This guy hits the nail on the head with Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Harsh review. The negative tone is strong yet he doesn't actually mention that many bugs when you listen properly.

No idea why he counts Windows Phone 8 games crashing on Windows 10 Mobile as a problem with the phone when it's obviously a developer oversight that can and has been fixed with app updates (see Minecraft).

Because the average punter doesn't know or care about that. If the app won't run on W10M, it shouldn't be in the W10M Store.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Because the average punter doesn't know or care about that. If the app won't run on W10M, it shouldn't be in the W10M Store.

Here's a curious thing; the reviewer complains that apps are in the store but unstable, while also complaining that apps are in the store and labelled as incompatible. Would he be happy either way? Or would he still just single out apps to use as an example?

Nonetheless, the only game I'm aware of that 'won't run' was patched so it does, and the rest crash so infrequently a bit of dev love could probably erase the issues altogether. I certainly have yet to see a developer exclaim "Windows 10 is terrible, it's impossible to get my game working!".

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Funny how the Windows Central audience credits iphone bloggers with high praise when they review Windows Phone and call it a loser.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Funny how the Windows Central audience credits iphone bloggers with high praise when they review Windows Phone and call it a loser.

It has nothing to do with whether the phone is called a loser or not.

A person who thinks the final score (good or bad) is what determines the quality of a review (good or bad) is the quintessential example of a ******. What is important is not the final score, but how the reviewer arrived at their conclusions! The reasoning, knowledge and understanding that brought the reviewer to their conclusion is what counts! In this case, there is absolutely nothing we could point to that would indicate ignorance or bias. The reviewer knows and understands WP better than most other reviewers out there, and almost everything that is criticized is shown in the video. You can't criticize the reviewer for doing their job well... if that leads to a poor score, then so be it.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It has nothing to do with whether the phone is called a loser or not.

A person who thinks the final score (good or bad) is what determines the quality of a review (good or bad) is the quintessential example of a ******. What is important is not final score, but how the reviewer arrived at their conclusions! The reasoning, knowledge and understanding that brought the reviewer to their conclusion is what counts! In this case, there is absolutely nothing we could point to that would indicate ignorance or bias. The reviewer knows and understands WP better than most other reviewers out there, and almost everything that is criticized is shown in the video. You can't criticize the reviewer for doing their job well... if that leads to a poor result, then so be it.

Its not just this post but many like it. If my daily drive is an Iphone and pick up a Windows to "review". All that can happen is how well is stacks up with what you know on Iphone. Period. Same with those that love to modify an android home screen. Can't do that on iphone or Windows phone. It loses points on that alone. Microsoft powers up Windows Phone with all of the hardware everyone is screaming about, and that isn't good enough because its "uninspiring". My guess is, WC has a few more years of this yet.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Its not just this post but many like it. If my daily drive is an Iphone and pick up a Windows to "review". All that can happen is how well is stacks up with what you know on Iphone. Period. Same with those that love to modify an android home screen. Can't do that on iphone or Windows phone. It loses points on that alone. Microsoft powers up Windows Phone with all of the hardware everyone is screaming about, and that isn't good enough because its "uninspiring". My guess is, WC has a few more years of this yet.

I'm not going to disagree with any of that. I just don't think it applies to this particular review. I do think it applies to many, if not most, others.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
The review was spot on. Its what it feels like in a neutral point of view. There is no doubt about its potential but its far too immature for an official release and for the likes of android and iphone. As a windows phone user I feel insecure about the OS no wonder developers are not so keen in updating or releasing their apps. I think they too are waiting just like I am to see the full potential of the OS may be they too are aware of the app crashes and dont want to release apps early and get negative reviews.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. IOS games and apps often aren't always compatible with new ios versions till developer update them.

Also keeping in mind, aren't some of these apps made for windows phone 7 Aka 2010?

Thats a different story in other platforms developer support is immediate. But that's not the case with WP we have apps that havent seen an update for years or never intend to come out of beta.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think people should buy these phones because they are great products and the os, while quirky, is quite good.
SAying no one should buy this is basically a bit close minded and arrogant because for many people these products work well and meet their needs.

Professional beta testers? MS should be paying us to try out their half-baked table scraps.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That sounds good but...

...can you point to things in the review posted in this thread that reveal the reviewer came to his conclusions because he was more familiar with an iPhone instead of a Windows Phone?

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
...and #3, pound on MS for doing any or all of the things mentioned in the article. Then apply the same rigid guidelines to the media lovelies, iPhone 6 , and the Samsung Galaxies. Do you not see the same types if issues with them? If W10 is buggy and not ready for prime time, then neither are they. Don't chastise MS for stealing your money, without doing the same to the others. Bottomline, if you're honest about it, there are no phones that meet this bar.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That sounds good but...

...can you point to things in the review posted in this thread that reveal the reviewer came to his conclusions because he was more familiar with an iPhone instead of a Windows Phone?

I could but you make my point without assistance from me. Try to be a little less knee-jerk. Maybe you'll answer your own question.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Heaven forbid that anyone should come into one of these bashing threads and suggest that they're no having problems. It's strongly implicated that you're a liar if you do that. I'm running 10 on a L640 and have experienced no problems. On the contrary, it's refreshing to not be constantly seeing the "resuming" every time I do something on the phone. The truth is that we have no idea how many 950's and 950XL's are having problems. The majority of people don't go onto forums (the exception being Apple) to just praise their devices. They come because they're having some kind of problem. That in no way means that the majority are. The sad thing is that there is very little helpful discourse going on. It's become nothing but a continuous barrage of Microsoft bashing. Yes, I know, I'm just an ignorant ******.
With the recent trend, maybe this site should be renamed Windows Bashing Central.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link.It was indeed an honest and great review.This is another review which also i also feel is honest and to the point about the Lumia 550.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
That sounds good but...

anyone following pocketnow knows fisher is a windows fan, he just happens to be a grown up adult that can judge a product objectively, not a ****** and not a pessimist, just the facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99