How do I turn off/disable Windows Hello on Lumia 950?

Buttowski

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How to turn off/disable Windows Hello on Lumia 950

I've used Windows Hello on my 950 since I got it on release day but have found that 9 times out of 10 it's easier to just enter my PIN rather than maneuvering the phone into position for the IRIS scan. It's just the way I use my phone you know lying on my desk or in the car mount or whatever.

So I went to sign-in options on the phone and turned off "Automatically unlock the screen if we recognize your iris". Then I tapped the "Remove" button under the Iris section. It continued to display "Looking for you" when I went to unlock my phone so I went back to sign-in options and removed the PIN and tapped Remove under the Iris section again just for the heck of it. It didn't display the looking for you after that but after I added the PIN back it started looking for me again.

Maybe I missing something obvious but how do you completely disable Windows Hello?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to turn off/disable Windows Hello on Lumia 950

Settings > Sign-in options > under "Windows Hello," is "Remove." Click on that and you're done.

Buttowski

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I mentioned that I did that. The Remove button doesn't seem to do anything. It continues to Look for me.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

It takes a sec... If you're still having issues, do a soft reset (take the battery out).

It was very strange. I found Windows Hello getting progressively worse as I trained it from weird angles (protip: don't train it upside down). Then I removed it and readded it and it's been working like a charm ever since.

Buttowski

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think maybe the problem I was having with turning off Windows Hello may have been a result of the update for the OS. At the same time I was trying to turn it off, the update was giving me trouble. The same low storage and install failures that others were reporting. I finally did a hard reset of the phone and didn't set up Windows Hello. The update installed and everything is good now.

Thanks for the input!

nzmike

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I gave up on Hello which is a great shame as I bought a 950XL specifically to use this feature in apps I write where security is needed (like a password app for example). I am guessing it works well for some people but I wear glasses and it takes ages to recogniser me (if it even can) when I have them on.
If I take them off it generally recognises me but sometimes it doesn't recognise me when it did 10 minutes before and in the exact same light (like at my desk at work). So, for me it's too unreliable and slow - it's mostly quicker just to use the PIN code (which I don't think is nearly secure enough but that's another issue).

Last edited:

justynegert

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Same issue as above - tried Hello and found it too slow. Tried "Remove" and nothing happens despite multiple soft resets. Is a hard reset the only option? Really growing tired of Windows 10 bugs. This has been my worst Windows phone to date.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2