Win 10 Mobile OS vs Firmware, and how updates will be delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok I have a question. I've heard this somewhere, I didn't think much of it, but now that we're talkin' firmware - I have to know.

Is it possible to update from 8.1 Cyan to Win10M, and not get Denim? Are firmware and OS updates totaly separated and you can always get the latest of each, OR if you 'miss the schedule' you need to do rollbacks and do it right?
I'm not sure if I had Denim on my 1520 when I updated to Win10M and I also did lots of hard resets, rollbacks and whatnot so who knows what's going on in there.
Also, if it's possible, would there be a possibility to fix it with future updates?
To put it the other way, if my Win10M phone says I'm totally up-to-date, does that mean I have Denim (the latest firmware available for it)?

All I know is, my camera sucks, and so do some other parts of the phone. Nothing I can't live without, but it could be better, and I feel it could have something to do with the firmware.

Eric Gisin

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Firmware in a phone is like the BIOS in a Laptop or Desktop PC.
WinMobile device firmware is nothing like the BIOS. On PCs, the BIOS is only used to boot and has little device support. UEFI is used on 64-bit and provides more functions.
I strongly suspect Firmware is UEFI, plus the code for Radio, GPU, and MPEG processors.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
That's the idea. However, I don't think people will stop asking questions about it right away. The main idea here is for users who know about this thread be able to link to the appropriate "FAQ" item above in order to answer some of those questions raging around the forums. It's a good way to give an accurate answer without having to rehash and argue over it for 6 pages of forum threads.

Well... The shark has been jumped. Same questions and misleading answers. Too bad it couldn't have been a locked thread with the most popular FAQ throughout the forum answered in this topic. Soon, it'll be 11pages of the same. Mods, is it possible for the above to happen? A true instructional/educational post with no community feedback, only the most common questions answered.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Easiest answer, just wait till your phone has an update, whether its unlocked or carrier branded. If people were more patient none of the drama surrounding updates would exist.

nachin_007

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
As of the N0ki4N request of locking the thread, I'm bound to ask: may I ask a couple of questions here, or should I ask them in (an)other thread(s)?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
As of the N0ki4N request of locking the thread, I'm bound to ask: may I ask a couple of questions here, or should I ask them in (an)other thread(s)?

Let me discuss this with some other Ambassadors and Moderators and we'll decide how it should proceed. I will "temporarily" close the thread to prevent further clutter and we'll decide how new faqs should be added and how questions should be submitted. It would be great to have a "clean" place to refer people to.

Give me about 36 hours, and I'll start working on at least one more FAQ, and perhaps answer this question by that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion