Find out if an app is Universal.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading about fellow posters asking how to find out if an app is Universal. So decided to post this to help everyone differentiate.

Below is the query posted by one of the users

question.PNG

In the app store, you just need to check at the screenshot section for any app and if they have listed screenshot for PC and Mobile, then the app is universal. Below are the screenshots for the same (I have highlighted the feature with a rectangle).

Desktop - Non Universal App : Only PC is listed below the app screenshot in the store.

NonUniversal.PNG

Desktop - Universal App : PC and Mobile are listed below the app screenshot in the store.
Universal.PNG

Mobile - Non Universal App
: Only Mobile is listed with the app screenshot in the store.
wp_ss_20160107_0002.jpg

Mobile - Universal App : Mobile and PC are listed with the app screenshot in the store.
wp_ss_20160107_0001.jpg

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually it would be nice if MS provided a category, particularly in the mobile store, for UWP apps so that it is easier to find apps that can be used with Continuum.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually it would be nice if MS provided a category, particularly in the mobile store, for UWP apps so that it is easier to find apps that can be used with Continuum.

Yes I agree. They can also provide a search criteria for UWP.
I don't work for Microsoft. So providing a solution for my fellow users.

mbrooks78

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
It's really a matter of whether it in a win 8.* app or a windows 10 app. All windows 10 apps are universal. Its just a matter of whether or not the developer enabled it or optimized for only PC or mobile. I think Continuum support requires some additional coding on top of standard universal format.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android because I am unfortunately with Sprint

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Unfortunately, the PC/Mobile designation in the store is not nearly enough information, as both W8.1/WP8.1-style 'universal' apps and W10 UWP apps show both, and there is good reason to want to know about UWP apps specifically (like, for example, to use with Continuum).

The best way to tell is only after you download the app on the PC- W8.1 apps have the legacy hamburger menu in the top left of the title bar to use the charms from and W10 UWP apps do not. But as mentioned, this all should be visible to users in the Store before they download or purchase the app. Of course, it's also not in Microsoft's best interests for people to see the small number of UWP apps until that number is impressive enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3