Best Browser for Windows 10?

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: My New Favourite Browser

I gave up on Edge for the same reasons, but also...
I use two printers. One for invoices and a shipping label printer. Edge is rather poor with printing and doesn't care anything about the defaults set in the print drivers.
No matter which printer you use first, the page size carries over to the other printer. So I print 8.5"x11" on the inkjet, then when I print the shipping label I have to go into the selections in Edge to re-select 6"x5" for the label. Or vice versa.
At least IE11 looks at the default paper size.

On my phone Edge is so frustrating. Especially when it won't play HTML5 video. Which Microsoft main proponent for.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by cracgor
Originally Posted by Sagar Limaye
Yes I have used Edge on a tablet. It works great except for the fact that swiping to go forward or backward is not possible yet. It surely handles touch better than Chrome does.

In addition swipe gestures for back and forward, the gestures for dragging tabs work better in chrome. Pinch to zoom and scrolling works in both. Not sure what other touch gestures I should be looking at. I think that would mean 50% of the touch gestures I know about work on Chrome but not Edge.
Both browsers can do basic touch gestures. However, IMO, touch is much smoother and more intuitive in Edge. Buttons and options are well spaced out. Scrolling a page is more fluid than Chrome. I remember once Chrome was crashing every time I used it with touch. Idk if they fixed it now, but I really prefer to use Edge with touch over Chrome. It just feels right.
More important things that I like are being able to fill out form data and of course the extensions. I just got a new NAS, and I can manage it with extensions in Chrome, but not Edge. So if there is something online I'd like to download directly to my NAS, I can do it in chrome. If I want to do it in Edge, I either have to download it to my computer then upload it or copy the target, then open the NAS online and paste it into the download extension that way...so its possible but a pain.
I don't really use extensions that much, so I don't miss extension support in Edge. I just want AdBlock, that's it.

I was super hesitant of switching to Chrome, and if I didn't get an Android phone, I would have probably not switched. Heck, even on my Linux machine, I was running FireFox instead of Chrome because I was so anti-google (I probably would have run Lynx before I ran Chrome before).
Ah, on Linux, I much prefer Chrome. Firefox is? bad.

Last edited:

codemasterblackperl

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site

I have no love for either Edge, Firefox or Chrome.

I found problems in all these browsers.

Chrome wont display some elements when I tried to use netbanking or online payment. So for those purposes I have to use Edge. but Edge is very slow on some websites.

So this is what I mostly do.

Edge: Online banking, outlook
Chrome: Gmail, Facebook, Youtube, Forums
Firefox: Download things, browse through non https sites

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I have no love for either Edge, Firefox or Chrome.

I found problems in all these browsers.

Chrome wont display some elements when I tried to use netbanking or online payment. So for those purposes I have to use Edge. but Edge is very slow on some websites.

So this is what I mostly do.

Edge: Online banking, outlook
Chrome: Gmail, Facebook, Youtube, Forums
Firefox: Download things, browse through non https sites

Say what? Man, how does that look surfing the net?
doctors-operating-room.jpg

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I try Edge, but without a few key extensions, I can't use use it for a lot.

My goto browser is Firefox, with LastPass and NoScript.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

If Edge ever get s an add blocker I'll start using it again. Edge on w10m though is awful. It's so damn slow, pages sometimes take a minute to load completely, and is full of adds as well.

But it's better than IE on WP8.1.....

William Bergmann

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

I always tell people in threads like this...

Check out Vivaldi. it's the old Opera team developing a Chrome fork. The only thing it's really lacking at this point is profile syncing.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I always tell people in threads like this...

Check out Vivaldi. it's the old Opera team developing a Chrome fork. The only thing it's really lacking at this point is profile syncing.

Ughhhh! As a long-time Opera fan, I tried out that browser, but could never get past the butt-ugliness of it. I'm still rocking the old pre-Chrome-Sellout Opera, and it still beats everything else in town.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

As a long-time Opera fan, I tried out that browser, but could never get past the butt-ugliness of it.

Me too. I used Opera for years as my go to browser, but then they decided to change the rendering engine and lose all the good bit's they invented over the years :unhappy: Tried Vivaldi ages ago, but wasn't really impressed, so i use FF now.

eddlang

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I am a Microsoft ******

Just one thing though. You do NOT want to call yourself a "******". Have you looked up what that word means.

It means: "a fan of a certain thing who is utterly stupid and completely lacks logic and reason."

The word that you want to use is simply "fan".

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

The new browser on Windows mobile 10 is blistering fast on the 640 XL, thats saying a lot.

anon(62000)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Touche!
I was trying to be slightly humorous there.

The hate game gets a bit tiresome in my opinion.
Leaving things here I'll slip away staying out of platform politics.

Good thread by the way.
I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

HA!!! "Platform Politics." Given the similarities today, it's the perfect term.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Edge without a hosts adblocking file is terrible, but really so is the Internet. Even Firefox and Chrome are slow with ads.

Get a hosts file from somewhere like this Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File

All browsers benefit from a much faster Internet. All without a plugin.

To me, Edge is now finally faster than IE in the latest cumulative update. But getting extensions support is required to make it a modern browser.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

YVMV, in fact, they do. Edge on a desktop for me is clean and fast and bright. The only big, and I mean BIG negative is that you can't use ad-ons or plug-ins, at least not during the long now of Microsoft. On my phone, OTOH, I still have intermittent rendering issues, and often the font is stubbornly tiny. I have also noticed that since using Edge, I haven't had nearly as many pop-ups, malware, etc. Maybe a once or twice a week I will come across a sight where Edge causes some issue, such as snot allowing me to upload a necessary file, etc. So I simply launch either Firefox, Chrome or even old IE and get it done. Regardless of which alternate browser I've chosen in those instances, I experience no sense of nostalgia for them, and revert to Edge. It just looks better and loads faster.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Just one thing though. You do NOT want to call yourself a "******". Have you looked up what that word means.

It means: "a fan of a certain thing who is utterly stupid and completely lacks logic and reason."

The word that you want to use is simply "fan".

no i never looked it up but im sure people know what i meant. As in die-hard fan. So if that's the real definition according to?...well doesn't matter, im not that.

I am a die-hard-head-first-dive-in-have-all-their-products-windows-10-fan

that better?

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I agree with you very much. The Edge team seems incompetent and slow. I do not know what is the problem, but I often feel there is not a single ounce of creativity and imagination in that team. It took them about a year to add a jump list. And that was the least of its problems.

It was a huge mistake making this the default browser. They burned this opportunity to change their reputation for creating broken browsers.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Until they don't update edge using the store no OS. This will happen other browsers will have updates more frequently.

tofferne

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

Maybe I?m a little bit stupid, but why does Microsoft not change it and make the browser working perfect - how long time can it take. What are the waiting for.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

i agree with you very much. The edge team seems incompetent and slow. I do not know what is the problem, but i often feel there is not a single ounce of creativity and imagination in that team. It took them about a year to add a jump list. And that was the least of its problems.

It was a huge mistake making this the default browser. They burned this opportunity to change their reputation for creating broken browsers.

exactly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786