Why I'm happy I put windows 10 on my phone

missylob

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
First, if there's already another thread about this, please move this. I've had denim 8.1 on my 1520 till yesterday. I haven't had any interest in upgrading my phone because of all the negativity I've seen on here about 10 but my Xbox music app quit working in the beginning of December & I haven't found an app that I liked to play my music or that would sync with Bluetooth so I decided to take the plunge just so could use default music app again. The upgrade took bout an hr & half, I did a soft reset right off the bat, woulda done a hard reset but honestly couldnt find the hard reset at that point 😉 Im sure there is problems that people have with windows 10, but in the 24 hrs I've had on my phone, I haven't had any issues & love it!! My phone is like a brand new phone & the issues people seem to have with Edge, I dont seem to have. Takes less than a second to switch between pages. There are little things that are kinda annoying but that's only because their different than denim but definitely not deal breakers. My phone is 2 years old & on second battery but so far runs better on 10 than did on 8.1. I was having random reboots on 8.1, I dont have that now. So anybody that is scared to try 10, I just want to say, form your own opinion, try it and see for yourself how great windows 10 really is! ☺

missylob

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Do u mind telling me how long you've had 10 on your phone? I'm so glad to hear there's at least one other person enjoying & happy with it! It's nice to have a forum that can ask questions & get help when need but the amount of negativity surrounding 10 scares the normal, not really sure what your doing when comes to software people away from it on this forum. It's too bad had to be like that, so really appreciate your positivity!

maydar

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Please tell me if Motion data works on Your 1520 with W10? I got 1520 with 10586.36, but for me it doesn't work and apps like Fitbit, Microsoft Health, etc. are useless. This is one of major bugs. I noticed also that for stereo sound in video recording must be selected the highest resolution otherwise sound records only mono. Next Microsoft Photos app doesn't see my photos in custom folders - only in Camera Roll and Saved Pictures.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I 've been running '10' for about a month on my Lumia 535.
I started with .29 and then upgraded to .36.
I'd been quite sceptical about it, as I had been installing the builds previously on a Lumia 625 and wan't overly impressed with the performance.
I couldn't last any longer than a couple of weeks with 10 on the Lumia 625 before rolling back to 8.1 (which performed fine), as it would be slow and buggy.

missylob

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Please tell me if Motion data works on Your 1520 with W10? I got 1520 with 10586.36, but for me it doesn't work and apps like Fitbit, Microsoft Health, etc. are useless. This is one of major bugs. I noticed also that for stereo sound in video recording must be selected the highest resolution otherwise sound records only mono. Next Microsoft Photos app doesn't see my photos in custom folders - only in Camera Roll and Saved Pictures.

Hi maydar, I dont have Fitbit but will check on my phone the things you mentioned and get back to you regarding if they work or not. ☺

missylob

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi maydar, I dont have Fitbit but will check on my phone the things you mentioned and get back to you regarding if they work or not. ☺

I just checked what version got installed & Im on .29 yet so am behind the rest of you guys here. Motion works tho, haven't checked on camera thing yet tho.
I've never had an update that was as smooth as this one or made my phone run so smooth,makes me a little nervous to download the next updates! Lol! I actually have much better battery life now even, my old phone acts & looks like a brand new one with a suped up operating system on build 29! Once have a chance I'll check the camera folders for you also.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had denim 8.1 on my 1520 till yesterday.

My brother did the upgrade on his 1520 a month or two ago and happy with the change, said the same thing, it's like new phone, fresh air.

I've transitioned my mom, my brother in law (both lumia 640s), getting my wife ready to switch, I have lots of confidence in w10 being ok for most people.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Do u mind telling me how long you've had 10 on your phone? I'm so glad to hear there's at least one other person enjoying & happy with it! It's nice to have a forum that can ask questions & get help when need but the amount of negativity surrounding 10 scares the normal, not really sure what your doing when comes to software people away from it on this forum. It's too bad had to be like that, so really appreciate your positivity!

Well, I agree! I am currently on W10M v x.36 which is running on my 640XL and it has been - particularly on this build - excellent. I use it as my daily driver. I find W10M to be aesthetically more pleasing than 8.1. It has also seemed to breathe new life into my 640XL enough to the extent that I deferred my purchase of the 950XL. I have two generic issues with W10M though but which I think will be dealt with, as the cynics put, "soon"!

One is that I notice that battery life on the current build of W10M is not as good as it was in 8.1.2. Of course, this is a beta preview (at least that is how I consider it) and I think MS will further optimize the OS. Also, the 640XL has not yet had a firmware update (if it is indeed necessary) to tune it to W10M.

Second, is that I think there are some glaring inconsistencies within the OS from a user's point of view. For example, I can understand the need for hamburger menus. But either such menus - in a mobile (as distinct from a web and a tablet) context - should be in the lower quadrants of the device or, if they are higher up on the screen, they should be supplemented with swiping actions to unveil what the hamburger menus contain (I believe the latest version of Groove does this). Such a behaviour I think should be across the OS and its core apps.

Third, I wish W10M - and this is specifically referring to Dual SIM phones - had ways by which a user can manage each SIM. By manage I mean, for example, having different ring tones for each of the SIMs that can be set up by the user. Also, the ability to keep one SIM on silent mode while keeping the other operating as normal would be helpful - stuff like that!

Aside from such things, my experience of W10M has been very good and I am looking forward to more stable versions.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've been testing it for ages. I had it on my Lumia 520 since the beginning until the Lumia 520 essentially died (hardware touch screen issues that would cost more to repair than three Lumia 520's are worth) then put it on my Lumia 830. I'm going to test it on a Lumia 640 I have as soon as Redstone builds start to be released, and I also have it on two other Lumia 635's and haven't heard of any issues with those. I put it on my Uncle's Lumia 640 a few days ago and unfortunately that was the worst update experience I've ever had with a phone but other than that I've not had any issues whatsoever after months with Windows 10 Mobile on multiple devices (well I have but nothing I couldn't handle). I've been loving it.

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Updated my 640 almost immediately after getting the phone - and love Win10 on the phone. It works nicely with my Win10 tablet.

Is it perfect? No. But it's not bad at all. Battery life is decent (2 days versus 6 hours on my BB Z10) and it talks as well as the BB did, and it has good LTE speeds... it just works...

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You should try 8.1 it's so much smoother and in most cases faster launching pretty much every app, my l930 is slower with 10 than my pants moto g (See my full test) yet 8.1 is far faster. The reason I use windows phone is the speed and fluidity.

maydar

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I just checked what version got installed & Im on .29 yet so am behind the rest of you guys here. Motion works tho, haven't checked on camera thing yet tho.
I've never had an update that was as smooth as this one or made my phone run so smooth,makes me a little nervous to download the next updates! Lol! I actually have much better battery life now even, my old phone acts & looks like a brand new one with a suped up operating system on build 29! Once have a chance I'll check the camera folders for you also.

Thanks, about motion data I was read other topic and it seems I must do hard reset to get it working.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Its been a couple of weeks now and I've had no issues on my L930.
I've got the same build on my L920 and that's a completely different story.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05