Why does every app after exiting run in background in Windows 10 mobile?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: why every app after exiting run in background in windows 10 mobile

There is a major misconception from the Windows XP-time that free RAM is good... But it really isn't. Any modern OS (except Android) works better if your RAM is always allocated and it is meant to be used. Free RAM only means your OS isn't doing a very good job at tracking your usage and keeping commonly used files in memory.

Things in the background doesn't pull additional battery on Windows 10 Mobile if they don't have any task running (which most apps don't) which means you lose nothing from keeping them there. Quitting apps from the task manager actually makes your OS slower since the OS thinks you will not be using that data again and clears it which means you will do a "Cold reboot" of the app the next time you start it.

On the contrary, I find Android allows more suspended apps than on W10M. Look at both of the recent apps available on the app switcher. W10M only allows like 8 recent ones - regardless of how powerful the phone model is? Very often I find apps are just "lost" on the recent app list on W10M even though they are used only recently.

Video to support what I meant:
https://youtu.be/_AVsjBeUjrg?t=387

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Got more insight from this. Thanks. I usually use Task manager alot. Now I know better.

this is why if you notice with android it starts to run very slow over time, this is because it is unable to manage ram and apps to keep it running smoothly.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

On the contrary, I find Android allows more suspended apps than on W10M. Look at both of the recent apps available on the app switcher. W10M only allows like 8 recent ones - regardless of how powerful the phone model is? Very often I find apps are just "lost" on the recent app list on W10M even though they are used only recently.

Video to support what I meant:
https://youtu.be/_AVsjBeUjrg?t=387

you will notice with android as I have just mentioned above that over time the system gets very slow and yes buggy and apps run poorly, that is because android is simply bad at ram management and app management and background management.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

you will notice with android as I have just mentioned above that over time the system gets very slow and yes buggy and apps run poorly, that is because android is simply bad at ram management and app management and background management.

Well, I knew someone will disagree with this. But I have yet to experience any slowdowns or whatsoever on my Nexus 7 running Android 6.0. Neither on my a year old Note 4. I don't clear recent tasks like some do. I think the days of bad memory management of Android are already old stories. On the other hand, MS should make W10M more robust - at least to be on par with Android.

I know is not ideal for me to talk about Android in a W10M forum. But since we are on the topic, I guess is fine for me to express my experiences between Android and W10M. Android is not as bad as what others used to say. Windows phone came a long way, so does Android. Both platforms are improving over the years. But IMHO, W10M has a long way to go before it can goes head-to-head with Android.

Last edited:

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The apps run in the background to make it easier for you to open them again, for example if you check the weather with Weather Bug and
later you want to check it again later, you can back arrow and open it. This is not new for Windows 10, I have a Windows 7 phone and they run in the background on that phone too. The only difference for Windows 7 I had to reboot the phone to get rid of the background apps Windows 8.1 the background apps can be closed by using the back arrow.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The apps run in the background to make it easier for you to open them again, for example if you check the weather with Weather Bug and
later you want to check it again later, you can back arrow and open it. This is not new for Windows 10, I have a Windows 7 phone and they run in the background on that phone too. The only difference for Windows 7 I had to reboot the phone to get rid of the background apps Windows 8.1 the background apps can be closed by using the back arrow.

There's actually quite a bit of difference between background management in Windows Phone 7 and Windows 10 Mobile that's not immediately obvious but it's definitely there. In Windows Phone 7, 8, and 8.1, applications closed automatically when you backed out of them, and only were suspended when you returned to the Start Screen. In Windows 10 Mobile, any application that's been properly coded will stay suspended in the background regardless of how you back out of it (unless you manually terminate the application from Task View). This is actually a significant change and makes Windows 10 Mobile more robust and consistent with background management. It also sets up a more reliable foundation for future features like full background downloading, etcetera.

For those of you who have been talking about the differences between Android and Windows 10 Mobile, I actually like where Windows 10 Mobile is here. It's reliable and consistent. With Android, I often find that you do have to go in and clear out everything every now and then, because having so many applications vying for a limited amount of RAM does cause slow down and eventually your suspended applications stop acting like suspended applications. Windows 10 Mobile copes with this by setting a limit. I do wish that this limit was increased with devices that have more RAM, however. If 1 GB of RAM can reliably handle 5 open applications, then 2 GB of RAM should be able to handle 8-10, and 3 GB of RAM should be able to handle 12-15.

nareshkumarcool

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
to check how many app my phone can handle,so first i started a music song,then open apps one by one,after opening 9 th app,music stopped,so can i say all 8 apps suspended in ram.one more question,how wm10 os cant consume battery for the suspended app in ram

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
It seems to me that if I have too many apps in the background the phone quits working properly.

Every so often I go to check for updates and sometimes when I click " Update " I get just a highlight bar and it freezes up and nothing happens.

I have to go in and kill some of the pages that are in the background and then it runs ok again.

And I have a 64 GB mem expansion card so it isn't out of memory ... or I would think it wasn't.

Most of the time having apps in the background works ok but sometimes ... not so much.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It seems to me that if I have too many apps in the background the phone quits working properly.

Every so often I go to check for updates and sometimes when I click " Update " I get just a highlight bar and it freezes up and nothing happens.

I have to go in and kill some of the pages that are in the background and then it runs ok again.

And I have a 64 GB mem expansion card so it isn't out of memory ... or I would think it wasn't.

Most of the time having apps in the background works ok but sometimes ... not so much.

The amount of internal memory isn't the issue whatsoever. What's likely happening is some of the applications you have in the background haven't been coded properly and aren't suspended in the background, meaning they're acting like they're running and taking CPU power. This will also lead to greater battery drain.

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site

There is a bug in latest w10m build that causes this issue .

nareshkumarcool

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

so is there any way i can know this app is built for wm10?any site or any trick in store i missed?

Kartik 10

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site

So this is a possible reason for why 512 MB RAM devices dint work properly with W10M

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Even after suspension of an App , that still keep running in the background

If you want to check this bug out, you can try it on your phone now. Below are the steps :

1) Go to Store
2) Download any app
3) Leave the download in background and exit to home screen
4) Then after few seconds go back into the Store and check your download.

If the downloads, starts after you open the Store App again, then there is no bug, because the actual bug in Windows Mobile 10 is that even downloads are suspended when you exit to home screen or your phone screen goes to sleep mode.

I experience this on my L1520 on WM10.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

so is there any way i can know this app is built for wm10?any site or any trick in store i missed?

I don't think there's a way to tell which app is built for Win10 or not at the store. Well, except there's a post here saying so for such app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss