This guy hits the nail on the head with Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Has the iPhone ever been released right after a software update ? I clearly remember talking to people who UPGRADED to the newest iPhone software but, had a mess but, people who got a new iPhone with the new software installed had no complaints (accept it was an iPhone but, that is for another discussion). I honestly think bug testing from Apple is far better than Microsoft... BY A LONG SHOT.

And for Android, OEMS are allowed to customize them with their own front end. Sure they have minor bugs, but, each OEM is selling their product with their name, they are not selling Android, they are selling HTC or Samsung so their front ends are a little less bug free. Android devices come with their own bugs and not really the OEM's fault more of the base OS under it all. It IS something to be expected from Android devices.

I am NOT talking about upgrades to current phones, in no way or form or the Preview Program... I am talking about you walking into a store, plopping $650 big ones and getting a brand new phone that is in a SEALED retail box, that is LOADED with a ton of bugs (crashes, OS screen just disappearing, 1/2 finished features, the LIST goes on).

For the record, I am a big Windows Phone fan, I have had Microsoft Windows mobile/HPC/PocketPC devices from 1.0 and with phones, maybe about 10-15 devices now. I see the issues, fan or not, it's a MAJOR problem for me to see Microsoft do this. For people to defend a retail phone with this many bugs and make all these excuses is just showing one thing, Your Windows fan boys.

This is just like iSheep or Fandroids (as they are referred to) you are too blind to see the problems with the OS of your choice.

Sure, I am a fan but, clearly reviews are showing the level of bugs, like the OS review said, funny most issues he claimed about his 950XL, I see on my ICON. So I am sure they are not EXCLUSIVE to the 950XL, it's the software.

You need to get over it, Windows 10 mobile is a buggy mess and there is NOT A FREAKING excuse for Microsoft to release the 950 and 950XL with the level of bugs that it has. When spending that kind of money, you should not have to wait for the NEXT UPDATE...

Even if Verizon picked up the 950XL tomorrow, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole....maybe after 10 MAJOR updates...

Hardware is nice no question....the software at this POINT is a buggy mess.

Stupid iOS 9 bug makes me regret buying an iPhone 6s [Updated]

Sound familiar. :) Google this string "new iphone software bugs". If you sub android for iPhone it will be similar. This is the way of things like it or not. The haters need to get informed before making ANY comparisons or claims of greener grass.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
There are some great things too on Lumia 950 XL, which are not there on rival phones. This doesn't warrant a -ve review. He could have at least given a moderate review.
Michael Fischer is wrong here. Stop defending him.

Two 950XLs crapped out on him. How does that warrant a moderate review? What kind of drugs does one have to take for that to make sense.

I believe that success of Lumia 950 XL is not only important for Microsoft but also for the entire smartphone industry because it takes smartphones to the next level.

Well that went out the window fast. What MS has done with these flagships is flat out embarrassing. Another chapter in the "how not to launch a smartphone" book.

addicusbrown

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It seems as if what the people complaining about in this thread is really how much they paid for the phone and what they are getting for their money. I can feel the pain. When I saw that the 950 & 950XL would basically be $650+ with no payment plan and that MS would be "continually pushing out updates" for the OS, I saw red flags. I haven't purchased phones that way since my HTC 8125 and back then XDA was our major tech support site that would allow us to update the roms and work out the kinks. Yes that phone was $550 + tax and look how far phones have come for the same price point. What I'm saying is you are the beta tester and MS got over on you. Be mad about it, just understand you are just as culpable as they are when you rush out to get the latest and greatest tech. Reality is we are all beta testers in this mobile tech race no matter what platform you choose and all these MULTI BILLION DOLLAR INTERNATIONAL CONGLOMERATES are making money hands over fist on us. Some of them just kiss you after and whisper in your ears little sweet nothings better than others. Just go online and look how many companies are surviving off fixing iPhones and Androids with cracked and shattered screens. Expensive devices are very fragile I guess.

May be the average age or the user experience in years is lower on these forums. It feels like XDA did when all the teenage Android users starts flooding it with their negativity, bullcrap demands of technology perfection and consistent moaning and downplaying of EVERY SINGLE THING Microsoft does. I mean exactly the same. Anyone with a positive review is shouted down and pushed out and the standards being shouted for are way above and beyond what the other competitors are being asked for. There are no solutions to issues anymore, but complaining and degrading.

IOS is more stable. It is also not very new or innovative. Almost every new feature is "borrowed" from Android and Windows. Also, it sucks with Salesforce from a business point of view, which frustrates the crap out of me since my company got all our sales reps Ipads for mobile access. I mean our Salesforce rep basically said the iPhone/Pad apps should be avoided at all costs and to just use the website, which is what us Windows users have to do since we don't have an app. For this who aren't aware, Salesforce is gigantic in the business world for companies with an outside sales force who need to connected real time.

Android is hated on by I.T. Departments everywhere because of the security issues and many cringe at those using them at BYOD companies.

I'm not hating on either one, mainly because both are crushing my beloved Windows Mobile/Phone/10 and MS seems to not really give two ****s since they care more about having the software on the platforms than developing their own juggernaut. I'm realistic when knowing the public doesn't want Windows Mobile anything and automatically thinks it is difficult to use even when it's not. Such is the mind state of our world. Still, I'm happy with what it has and does and I'm not missing much since the 3rd party developer community is so freaking awesome. I've never been a follower or joiner who based my satisfaction and desires by what everyone else shas or wants if the virtues of those desires and wants aren't justifies. My phone rocks and I get compliments on it every single flday (Lumia 1520). Had a guy with the Samsung Galaxy Edge look over and go damn that phone is bad *** last night and I replies so is yours! Why, because that all are.
If the 950 has issues, return it it. If you return a few and the software or hardware aren't up to par, exchange it. Leave a comment or two on what the real issues were and move on. Otherwise you are attempting to spread panic and dissention because you are butt hurt. Sake for people not like the review. If it's fair, it's fair. If you have the same phone and have no issues let him know on his site and everyone can see the issues are for the minority .

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Have you actually ever looked at how the software was on the iPhones during release or even flagship Android devices on release. You have to compare it to other devices, compare the other devices in the same state. iPhones have had huge issues during major ios updates and many issues during launch. It is a new product and there will always be fixes. The reason for this is that it is impossible to catch every bug before a release when you don't have the sheer number of people to test a device and find those bugs.

Have you ever used an iPhone or android phone? I am not sure if you know what you are talking about. I do not have L950 or 950XL. However, I do have L1520 for AT&T with latest insider preview build. There are two unbearable issues:

Phantom touch. The phone goes crazy by itself. I have to type A1B2C3 more than 10 times to unlock the phone a day.

Slow camera. It takes 15-30 seconds to save a picture. Yes I did choose to save pictures on SD card. Taking up to 30 seconds to take a picture is too long. Also the camera app is very buggy and it crashes a lot.

I have used htc titan, radar, samsung focus, L1030, L900, L920, L929,

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
... ...
If the 950 has issues, return it it. If you return a few and the software or hardware aren't up to par, exchange it. Leave a comment or two on what the real issues were and move on. Otherwise you are attempting to spread panic and dissention because you are butt hurt. Sake for people not like the review. If it's fair, it's fair. If you have the same phone and have no issues let him know on his site and everyone can see the issues are for the minority .

EXACTLY.

My 950 works great and I have none of the issues some people are reporting here... but if I had any of those issues I would have resolved it or moved on.

First, I would contact Microsoft support. Second, I would exchange it for a new one.
Third, I would find a new model.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
My phone rocks and I get compliments on it every single flday (Lumia 1520). Had a guy with the Samsung Galaxy Edge look over and go damn that phone is bad *** last night and I replies so is yours! Why, because that all are.

I agree with all you've stated, maybe if MS gets bombarded with enough complaints and returns they'll think twice before releasing a unfinished product again, reviews like this one from Pocketnow certainly should get their attention.. I especially liked your 1520 comment, I cancelled my 950XL weeks ago seeing all the issues with the 950XL and actually ordered a New 1520 which will be here later this week, if anyone wants to see what reviews MS should be wanting they just need to look back at Cnet's Jessica Dolcourt 1520's release review, its MUCH different then her recent Lumia 950 review to say the least.. Nokia Lumia 1520 review - CNET

Nine54

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Have you actually ever looked at how the software was on the iPhones during release or even flagship Android devices on release. You have to compare it to other devices, compare the other devices in the same state. iPhones have had huge issues during major ios updates and many issues during launch. It is a new product and there will always be fixes. The reason for this is that it is impossible to catch every bug before a release when you don't have the sheer number of people to test a device and find those bugs.

Yes, that's true, but in this case, it's not just that the 950 is new, it's that WP is still relatively immature and deficient in some ways from iOS and Android. So, you have a new version/product which is buggy AND an overall immature platform. It's kind of a double-whammy. Blackberry was in this same scenario with its first BB10 devices, which were notoriously buggy. But those bugs combined with intrinsic issues like the app gap can be too much for some consumers.

Because iOS and Android are relatively mature platforms now, the bar has been raised for everyone regardless of whether it's a first-gen product. The technical reasons all make sense, but ultimately, consumers don't care. "So Microsoft needed time to implement a new code base for WP, which why it's buggy? Oh OK, in that case, I won't complain." It's just sort of been the story with WP all along. Again, the purely technical reasons (we could debate business strategy) aren't unreasonable--they just don't do much to assuage frustrations.

IMO, Microsoft needs to make sure it controls what it can control. Issues like the app gap aren't directly in their control and are not things they can fix overnight. But software quality is. No, it won't be perfect--that's just the nature of software--and that's OK. But they certainly can make sure it's high quality.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Guys, there's a saying "rocks are thrown at the tree with ripe fruits", sit back n relax bacoz the day I put my hands on the Windows platform I knew it would be simple and amazing.. W10M is still in it's erly stages, give it some time and see how it grows....

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Calling a writers integrity into account is not OK.
And yet, you're calling the poster's integrity into account. Double standard much? Writers aren't gods. They get paid to write and they are sometimes wrong or biased. What is expressed in a review is a subjective opinion. What is expressed in a forum such as this is subjective opinion. The poster is entitled to his opinion as much as you are yours.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
To the people who have zero problems with their Lumia 950: What are your settings? Do you have a Skype account signed in? Do you use Windows Hello? Do you use "Hey Cortana"? Camera backup? Text message Backup? What are your background apps?

I'm just wondering. I've had a mess of problems and I want my phone to run optimally. I'm willing to give up a few features if I know my phone will work a lot better.

:) Well on my side I have done these things:
  • Setup phone as new
  • disabled skype in Messages app (meaning sign out of it) and using Skype App directly
  • Disabled bluetooth, nfc when not needed
  • Location is On all the time
  • Background apps enabled: facebook,messenger,groove,onedrive,skype app,deezer,weather app and all the 1st party MS apps such as Phone, Messages etc. Rest of the 3rd party apps blocked from background access
  • Windows Hello is disabled as I do not use it
  • Battery saver set to activate at 20%
  • Disdabled use of cellular data when Wifi signal is low
  • I do not own an additional SDCard, so I cannot say how it works with one on my side
  • Cortana is not available in my country but when I did switch to US Region I was not using Hey Cortana
  • Camera backup is On and Photos app is set to also display onedrive pictures
  • Two email accounts: main MS outlook account and icloud account set to sync once a day and icloud manually
  • Lockscreen apps are: phone,messages,calendar and skype with calendar on extra information displayed
  • On wifi I am using the 2.4Ghz one at home. I do also have a 5Ghz network at home but for the phone that is not needed.
  • Good luck :)

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Weird thing is that Apple does have enough testers as no one was so "smart" to lay them off, but with all those engineers they indeed managed to release an IOS update that killed the GSM function of the new released iphone 6 and 6 plus last year. so yes, bugs are everywhere, important is for the owner to fix them if they have enough people left to do it...

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Sound familiar. :) Google this string "new iphone software bugs". If you sub android for iPhone it will be similar. This is the way of things like it or not. The haters need to get informed before making ANY comparisons or claims of greener grass.

At first, iOS 9 users are like:
YdTJNeVl.jpg

Soon, Apple rectified it quick enough and the users are like:
celebrate-celebration-happy.jpg

But, Windows 10 Mobile users are still wondering what's wrong with MS:

what-the-hell.jpg

And the Android users are like:

IeqD0jp.gif

mullern

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
posting from an android platform.... ts, ts...... where does yr experience come from, if I may humbly ask? and 23 posts in total?

I am not claiming to know it better, but i refrain from posting such absolute statements from 'having read all over'. Only own experience and long personal experience would justify that.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Michael Fischer has been a strong defender of the WP platform for years now. Like us. However, like most of us, he has grown tired of the slow progress made by microsoft. Besides, while ios and android are maturing, WP keeps trying to reinvent the wheel each time. The platform is not young anymore. Microsoft tries to revamp things every damn time but can't get things right. W10M does come with promises but in its current state its not ready for prime time. And when the device supporting it costs the same as a galaxy s6 or an iphone, you can't excuse the numerous bugs. That's what michael fischer says in its review and he is right. You can't recommend a phone running on a broken platform to anyone just because you believe in it. We still don't know how long ms will take to make the platform really stable and complete. Spending that much money on expectations is not the way to go, especially in 2015 where mid rangers are more than competing with flagships. Its not windows as a service but windows as a beta. Unfortunately, michael fischer's point of view is not unique among reviewers, which should warn us about the overall quality of the platform right now. Only fanboys try to defend the undefendable. WP looks modern in the front end but in the backend, it's another story.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Riddle me this Batman. Just because Apple does it or Google does it, Does that make it acceptable ?

For a OS that has less than 2.5% in the US, this is not acceptable in any way on a OS that we want to see succeed. A single review like this should not exist, the sad part about it is, he is mostly true, a lot of us saw this issues in the preview program.

If you THINK it is, then you need to check yourself... as I said, ******.

Not a HATER, just a realist...and expect more from a BILLION dollar company like Microsoft..

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
The fact that there seem to be a total lack of quality control for this OS is pretty obvious. But who can blame the team? Have you seen pictures posted by Gabe with their team? a few guys only, devs. Testers, professional testers? missing because Satya made sure of that. He has implemented the same idiotic policy found in many low cost countries like India,China and some Eastern European countries. Here in Romania I can see the same stupid policy: costs as low as possible, no matter if the quality is a total trash. I can expect such things from a smaller company, but not from Microsoft. I am working in such a company where the management does not give a damn about experienced employees and about the quality they deliver to the client, they don't even raise a finger when you as an employee with 7-8 years spent in that company, decide to leave because they either won't pay you as they should or the entire motivational system is a total downfall. I am seeing every day how important clients suffer because from a 20 person team, only 3 or 4 are left experienced, the rest are fresh graduates which need time to adapt.
Satya should wake up because Microsoft was not founded in India, it's an American Company! it does not need to cut the costs in such manner that the quality of products is reduced so drastically!
Ballmer had made many mistakes also, but I haven't seen Microsoft back then complain about money nor to lay off so many engineers because of some midnight dreamed fantasies of a CEO.
Every developer knows that a good testing team is needed for a project of such magnitude.
At least say thanks and be happy that the entire Windows Development is not moved to India or some other low cost country, and the current devs laid off...that would be the worst thing that could happen.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Michael Fisher nailed the review here. Windows 10 Mobile is a complete mess and its hilarious to see people still defending Microsoft coming up with all sorts of excuses. Releasing the 950 line in this state is something that would never happen under Nokia and is just one example of how far Microsoft has fallen.

But the mess of W10M should not surprise anyone, after all Windows 10 is not that much better, just look at the mess that is the Surface Pro 4 and Book, not to mention the thousands of incomplete features and inconsistencies in the OS like still having both a Control Panel and a settings menu.

After the recent cluster-f***s that are Microsoft hardware and software releases, they pretty much lost all the confidence of being able to deliver a working product on release.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Half of the review consists of only 2 bugs - MS-DOS (joke app) not starting and Camera 4K recording problem.
But those bugs are showing repeatedly (3+ times ) on the video to make it look like the phone is plagued with bugs.
How is that not sensationalistic?
Ditto. This is the conclusion you come to when you're paying attent?on.

Hence the level of herp-a-derp required to say "Oh they're just fanboys" as if catching a bug on camera counter-acts the higher volume of people who went down the list just like I did in this very topic, showing everything working that he said didn't.

no matter how many people here say it's perfect, there is 10X as many people who have issues with it
Seeing as everything we see from users suggests the exact opposite (especially when we look at the actual numbers behind the UserVoice logs Fisher used in his "I'm not alone!" portion which reach nowhere near the "sold out everywhere" the 950s have had for the entire month surrounding it's release), I'll just say [Citation Needed]

To the people who have zero problems with their Lumia 950: What are your settings? Do you have a Skype account signed in? Do you use Windows Hello? Do you use "Hey Cortana"? Camera backup? Text message Backup? What are your background apps?
Yep, Skype Messaging is one of the biggest reasons I wanted Windows 10 on a phone (HCE is another big one... but Microsoft is seriously dragging their feet on everything that could make Wallet useful) outside of that all of those are turned on all the time with the exception that I do omit video from my photos backup. As for background apps, I keep essentials (Skype Messaging, Phone, Device Hub, Mail, Calendar, etc) turned on, then Tubecast, Windows Central, Microsoft Health and Package Tracker.

One thing I make sure to do (regardless of phone) is to NOT restore from a backup, and any SD card I put in I also format immediately before using. Then in mail I have about 8 accounts, and I always change that "Based on my Usage" to "As Items Arrive". I don't know if any of these are contributing factors to how I get such a stable experience out of this, but it's kept me trouble-free on my Lumia 820, 640, 830, 1520 so I kept it up on my 950. Everything else in settings is the way it was when I got it out of the box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb