Microsoft is replacing my Lumia 1520 for a 950XL

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It would be silly to hope for 1520 and not go for 950XL. Even though it may not be nicer looking or like 1520, it surely is more future proof than 1520 is. If you are planning to stick with WP for say another 24-30 months, 950XL hardware is good enough. 1520, is out of date for that sort of time. Accept it with a smile, you will love 950XL. I do.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you're stuck.

I too would much rather have a 1520. I bought 2 950XLs and returned them both and continue to use my 1520.3. If they can't fix your 1520 you might as well take the 950XL and sell it unopened and buy two 1520s; one for the future in case MS never does get their act together and release anything better than the 1520.

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
{Insert standard description here - Long time user...blah blah blah}

Was on the pre order for the 950 and the XL. So, got both on day 1 of availability. I was OK with the XL. Wife never cared for the 950. From the start she had problems. Sound was horrible, touch screen flaky, audio cutting in and out. We replaced the device, and nothing changed. On the second replacement, returning the device took 6 weeks because of USPS and weather. AT&T charged us full price for a phone that simply does not work. Then our daughter got married and the camera crashed during the ceremony...yes, we had other photo takers...but, this was the last straw. wife turned to me and said...this needs to go away.

We are both fully invested in MS. O365, both have Surface devices, Onedrive, Groove, XBOX, and all the other offered Services. So my wife got the iPhone 6s. She has not looked back. She uses the MS services and only knows she's not on a Windows Phone when the touch screen never stops working, the camera doesn't crash and the audio plays perfectly every time.

Now I am not an apple ******. I own the xl, the 1520, M8, 920, 900, Venue Pro and at least 1 other Top Line windows phone from every release, ever, by MS. I also own the same with Android phones, having jumped on the initial Nexus and the subsequent NOTE line. I have had a couple of iPhones.

The bottom line is this, I am tired of fighting it. Every release has something new to punch me in the stomach. I think the xl is cool. but so is the iPhone and the NOTE. I love being able to reach my office, my pic, my toys with SErvices. but I can do that on any phone now. My 2 favorite phones were the Venue Pro and the 1520. But, I can't do this any longer. I will buy the next great windows phone that comes out...if it comes out. But I no longer will be my trust in it blindly. There are too many other options, that just work. Satya has made it possible for me to use all my Microsoft services, on any device. I've taken him up on it. The experience is good...I am not unhappy.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
For me double-tap to wake IS indeed a very important feature that i will be missing :/
Also I just found out online, the Super-sensitive Touch is gone in the Lumia 950 and 950XL? Cant use gloves or a pencil with my screen anymore? Unbelievable :/

This way upgrading from a 1520 feels more like losing features rather than improving. I won't be using Continuum anyway.

The "super sensitive" touch on my 1520 just pissed me off to no end, I'm glad its not there on my 950xl.

Even on the least sensitive setting the stupid 1520 touch was too sensitive and would register a "press/tap" when I was trying to scroll.

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
They have just confirmed that I'm getting the 950XL as a replacement. I hope it's the white one, the black is awful. And I have no money now to buy a Mozo case :(

It's also nice to see other people agreeing with the fact that coming from a 1520 will make me feel like I'm losing some things. The feeling when holding the phone in the hand, the curved glass, the built quality... and the design :)

The "super sensitive" touch on my 1520 just pissed me off to no end, I'm glad its not there on my 950xl.

Even on the least sensitive setting the stupid 1520 touch was too sensitive and would register a "press/tap" when I was trying to scroll.

That sounds like your 1520 has the ghost-touch hardware issue, it's not related to the Super Sensitive touch technology. My 1020's screen touch was amazing and it never had any ghost touch.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
They have just confirmed that I'm getting the 950XL as a replacement. I hope it's the white one, the black is awful. And I have no money now to buy a Mozo case :(

It's also nice to see other people agreeing with the fact that coming from a 1520 will make me feel like I'm losing some things. The feeling when holding the phone in the hand, the curved glass, the built quality... and the design :)

That sounds like your 1520 has the ghost-touch hardware issue, it's not related to the Super Sensitive touch technology. My 1020's screen touch was amazing and it never had any ghost touch.

For what it is worth I love my 950xl much more than I did my 1520.

The battery life is as good or better than my 1520 plus its replaceable. My 1520 battery went bad in less than 1.5 years and from that point on it would die when it reached 50%.
The 950xl is noticeably faster and smoother with a much much much better screen.

Two things I miss are:
Tap to wake
Visual Voice Mail

Overall I dont regret my 950xl purchase one bit.

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
that's the norm with lumia, cant let go of my 928 because xenon and low light is actually better than 1520, also lcd is meh and no qi charging and so on, I could be settled on a 930 now but it doesn't have glance... its just.. jeez, they seriously cant be Samsung in this regard? Sammy just keeps adding crap no matter what, never taking away

back on topic I think you should accept it, iris unlock is damn cool, camera is back to 920's awesomeness in low light and everything, design is fixed with some mozo badassery, BUT I will miss the 2.5d glass or whatever nokia did their screens simply look outstanding compared to anything design-wise

see if you can live with it, I'm almost certain tap to wake is coming, so it will be 99% perfect, if you still hate it then sell it and get a 1520 that wont cost more than 200-230$ mint, and save the other 400$ or so

you forget samsung took away SD card slot and removable battery. atleast they are bringin it back on the S7 but samsung is already boring for me

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
let me see. so your phone is broke, they can't fix it because noone makes parts anymore. instead of them sending you back a broken phone, they are willing to send you a brand new 950xl. and you would rather have the 1520. i see 2 answers for th

1. take the brand new $600 phone
2. take the brand new $600 phone they are giving you for free ( well atleast i think its free my eyes hurt didnt read all of it) and if you dont want it sell it and find another 1520 to buy

yosoyyoberdi

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Hey! Another Spaniard here with a 1520. How have you managed to send the phone to Madrid? I am not able to contact them in the Microsoft page, just keep saying "no hay ninguna oferta asociada con el tipo de problema seleccionado." when I try to select the problem to send the phone.
I want to try and get the 950XL.

BTW, my 1520 is yellow and new, no scratches, always with hard case, no ghost-touch issue. If you are interested we could change your 950XL for my Lumia 1520 in Barcelona!

OMG55

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
a friend of mine has the 950XL and honestly, I was impressed with the display, how well windows hello works and the case he had on it. No, it wasn't the mozo case, it was on Microsoft offers in the store.

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey! Another Spaniard here with a 1520. How have you managed to send the phone to Madrid? I am not able to contact them in the Microsoft page, just keep saying "no hay ninguna oferta asociada con el tipo de problema seleccionado." when I try to select the problem to send the phone.
I want to try and get the 950XL.

BTW, my 1520 is yellow and new, no scratches, always with hard case, no ghost-touch issue. If you are interested we could change your 950XL for my Lumia 1520 in Barcelona!

If your phone is working correctly, why are you trying to send it to the repair service?

I have decided I will give the 950XL a go :) obviously if after receiving it I'm not happy I might sell it and get a new 1520 or 930.

Last edited:

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Lumia 1020 in August of 2013 and at that time I bought the 2 year service plan. It was replaced in March of 2015 with the 1520 and then the m8 the same month. They replaced my m8 with the 950 out of the 2 year warranty but under the 1 year manufacturers warranty. I am on my second 950 in 3 weeks and they offered to replace the 950 with the 950 xl if it keeps giving me problems. The Microsoft Store's seem to have a large replacement budget.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven