Windows 10 not ready for prime time WIFI is just not usable

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
This December I purchased an HP laptop with windows 10 preinstalled. Its part of my network which includes 4 laptops and 2 printers and 1 very old workstation. With the exception of the new HP, all the other equipment is running on Windows 7. Some of it runs through ethertalk and some run on WIFI.
There are zero problems with WIFI and internet connections and downloads on the older units. They are all properly firewalled, including the new HP.
I find the HP with windows 10 less than impressive, as a matter of fact the words I would like to use don't belong in a forum. Use your imagination. WIFI performance in Windows 10 is wretched and incompetent. Fixes offered online don't work. The basic problem is that Microsoft is pushing a defective product out on the market. There are uncountable complaints online about the WIFI and image bluriness. Despite having a network that can push itself to one gig, the pace at which the WIFI runs on the new HP is well below that. Even my aging seven year old Toshiba satellite with its outdated 32-bit architecture runs faster in WIFI and has no issues with blurry images.
When the Windows 10 laptop is wired through ethertalk, the internet works fine. When it runs on Window 10 WIFI it is like a dial up modem. Images in Google Chrome when running on WIFI are fuzzy, and never appear to fully download. So, as a result, my brand new laptop for me at least, is a useless Lemon, a wheelchock, a bookstand, maybe soon an expensive frisbie. Trying to go on youtube is not possible, the laptop just spools endlessly.
Thanks Microsoft for continuing to be the Yugo of the operating system world (debugging-what? I can't hear you). You should have stuck to windows 7. We can discuss it, the real thing I want to see is a viable fix from microsoft and not endless instructions about "settings." Let's get this serious problem fixed NOW.
Windows 10 is ready but you know how there are so many different configurations a PC could have, you can't really say it's Microsoft's fault for that one driver not to work properly. You're just unlucky. Have you tried to call HP about it?

anon(185988)

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I've had Wi-Fi issues under W10 with my desktop as well, but I can't be 100% certain until I test every available option. Sadly, don't have the time these days. My tablet had issues as well, but it seems that a driver update fixed that.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I have had very little wifi issues if at all. If you upgraded from older OS, there are different drivers you can use - MS, chipset manufacturer (Qualcom, Realtek, Intel, NVidia, AMD,...etc), or computer manufacturer (HP, DELL, Sony, ASUS, ...etc).

You can try wifi with no encryption. Possible the new drivers don't like wifi encryption.

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Wi-Fi is the one area I've had problems with W10, which I've installed on a wide range of devices. On two HP Stream 7's, which were W10 ready, Wi-Fi will stop working when it wakes up, and it will show the router (and all the others nearby) as not being available, although it plainly is, requiring a reboot. On two HP 15p laptops, the Wi-Fi connection repeatedly reports "Ni Internet connection" - and has to be reset by switching off Wi-Fi and on again. Similar experience on an Acer machine.

Manfred Pohler

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Running on Acer, Schenker XMG, Surface Pro 3, and a Medion (Discounter PC) without any WiFi problems at all.
I don't use HP for years due to driver problems we had with several HP devices before.
The only HW / driver problems I had so far with W10 were two.
Two ore three times "Display driver stopped had to be restarted" on my Surface Pro 3 - stopped with the on of the later updates.
And sometimes my Surface Mouse stops to respond - stop / stop BT fixes this. It's a bit annoying nothing more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos