Windows 10 Terrible on Tablets!

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
W8.1 was the best tablet OS by far (in my opinion, of course). For those who were prepared to put just a small amount of effort into learning it, they got to enjoy the slickest, most productive and most modern user experience by far.

Steve, you're right on several points. And, most importantly, the experience is what you want on Windows 8.1. The only downsides are that support for Windows 8.1 will end sooner than Windows 10, and new apps being written for the W10 Universal App framework may not work under 8.1. I know it's weird, but Windows 8.1 Universal Apps and Windows 10 Universal Apps are different frameworks.

Other than those two issues, I don't see a reason why anyone can't stay on 8.1 and enjoy it for many years.

gregh57

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought a surface pro 3 with a dock - the only time I've splashed out and bought what I thought would be high quality hardware. Win8 was okay but 8.1 really set things on a good track. I couldn't believe all the ridiculous press about how awful it was. But Microsft obviously did and now I have win10 - one of if not the worst OS's I have ever used - on hardware that is also complete junk. The dock loses connected drives all the time ie many times a day. But at least the net doesn't disconnect itself all the time now like it used to. And the screen has fuzzy yellow bars down the sides now. Windows 10 was a complete step back in usability - why for instance did they completely change the way you could snap screens? Onedrive is junk - today I had a repeated notification that I couldn't delete OneNote links from Onedrive. I mean every couple of seconds this notification appears. Puzzled me as I don't use Onenote, hardly use Onedrive and have done nothing to change anything about them. Getting rid of those notifications was not trivial - in the end I disconnected Onedrive sync and deleted all the files. But I am not going back to dropbox - instead when my current projects finish in the next couple of weeks I am taking advantage of the very good replacement guarantee for the Surface Pro and sending it back because of the screen problem, getting the replacement, then selling it and buying a Macbook Pro - and I hate Apple as a company. My years old desktop could edit video in Premiere easily - on my Surface Pro - t can barely play across a single jpeg, let alone an actul film clip. Hopeless..

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought a surface pro 3 with a dock - the only time I've splashed out and bought what I thought would be high quality hardware. Win8 was okay but 8.1 really set things on a good track. I couldn't believe all the ridiculous press about how awful it was. But Microsft obviously did and now I have win10 - one of if not the worst OS's I have ever used - on hardware that is also complete junk. The dock loses connected drives all the time ie many times a day. But at least the net doesn't disconnect itself all the time now like it used to. And the screen has fuzzy yellow bars down the sides now. Windows 10 was a complete step back in usability - why for instance did they completely change the way you could snap screens? Onedrive is junk - today I had a repeated notification that I couldn't delete OneNote links from Onedrive. I mean every couple of seconds this notification appears. Puzzled me as I don't use Onenote, hardly use Onedrive and have done nothing to change anything about them. Getting rid of those notifications was not trivial - in the end I disconnected Onedrive sync and deleted all the files. But I am not going back to dropbox - instead when my current projects finish in the next couple of weeks I am taking advantage of the very good replacement guarantee for the Surface Pro and sending it back because of the screen problem, getting the replacement, then selling it and buying a Macbook Pro - and I hate Apple as a company. My years old desktop could edit video in Premiere easily - on my Surface Pro - t can barely play across a single jpeg, let alone an actul film clip. Hopeless..

Wow, I've never heard such a bad review of the Surface before...

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I prefer some elements of W8.1, but let's get real here... Windows 10 is a step forward.

Notification Center
Action Buttons
Cortana
Unified Settings Menu
Edge (much better with the exception of the swipe to navigate)

And those are just the big guys. Sure, I have some problems with a handful of regressive UI changes here and there, but the whole thing is a step forward, feature-wise.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I prefer some elements of W8.1, but let's get real here... Windows 10 is a step forward.

Notification Center
Action Buttons
Cortana
Unified Settings Menu

I agree with most of those, especially the Settings menu (whoever implemented that on WP8.1 should have been fired). But what annoys me is that ALL of those could have been implemented WITHOUT throwing away the entire UI language of WP8.1.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I agree, the Windows 8 UI language was better, but it was turned into poison by tech media and popular sentiment. It doesn't matter how much MS refined it or improved it, as long as Windows looked like that, it was going to be ridiculed. Now that it's gone, everyone can calm the f*ck down and focus on what makes W8 and W10 better.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Notification Center
Action Buttons
Cortana
Unified Settings Menu

And those are just the big guys. Sure, I have some problems with a handful of regressive UI changes here and there, but the whole thing is a step forward, feature-wise.

Notification Center - Much needed
Action Buttons - Nice as well
Cortina - "Hey Cortana" "Hey Cortana" "Hey Cortana" (oh well, she stopped listening for some reason)
Unified Settings - Nice
Edge - In tablet mode, without TPLs and swipe it's a brutal experience for those who had this before this downgrade of a browser.

So in a nutshell, they could have added Notification Center, Action Buttons, Cortana, Unified Settings, and Edge if they wanted to 8.1 UI Paradigm. The mouse and keyboard interface that people loved before it could have easily been augmented. It's the tablet experience that was the new and shiny object.

How is Windows 10 that great when the tiles don't even update? Or when there's ads in my Start Menu? Or when it takes longer to log in? Or when I have no idea what software update is getting pushed to my workstation? No more picking and choosing what update gets installed.

No thanks. Windows 10 makes you the product instead of it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There are certain apps and functions that I wouldn't mind on Windows 8, but l used 10 on my (now broke) Toshiba Encore 2 and l felt like l lost more than I gained. Sometimes 8 feels unfinished but 10 feels cumbersome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon