windows phone (Lumia 950 unlocked) just to try something different. Anyway, I successfully created my Outlook (Microsoft?) account and am using that as the primary account for my phone. I do have a Gmail account that I primarily use for emails, and a work email.

In Outlook, I was successfully able to add my Gmail account and work email account, but for some reason I don't see any way to receive email on the Outlook email account I had created. I even tried adding it to Outlook manually, but once it says it's been added successfully, I return to the list of email accounts in the app, and do not see the Outlook email added. Am I missing a step somewhere or not realizing something?

If I go to Settings > Accounts > Your email and accounts, I see my Outlook account, but I still don't see it in Outlook itself.

Thanks everyone.

spetstnelis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
So I realized there were some topics already on this issue, and some people suggested performing a hard reset on the device. Seeing as how my Lumia is less than a week old, I didn't have any files to lose, so I attempted the hard reset. Unfortunately this essentially bricked my phone, because now I am stuck in a blue screen that says something regarding bitlocker recovery. I don't know what that means, but I can't turn my phone off to save battery either because it just turns back on. I ended up pulling out the battery and now will be taking it to the MS store today to see what's going on.

I seem to be joining a rather large party when I say I'm a little disappointed in my experience with the device :(

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
So I realized there were some topics already on this issue, and some people suggested performing a hard reset on the device. Seeing as how my Lumia is less than a week old, I didn't have any files to lose, so I attempted the hard reset. Unfortunately this essentially bricked my phone, because now I am stuck in a blue screen that says something regarding bitlocker recovery. I don't know what that means, but I can't turn my phone off to save battery either because it just turns back on. I ended up pulling out the battery and now will be taking it to the MS store today to see what's going on.

I seem to be joining a rather large party when I say I'm a little disappointed in my experience with the device :(

Welcome! I've been on the train since October 2010 before giving up some time ago and getting an iPhone.

Just bought a 640 on sale to check out where W10 mobile stood and have the same issue as you!

Good to see that some things never change!

Just reset my phone. Hopefully this works or I'll just toss my $40 paperweight into the trash much like my Foci and Lumias from the past

spetstnelis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Welcome! I've been on the train since October 2010 before giving up some time ago and getting an iPhone.

Just bought a 640 on sale to check out where W10 mobile stood and have the same issue as you!

Good to see that some things never change!

Just reset my phone. Hopefully this works or I'll just toss my $40 paperweight into the trash much like my Foci and Lumias from the past

I'd be happy to take the 640 off your hands :wink:

A follow-up though: I did go to the MS store to get a replacement (this was hassle-free). As I set up my accounts, I made sure that I was receiving emails on the primary Microsoft account prior to adding my other email accounts. This also went trouble-free. So I would say I no longer have any problems with the phone :)

The first Lumia 950 I had seemed to have been other troubles where it just wouldn't shut off, which seems to have exacerbated my hard reset blue screen issues. But again, I was able to get the phone replaced without any hassle. Email and calendar works well, camera is wonderful, and I am now generally happy with my device.

BlueEchoes

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Having this issue as well. 5 email accounts. 3 are from a personal domain, 1 is work Exchange, then 1 is a Hotmail account that is the primary Microsoft account. Exchange added fine. 3 domain accounts took about a dozen times to get them in, Hotmail primary account still will not add. I had problems with the Outlook app on iPhone when I would wipe the device and start fresh, but never like this. Spets, so if I wipe all accounts off device, then add the primary first, it should take?

BlueEchoes

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Wiped out all accounts. Tried adding primary in first. Nothing, no workie. How can the primary account for the phone and all things Microsoft not get added into their own Outlook app? Confused and annoyed. I quit on iPhones because the annoyance level (even when jailbroken) was way too high. If I can't do a simple task of adding an email account to a phone, that is not a good start.

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Wiping accounts does seem to do it. You need to reset the phone. He is what I did.
1. Backup the phone
2. Reset the phone
3. Load Insider and Windows 10 Mobile
4. Input my email accounts starting with primary Microsoft Live account.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this helps but Microsoft email accounts are difficult to setup on Windows 7. I think they're very touchy although the Note 2 has no problem.

I am going to get a 950XL, I have a Galaxy Note 2 now. I have a MS Live.com account. My main account is a GoDaddy domain acct. I also have a gmail and Yahoo acct. On none of these accts do I have any of my contacts online. I have a laptop with Win 7, a desktop with Win 7 (those will never go to Win 10 because tax software companies won't support it for now.)

So, which account do I setup first seeing as the GoDaddy domain acct is my primary. Can I take my contacts from my laptop, where I have Outlook from MS Office 10 and get them into the 950XL? I don't know what to do first. I do not have an MS cloud acct.

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if this helps but Microsoft email accounts are difficult to setup on Windows 7. I think they're very touchy although the Note 2 has no problem.

I am going to get a 950XL, I have a Galaxy Note 2 now. I have a MS Live.com account. My main account is a GoDaddy domain acct. I also have a gmail and Yahoo acct. On none of these accts do I have any of my contacts online. I have a laptop with Win 7, a desktop with Win 7 (those will never go to Win 10 because tax software companies won't support it for now.)

So, which account do I setup first seeing as the GoDaddy domain acct is my primary. Can I take my contacts from my laptop, where I have Outlook from MS Office 10 and get them into the 950XL? I don't know what to do first. I do not have an MS cloud acct.
I have a Go Daddy IMAP account, too. I set up my Microsoft account first. Then work Exchange. Then Go Daddy IMAP.

My contacts are in both my Microsoft and my work Exchange however the contacts in those accounts are linked.

After the hard reset and setting back in that order, all is well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss