Windows 10 desktop (together with background, icons and taskbar) disappeared, how can I fix this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 desktop (together with background, icons and taskbar) disappeared

All of a sudden, when using Google Chrome, the taskbar disappeared, and when I minimized Chrome, the background and desktop icons were missing from the screen, all my windows minimized at the bottom left corner. I restarted my PC but that didn't helped... This happened for no reason, I'm 100% I didn't pressed anything, nor installed anything before that might cause the problem..
I can still open almost everything through a window.. but there's some things that don't work now, like clicking right click on background does nothing, adjusting sound through keyboard also (while adjusting screen brightness works properly), I've also tried to open start menu using my keyboard, but that does nothing.... Google Chrome also doesn't want to open, I'm asking this question through IE....
So, what do I do to fix this problem?

Today, my screen also rotated for no reason, just like smartphones and tablets rotate screens... But, I've fixed that somehow..

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 desktop (together with background, icons and taskbar) disappeared

ehm open task manager (ctrl+alt+del) > file > new > explorer.exe (admin rights)

Might have to do it twice and wait for a few minutes. Not sure if this trick will help you, but give it a shot

RobertMKD

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 desktop (together with background, icons and taskbar) disappeared

No, I've already tried that but didn't work..
My screen randomly rotated again, how do I stop that from happening, win10 didn't used to make me problems like this one before...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Go to Control Panel> Display>Change Display Settings and then make sure that the "Allow the screen to auto-rotate" is not selected

For the other issues.. two things to do:

1. create a new user account (with admin rights) > check if that one has the same issues > if it does; see 2nd solution > if it doesn't; disconnect MS account from main UA and add to the second UA > use the second one as your main account for now

2. consider doing a reset

Not pretty solutions, but they could help

RobertMKD

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site

Not sure what are you telling me to do.. I can't find settings without search which isn't working now...

RobertMKD

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site

Okay, I've opened 'Advanced recovery tools' and I've clicked on this message at the bottom 'If you're having problems with your PC, go to Settings and try resetting it'

But I got an error window named 'explorer.exe' with an error message 'Class not registered'

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

so ehm settings doesn't open when using the keyboard combo? win button + i

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I see... these are all threads and links with possible fixes... As you'll see, not all of them have a 100% success rate, but give them a shot

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...u-cortana-not-working-fix-here-hopefully.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-e5a1-4e28-8444-83bd74a84bf7?tm=1438445987147

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...b56-992d-4142-ab6c-1051c2db4006?page=6&auth=1

How to install Windows 10 via USB or DVD | TechRadar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium