W10Mobile: Should MSFT change the strategy and make the UI experience closer to the other two OS?s?

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I mean, we saw that the strategy of ?being totally different? doesn?t work when it comes about adopting of new experience. At least, at wider target. So should Microsoft change that approach? For example, should they introduce dock icons, grid drawer and maybe to replace the smallest tiles with original icons? (mean with their original colors?).
They did it with W8, mean, they went back to the experience that people are used to it, so why they should not do it with W10 mobile? (sorry about my bad English)

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
And forgot to mention. Also, maybe some design guidelines for the apps should be changed. For example I'm using Telegram on iOS and W10M . I don't have prob with functionality of the app on W10M but I have problem with the design. Everything is 2big. When keyboard pop up's I can barely see 2-3 lines of the chat, which is different within the app on the iOS.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I think they don't really need to make their OS looks like others but they do need keep adding new features that can be sensible by users. From 8.0 to 8.1.1(build 341), the sensible UX change are only tile folder/notification center/screen rotation lock/cortana and these are really not much in the past three years. I mean, the OS couldn't be that prefect that nothing can be added on right? At current status the w10m really feels like a face-lift of wp8.1 plus UWP app and this not gonna attract much outsider into this pool.....they have to figure out something new.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I think WP 8 had an interesting UI. I think there were 2 reasons why it sucked: 1. The UI was not perfect in Design (too big, unintuitive) and 2. people are lazy and are creatures of habits. Either way many people, who understood the design language of WP 8 or got used to it, now miss the WP 8 design language. Mostly because of it's fresh look and different feeling. With W10M being more similar to the other 2 OS, I don't think a further similarity would be a good approach. W10M needs something special, that draws attention. If W10M looked like Android, would you buy an Android with all the Apps (and MS apps) or a W10M device without apps? And on Android you also have real hardware diversity to choose from.

But with the design guidelines you are definetly right. Many Apps just look ugly or dont feel right. I think it's a problem in Microsoft, that they somehow are not able to make a design which has more context (for example through smaller text) without increasing unnecessary blank space.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I think they should focus on making W10M reliable and responsive before making UI changes. After it's been stabilized I think they should then focus on making everything consistent. W10M has laughable design inconsistences that an elementary level UI designer could have caught and rectified. I feel that both WP7 and 8 were much more elegant and unified in appearance.

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The user interface--as well as my device's stubborn refusal to perform poorly despite its age--is precisely why I stick with WP over iOS or Android. I'm in the process of weaning myself off apps for which I have no real use, and conditioning myself to use the browser for as much as possible. At this stage of the game, I'm doing pretty well (using a Lumia 928 with WP10), but I'm not as socially connected as many others around here are. If MS chose to mimic what the other guys are doing UI-wise, then that's a certain last nail in the coffin for me, and I'll bet it would be for many others in this community.

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm not talking about you and me as a fans of the platform, but about wider target that are refusing to accept the platform. And you mentioned performance. Thats why I think that if MS offers similar UX (UI) they will come to the platform - because of the performance advantages that W10 has over Android. Or for example, on Android we have different aftermarket custom launchers. At least, maybe MS can offer 2 different "factory" launchers, where one of them will keep the current UI and the other can be more simplified - grid icons with dock.
They had this problem with W8 desktop. People didn't accepted and with W10 they went back to UI that people feel comfortable with it. I can choose to have and to use tiles. So why we can not have that in W10 mobile?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999