Duplicate SMS and MMS Messages... Can They Be Removed For Good?

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
When I configured my new Lumia 950 it took a couple of days to get all or most messages back. Then I discovered that the majority of them had duplicates and even triplicates. This seems to be the case with messages dated before Oct. 29, 2015. Before that date my old Lumia 920 was on WP 8.1 which I then upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile build 10549. On Oct. 29, 2015 I upgraded the Lumia 920 to Windows 10 Mobile build 10581 (used the device recovery first due to the upgrade bug). So all these duplicate messages are coming from WP 8.1 or W10M build 10549.
The strange part is that I spent some time going thru several SMS/MMS conversations and deleted the duplicates, only to find that a few days later they are back. I deleted them again only to find that they again came back. It seems that I just can't get rid of them.
Is my only recourse to just ignore them?

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem on all of my phones: 521, 640, and 950.

Have you upvoted any of the feedback items on this so that Microsoft knows it is an issue impacting more than just one person?

Personally I have some threads where every message is duplicated about 10 times. I figured the problem was all of the Insider builds were uploading the messages again as if they were new when you do an in-place upgrade... Bad times...

I hope they have fixed it so it won't get worse, and then I hope they run something on the server side to cleanup the duplicates even if it means I have to do a hard-reset to start over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb