Best Browser for Windows 10?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: My New Favourite Browser

I like the "as much as i hate Google i have to give them credit..." :)
As much as I hated my job I had to give it credit for allowing me to live comfortably :smile:

I don't like any browser that much...
Since I blocked all the crap with the .sys32 host file edit EDGE is easier for me to use.
Firefox Nightly is good also and allows for blocking most garbage that no one cares about.
Safari...meh
Opera...OK
Chrome...I have to use it for chromecast streaming other than that it's OK and speedy.

I also use an altered HOSTS file to block out all those IPs for ad servers. All those ads do not get displayed nor gets accessed. Edge experience is on par with Chrome. But still no add-ons.

EDIT: some of the links you click on will not work since they are generated with click-ad links that then redirects you the content you were linked to. Example, you clicked a link to download an app that was mentioned. Clicking the link will first take you to the ad for a split second or open then closes the ad window, then redirects you to the app webpage. If the ad cannot be served, the browser will give you an error because the ad gets resolved first. Or something like that.....so beware.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

I like the "as much as i hate Google i have to give them credit..." :)
As much as I hated my job I had to give it credit for allowing me to live comfortably :smile:

I don't like any browser that much...
Since I blocked all the crap with the .sys32 host file edit EDGE is easier for me to use.
Firefox Nightly is good also and allows for blocking most garbage that no one cares about.
Safari...meh
Opera...OK
Chrome...I have to use it for chromecast streaming other than that it's OK and speedy.

I kind of get where you were going with the first paragraph but your analogy doesnt make much sense to me. It's not like Google is my employer. As an end user, as someone who uses their products arent i allowed to like/dislike/hate whatever i want from them? Let me try to explain then. I don't like how they refuse to put any of their apps on WP but MS seems to be friendly with them and put their apps on Googles/IOS platform. I hate them as a company for many reasons but i do acknowledge they make great products and software. Saying that everything they make sucks would just be blind hate for no reason at all.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

It's not like Google is my employer.

Touche!
I was trying to be slightly humorous there.

The hate game gets a bit tiresome in my opinion.
Leaving things here I'll slip away staying out of platform politics.

Good thread by the way.
I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Edge.. Lol...

Gee . Wonder what speed this file is downloading at. Who knows! keep guessing.

And we're in 2016..

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

I like Edge. It opens up fast, works great with touch, and I've only had one website issue up till now. I've been using it since Windows 10 launched.

That's not to say I don't miss some features from other browsers, like adblock, or a better favorites organizer. I don't feel the need to abandon Edge due to these missing features yet.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I like Edge. It opens up fast, works great with touch, and I've only had one website issue up till now. I've been using it since Windows 10 launched.

That's not to say I don't miss some features from other browsers, like adblock, or a better favorites organizer. I don't feel the need to abandon Edge due to these missing features yet.

Works great with touch? What?

Have you tried using edge on a tablet?? They need a better version of edge for touch.. The same way they had metro IE...

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Works great with touch? What?

Have you tried using edge on a tablet?? They need a better version of edge for touch.. The same way they had metro IE...
Yes I have used Edge on a tablet. It works great except for the fact that swiping to go forward or backward is not possible yet. It surely handles touch better than Chrome does.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

Edge is fast which is fine if you want a basic browser, but it needs to do more for me to use it full-time.....a good start though.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Can u tell me more about this thing? Is there a guide posted somewhere? Thanks :)

On that topic... I like Edge just because it is something new, and bookmarks sync nicely with my phone's Edge. It doesn't seem too slow to me, and i like editing with pen. The only problem is an occasional freeze of the whole SP4 because of Edge. But it is much better since the last update.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Yes I have used Edge on a tablet. It works great except for the fact that swiping to go forward or backward is not possible yet. It surely handles touch better than Chrome does.

I stopped using Edge in November sort of for the same reason as the main user but on an ecosystem level. I got impatient waiting on Windows 10 to be ready for normal use. As I was due for a phone upgrade, I went with an Android. I just wanted to sync my favorites/bookmarks originally. When that became impossible, and I felt like I was pouring hours into just trying to make something work so that I could keep using Edge; I switched to Chrome for the simplicity of favorites and browsing history syncing.

In addition swipe gestures for back and forward, the gestures for dragging tabs work better in chrome. Pinch to zoom and scrolling works in both. Not sure what other touch gestures I should be looking at. I think that would mean 50% of the touch gestures I know about work on Chrome but not Edge.

More important things that I like are being able to fill out form data and of course the extensions. I just got a new NAS, and I can manage it with extensions in Chrome, but not Edge. So if there is something online I'd like to download directly to my NAS, I can do it in chrome. If I want to do it in Edge, I either have to download it to my computer then upload it or copy the target, then open the NAS online and paste it into the download extension that way...so its possible but a pain.

The form data is nice and syncs to all my devices. When I was on Edge, I never saw the ability to do this on my phone. I really don't remember it in the browser on my PC either. An example of how this was useful, last month I was entering a web contest everyday that I had to enter my name and address on. In Chrome, it took 1 click. In Edge, I had to type every piece of information.

I was super hesitant of switching to Chrome, and if I didn't get an Android phone, I would have probably not switched. Heck, even on my Linux machine, I was running FireFox instead of Chrome because I was so anti-google (I probably would have run Lynx before I ran Chrome before).

Matt Dargis

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

If Edge ever get s an add blocker I'll start using it again. Edge on w10m though is awful. It's so damn slow, pages sometimes take a minute to load completely, and is full of adds as well.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

You don't have to tell me "******" how great Edge is. You have to spend a little time training it as well as training on it. It is that diamond in the rough.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

You don't have to tell me "******" how great Edge is. You have to spend a little time training it as well as training on it. It is that diamond in the rough.

Steinge! I was wond
Wheyou were goingto cout of the l!

Typed thion edge for my Surface pro 22!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I guess there's a new saying in town "chrome or go home".

Yah it's much better in redstone build so far. But I just can't give up on lack of plugins.

I should say that the twitter app at the store is actually pretty good. I would give it a try. It's still not completely finished and will roll out more features but I have been using it and it's fine. There's also some amazing 3rd party apps with so many features they will make your sphincter pucker up. Tweet It!, Fenice for Twitter, etc..

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Now i am back on my main PC in Chrome. I wanted to see what my post would come out like if i just typed exactly what i wanted without going back and fixing it. That shows you right there how bad Edge is on this website. I EVEN typed nice and slow giving Edge a chance to catch up on the key strokes and made sure i spelled everything correctly. And still the result was:

Steinge! I was wond

It would have taken me 5+ minutes just to type a couple sentences if i went back and fixed everything. Now that i am on Chrome on PC i will fix it. What i was trying to say was this:

Stringer! I was wondering when you were going to come out of the lurch!

Typed this on edge for my Surface Pro 2!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Now i am back on my main PC in Chrome. I wanted to see what my post would come out like if i just typed exactly what i wanted without going back and fixing it. That shows you right there how bad Edge is on this website. I EVEN typed nice and slow giving Edge a chance to catch up on the key strokes and made sure i spelled everything correctly. And still the result was:

Steinge! I was wond

It would have taken me 5+ minutes just to type a couple sentences if i went back and fixed everything. Now that i am on Chrome on PC i will fix it. What i was trying to say was this:

Stringer! I was wondering when you were going to come out of the lurch!

Typed this on edge for my Surface Pro 2!

Doesn't seem like you did anything with your hosts file but let me ask, have you?

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

try this to solve the missing keystrokes on this forum. near the top right of the forum page there is a magenta "Tip Us On News" box with a black X. click the X and hide the ads. That's what fixed it for me.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

try this to solve the missing keystrokes on this forum. near the top right of the forum page there is a magenta "Tip Us On News" box with a black X. click the X and hide the ads. That's what fixed it for me.

Thanks ill try that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99