When i was upgrading to Windows 10 an unwanted piece of software seems to have been installed without my approval. This program is called Something. 1 in 3 times i start my computer, i'm greeted with a smiling face and "Something went wrong! Try again". Try WHAT?

Imagine a situation. You have health issues. You go to see a doctor. He does some tests and then with a bright smile on his face declares "something went wrong with you! Please try again! Bye bye. Don't let the door slap you on your way out". If you think this doctor is incompetent (to put it mildly) then that's exactly what Microsoft is too.

Back when i had Windows 8, Something never went wrong (probably because i didn't have Something installed in the first place). And i never had to try an unspecified action again. Quite obviously, Something broke my computer. And it happened because of Windows 10. I never ever launched Something. I never installed Something. I don't even know what this Something does. Is it new game? Adware? Maybe it's a spyware or virus because it's not in the Registry.

Since this situation keeps happening ever since the release of Windows 10 i assume Microsoft is in no hurry to fix anything. Meanwhile i have a simple question - how do i uninstall or at least disable this Something so i can use my computer normally again?
    12-07-2015 09:55 AM
    Comedy aside, it's likely to do with a hardware driver. If you built your own system, go to your motherboard manufacturer and download and install all the Windows 10 drivers for your motherboard. If you bought your system, go to the manufacturer and download and install all the Windows 10 drivers for your system. If there are no drivers for Windows 10 for your system, then ask your manufacturer's support about Windows 10 compatibility for your system.
    12-07-2015 10:41 AM
    This is classic, along the lines of the old "Press any key to continue? I don't have an any key on my keyboard!"

I really wish that error messages still meant something. They went the same place as update changelogs apparently.
    12-07-2015 11:03 AM
    Microsoft... Please teach people to resolve their issues. You've supplied FREE software yet you're getting the blame for lazy people that don't check the oem web pages for updated drivers. I can see a poster's point as checking Event logs is beyond 90% of people but... you know.

Hope it gets fixed.
    12-08-2015 08:42 AM
    I can certainly understand your point. But the message itself is clear hint that Windows 10 is dumbed down so that your "90%" would not get a jumpscare "Oh my god! It's an error 0x00008! We all are going to die!!!!!!1!!!". These people wouldn't use Even Viewer even if they're told to.

I don't consider myself pro-user. And i'm not Windows Server admin. Still i managed to make do without Event Viewer for 20 years. Mostly because i always chose the option to manually approve every update. So i knew what action went wrong. And that's why this "We have something to tell you but you wouldn't understand it so we won't bother" message looks like a mockery rather than something helpful.

P.S. It's not like i stole my laptop. I paid for it AND for Windows 8 license. So the software is not FREE.
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-08-2015 01:32 PM
    Microsoft... Please teach people to resolve their issues. You've supplied FREE software yet you're getting the blame for lazy people that don't check the oem web pages for updated drivers. I can see a poster's point as checking Event logs is beyond 90% of people but... you know.
    FREE in the case of Win10 means theres no charge for an update to the OS you already bought. The only costs are (a) it may introduce a variety of new problems on your machine, (b) youll have less control over your OS; and (c) youll have to work pretty hard on privacy controls to minimize the amount of additional data were collecting on your usage. But otherwise, absolutely FREE. In making it FREE, our only thought at Microsoft was the welfare of our users. Considerations of market power and profit never even entered our minds."
    12-08-2015 03:38 PM
    <...starts passing out aluminum foil hats>
    12-09-2015 03:39 PM