This guy hits the nail on the head with Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The PocketNow review I saw had Captain two phones complain about a lot of issues that got fixed in a couple more days after the original posting date.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
To anyone thinking that Michael Fisher is "just another tech journalist who is bashing windows phone" - I just wanted to get this out there that he is a Windows Phone fan and loves using Windows Phone. I have been watching his reviews for years and he always says how he likes Windows Phone's UI and aesthetics and even has done some cool vids like his top windows phone apps and such.

I am sure he must have felt the same pain while filming this review that we have now when watching it.

Myster Marz

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree with this! This is a very disturbing trend now-a-days not just with this, but in the videos game market as well. I love WP, but callling your product a beta product to try and get people to accept the issues it has is such a cheap cop out.

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
The way I see it, MS realized that there's no way they'll be able to finish development in time, and had two choices - 1.either postpone the release date which, after such a long period without flagships, would enrage everyone, or 2.release it anyway and call it beta which would enrage some while others will be excited just to get a new flagship with a new OS. No wonder they chose the second option.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the 950, not the XL, but I've had ZERO of the issues here. With exception of the lacking apps and app compatibility - which is long known and expected with Windows 10 being so new, respectively.

I had two friends get a 950. One was coming from a Lumia 822, the other a Lumia 928. Those are some old models. They waited FOREVER to upgrade because they were so excited for, finally, a new Windows flagship phone. They were on Verizon, they switched to AT&T as Microsoft lost all clout with Verizon in the USA. They had been on Verizon for, and this is not an exaggeration, since 1993. That is some dedication right there to stay with Windows.

Unfortunately Microsoft released a complete mess as they would find out after all their waiting and wanting...

One returned it for a Galaxy Edge after all the problems with heat, battery, notifications, "resume..." "Loading..." ... The other friend didn't return it as he likes to figure out tech and while will complain about likes the platform too much to leave. Still, every few days I get a message about how he hates AT&T compared Verizon or suddenly and randomly the battery will just dump 25% in an hour for no reason (wifi off, not downloading anything, in standby / playing music) .. he has all the latest updates and whatever.

I returned my 950 XL cause it was a trainwreck. I don't care if it was release day, its a $700 item after tax and acted like some kid cobbled it together in a basement somewhere. The screen looked terrible on white backgrounds if you tilted it even slightly. The back of it was loose the first time I removed it to add the battery and SIM.

The 950 / XL release has been a complete clusterfrigg and Microsoft should be ashamed they let something with so many predictable and testable issues out the door. At least I got my $700 back ... my last straw will be the "Surface Phone" ... if that is a mess, I will just leave the platform, which sucks cause I been using it since 2011.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I have with my 950 is keeping the ladies off me when they see it. The live tiles start spinning, sending them into deep hypnosis. They can't keep their hands off me or my phone. Keep it in your pants ladies. Jeez.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Yep. The only fault I find in that review is that it is too generous. I won't even grant you said advantages. Which is why I felt I completely wasted my money on a 950 and it now sits on the charger while I have gone back to my 1020, which is better in almost every respect.

artybee

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I can honestly say that NONE of those issues are happening on my 950. Sure, I had one app that caused a restart & lag but it was old nonessential lock screen app, uninstalled & back to normal.

I don't know why I haven't had any of the issues we've all seen reported, but I haven't.

Yup-had my 950xl for 11 days and seen none of these issues.As a long term Android user it's incredibly smooth and fast and battery life is very good. ( currently sitting on 50 % after 14 hours - mainly on standby with an hours web browsing and emails) . Windows Hello isn't really useable yet and I've seen one crash in that time - plus the apps aren't as fully featured as I've been used to on Android - but overall I'm incredibly impressed. Granted I'm on the latest release, so I'm guessing my timing was fortunate, but it's good to see some innovation in what has become a very staid smartphone market.

Last edited:

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
battery life is very good. ( currently sitting on 50 % after 14 hours - mainly on standby with an hours web browsing and emails)

That's parallel with what I'd expect from the battery on my 950, with it only taking serious dips when I'm playing GTA San Andreas. Battery life is very dependant on what apps are sharing data in the background and how often though, can change massively from user to user.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame so many people are having problems with their 950s. I'm running the latest build on my 1520 and my biggest problems are Edge and Groove. Otherwise my W10 experience has been pretty good. l haven't tried out a lot of third party apps since upgrading, though.

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
My experience with Windows 10, whether it be desktop or mobile, is that it behaves differently when installed even on the same hardware. My Surface Pro 3 was solid with Windows 8.1 and it has had nothing but problems since upgrading to Windows 10, instability, BSODs, High CPU when idle, overheating and very poor battery life. My 1020 had various issues as well, after 4 complete hard resets each with different results I finally have stability. Went from 3 hours battery life, to multiple crashes, to the phone using all my of my data in my plan even when disabled, to over 24 hours battery and all apps working, no crashes and performance above what I was getting with 8.1.

I believe the issue is mostly on Windows 10 and less about the hardware which explains the varying experiences on the same hardware between users.

Edit: There is actually one thing that doesn't work well at all on my 1020, bringing up Cortana and typing something to search takes forever. It used to work instantly on 8.1, now I don't both I just launch Edge and search from there.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
The most frustrating thing on w10m is for me not being able to change phone number labels to my own, those mobile1, work 2 etc

Michael Costa

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
We have 3 x new 950xl's. Got to say I have no idea why people are complaining, we have certainly found our phones to work well coming off the 1020 and the 930 series of phone... Whilst win10 is not extraordinary it's only works well.. Happy with our purchases..

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 950 for a week now, having spent three years on a 920 (8.1 Dev Preview).

Absolutely loving the 950 and apart from the app gap (and sideloading Here Maps), having no issues others are complaining about. I even installed some of the apps the reviewer complained about in the video and they installed without an issue.

I suppose I obtained the 950 with my eyes open and did not have unreasonable expections of the OS. Updates to the various apps come out weekly and W10M is constantly improving. Have not even thought of going back to WP 8.1.

Sin_Co

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I would call it...a work in progress, lol. It definitely wasn't ready. But is it sending me into conniptions? Nope. I'm enjoying my 950 a lot, happy to see them working on updates, and for me, it was a welcome upgrade from my 925 on AT&T and the $149 spent was perfect ;)

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I watched that review 2 times now and it's dead on. No matter how much we all love Windows 10 phone, it's a buggy mess. For the most part it's good but, app crashes, start menu crashes, battery drain, and most other issues are very common but, happens across devices. Preview and 950/950XL models.

You cant honestly sit here and say NONE of these issues affected you at all... I know fanboys WILL be fanboys but, there are issues.

Read through the preview threads and 950 and 950XL threads, 95% of the problems he said are not unknown on here.

It's no longer a beta, all these issues should of been resolved before these models were released.

Which is why I've taken a break for the next year and switched to an iPhone 6sPlus. That and the fact that I'm on Verizon and can't even get the 950/950XL in the first place. I'm really hoping that next year there will be a Surface Phone and that Verizon will carry it. Then I may be back to my beloved Windows OS but I've got to be honest, the iOS on the iPhone is winning me over day by day. Inmy heart I'm hoping that Windows can produce a device/OS at least as good as iOS on the iPhone. I love the Windows 10 M UI and would really like to be able to go back to it without any compromises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss