Want to help dogfood? Please enable coauth...

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Want to help dogfood? Please enable coauth by clicking the "Enable" button (restart required)

This message is showing in my Excel banner while I am using Continuum today, could have been there before and I am just noticing.

Is this just another way of asking for user feedback?
Has anyone enabled? Did it hinder performance? (Worse than it already is)

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've been seeing the same thing on my 950 (not using Continuum) for the past day or two. I am not going to click on Enable. It almost seems, to my cynical mind, to be a test (by whom?) to see how easily a user would initiate a weird (possibly harmful) step. BTW, I Binged the phrase and the only hit was to your post. Maybe the last Excel update included some "non-production" code . . .

update: I found the following @ microsoft. It turns out not to be sinister, but interesting:
Help us test drive co-authoring in Excel Mobile - Microsoft Community

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
"dogfood" is a common term in software development, meaning that the developers are using their own code in day to day work, that is, "eating their own dogfood." You wouldn't want to buy something the people who made it didn't like to use, would you?

Typically, the internal production systems at Microsoft are running a new version of OS or other software long before the public can get it. For example, their web infrastructure was fully deployed on Windows Server 2012 R2 several months before it was commercially available.

It sounds like a lot of fun to work at Microsoft.

Why the term "dogfood" was seen by normal people outside of Microsoft, probably they forgot to edit the message after internal testing was done.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
"dogfood" is a common term in software development, meaning that the developers are using their own code in day to day work, that is, "eating their own dogfood." You wouldn't want to buy something the people who made it didn't like to use, would you?

Typically, the internal production systems at Microsoft are running a new version of OS or other software long before the public can get it. For example, their web infrastructure was fully deployed on Windows Server 2012 R2 several months before it was commercially available.

It sounds like a lot of fun to work at Microsoft.

Why the term "dogfood" was seen by normal people outside of Microsoft, probably they forgot to edit the message after internal testing was done.

This was the same information I saw.
I don't think they forgot to edit "dogfood". More like someone was trying to be clever in catching my interest.
I would have been more happy with a "more info" button vs "enable" something I know nothing about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786