Please convince me to stay with with Windows Phone

sburak

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I have been a Windows Phone user since the Windows Mobile days and have had numerous Windows Mobile and Windows Phone devices from the MotoQ, Samsung Focus, Lumia 920 and Lumia 640. I finally gave up and got an iPhone 6s and, frankly, have been very underwhelmed with the experience. Windows Phone beats iOS hands down in terms of user the UI. It is much more intuitive but the issue is the app gap. I don't care about things like SnapChat but I do care about business apps and other things like fitness, ski apps etc. The only reason I would continue on iOS is for the apps. My preference would be to stay with with Windows -- is there a chance that the "app gap" will ever get closed?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is a chance that more apps will be available for Windows 10 Mobile. However, that will not happen soon. It will take time for developers to have interest and to use Islandwood to port their iOS apps. We cannot predict if or when that will happen.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want to leave the os, just get yourself a cheap ipod touch and get the apps you want. Sure it is two devices but you don't have to give up windows if you don't want.

Nobody can really convince you to stay or go. It is your choice of course. My reasons for staying May not apply.

Of course the windows phone bashers will try and force their opinion upon you.:D

I am with windows phone sikolu because I love the ui and excellent hardware.

sburak

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
That's a good point - the hardware and the OS is FAR superior to iOS. The only real difference is the lack of apps. I may consider that option since I have been very disappointed with the iPhone so far.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
There will always be the latest crave of "must have apps" that aren't on WP. If you are one of those that has to have an app because friends of yours do then WP probably isn't for you.

I remember the days on WPCentral with the countless threads of "WP is dead because it doesn't have Candy Crush". I think eventually all those apps Will show up on WP just not when everyone needs them.

Last edited:

bh5213

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
That's we do. Wife and I both have 830s that we love. Huge windows fan, but we bought an used ipod touch just so we can get her medical apps and the target cartwheel app.

sburak

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
It has nothing to do with apps that my friends have. My company's expense reporting uses an app that is only available on iOS, my credit card company sunsetted their Windows app, my son's basketball team's app is only on iOS and Android. Microsoft has got to get some of these developers on board soon - their OS is far better but that only goes so far.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been a Windows Phone user since the Windows Mobile days and have had numerous Windows Mobile and Windows Phone devices from the MotoQ, Samsung Focus, Lumia 920 and Lumia 640. I finally gave up and got an iPhone 6s and, frankly, have been very underwhelmed with the experience. Windows Phone beats iOS hands down in terms of user the UI. It is much more intuitive but the issue is the app gap. I don't care about things like SnapChat but I do care about business apps and other things like fitness, ski apps etc. The only reason I would continue on iOS is for the apps. My preference would be to stay with with Windows -- is there a chance that the "app gap" will ever get closed?

I don't think this app gap will ever close. MS has abandoned windows platform it seems...
Still i am gonna stick with my 640XL and see what WP10 brings upto the table. If situation doesn't improve, i am going to ditch wp and get an iphone ( sorry can stand the lagdroid)..

sburak

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
If you get an iPhone you should get ready for a very kludgy UI. Hard to get things done and very unintuitive compared to Windows Phone. Microsoft did an excellent job with their OS. All these years I thought I was missing out on something but honestly iOS isn't even close to Windows. If they had the apps it wouldn't even be close.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been a Windows Phone user since the Windows Mobile days and have had numerous Windows Mobile and Windows Phone devices from the MotoQ, Samsung Focus, Lumia 920 and Lumia 640. I finally gave up and got an iPhone 6s and, frankly, have been very underwhelmed with the experience. Windows Phone beats iOS hands down in terms of user the UI. It is much more intuitive but the issue is the app gap.

I can't convince you because I couldn't convince myself.

I recently transitioned from my Icon to a 6s and I've been very happy with the iPhone, so I'm curious about what makes iOS so underwhelming for you. I do miss the control that live tiles give me over the UI, and I am also a fan of wireless charging. (I still have my Icon sitting on its charging pad, ready to fire up at any moment.) But overall, iOS seems very polished -- things just work, and I finally have the apps that I couldn't get. I was using a two-device system, loading an iPad mini with the apps I couldn't get on my phone, but that sometimes seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

I made the move because lately the news on WM market share has not been good. That means, I think, that the app gap isn't going to change much any time soon.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Make your own decision. Like you, I am a WP user for a long time but also got an iPhone 6+ on a 2nd line just to try something new while the Lumia flagships were in hiatus. Lo and behold, I don't like iOS as much as WP...but...it's not as if it is a bad experience. It seems to me that you can't really go wrong with iOS or Android and you can't really go wrong with WP as long as you know what you're getting into. If you are an app junkie maybe that is the primary consideration for you. But again, make your own decision--you know what you want.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
There will always be the latest crave of "must have apps" that aren't on WP. If you are one of those that has to have an app because friends of yours do then WP probably isn't for you.

I remember the days on WPCentral with the countless threads of "WP is dead because it doesn't have Candy Crush". I think eventually all those apps Will show up on WP just not when everyone needs them.

And before that it was "WP is dead because it doesn't have Instagram." And before that it was Pandora.

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I just got an 6+s myself last week after being with WP since 2011. The best thing to do is to just wait it out with an iOS or Android phone if you need the apps now. Wait and see if the bridges actually work and if apps start to flow back into WP and switch back if that is the os you truly prefer.

I mean no one can really tell you what to do but I know i have been enjoying my experience on iOS, everything just works and it isnt buggy as hell in a constant beta state. But then again the UI is annoying but you get used to it in a week or two.

nsp24

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm picking up my 950 XL today and have been so tempted to go android just because of a few apps. I had an iphone for about 4 years and it is so boring. One app I use regularly on my android tablet is the daily mail and they have just done a new app for windows 10 and I tried it on my Lumia 820 and its brilliant so we are getting new apps slowly.

Hooraybeers

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Like you I have been with windows phone since the Samsung Focus. After getting a 950 it would be the first time I would not recommend a windows phone. I would have left this community if my current employer hadn't supplied Iphones for business

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077