Folder c:\Users\myname\ is not visible after Win 10 upgrade, how can I access them?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Folder c:\Users\myname\ is not visible after Win 10 upgrade

Okay, some background 1st, and bear with me as this is complex. Upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro. Win 7 was set up with a smaller SSD system drive and a larger HDD data drive. The user's data folders had been relocated to e:\Users (not the appdata folder just the users data folders like Documents, Pictures, etc.). Appdata was still located in c:\Users\myname. Computer was not used since upgrade to Win 10
but I had verified that all programs were working fine.

After the most recent updates I lost all my customizations in Word. Found the problem documented online and attempted to do the fix MS suggests. Which starts by going to C:\Users\myname\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates to rename some folders. But when I tired to navigate there using explorer, the folder C:\Users\myname\ doesn't appear. The data folders at e:\users\myname\ are fine, but the C:\Users\myname folder is just gone. However all apps are working fine and clearly accessing the files stored in that location.

So I run %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates and it opens up another copy of File Explorer showing myname > Appdata > Roaming > Microsoft > Templates And in fact I am able to restore the files in question using CrashPlan, restoring them to their original location, which would be C:\Users\myname\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates. I test the Word customizations and they are now working fine again so the restore worked. So it seems the folder is there, but I can not see it in file explorer other than by running %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates.

I've been building and working with computers since the days of DR DOS and this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this. It must be some sort of permissions, security or group policy thing that's preventing me from seeing the folder. I logon as a local account, that is the only user account on the machine. The user is an admin. The computer is part of a home lan all the computers are in the same workgroup and homegroup. I've been part of the Win 10 preview program since early this year. Have done 5 Win 10 VMs and upgraded 6 computers from Win 7 to Win 10. And this is the first problem I have had. I do not want to go through a fresh install if I can avoid it, but I am not happy with invisible user folders. :)

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

MarcSayer

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: Folder c:\Users\myname\ is not visible after Win 10 upgrade

As an update, I worked from the command prompt and C:\Users\myname\ is there I can dir it and view all the contents, folders and all files, just can't see any of it from File Explorer. Settings are R for C:\Users\myname\ and H for C:\Users\myname\appdata\ so things look normal aside from the fact that that the whole subdirectory has pulled a disappearing act in File explorer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05