Microsoft is replacing my Lumia 1520 for a 950XL

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Three weeks ago, I sent my Lumia 1520 to repair because of the "ghost-touch" issue. I had to send it by post to Madrid because since Microsoft acquired Nokia the technical service was removed in Barcelona.

Some days ago I sent them an e-mail because after two weeks I had still not received any news on the repair status of my device. So it seems I had to send an e-mail first (argh) for them to let me know that they are NOT giving me back my Lumia 1520 (!!!) because the compontents have been discontinued, but sending me a Lumia 950XL instead, BUT, because for some odd reason Microsoft still doesn't have stock of the 950 or 950XL in Spain, they cannot send it yet.

First I was very angry because of this news, because I love the Lumia 1520 design and I find the 950 and 950 XL to be awful. Also I hate on-screen buttons and, oh god, NO DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE?! And as I've read the battery life is not as good as the one on the 1520.

So what do you guys think? Do you think I should push to get my 1520 back, or accept the 950 XL? What are the advantadges of the 950XL other than the Continuum feature in comparison to the Lumia 1520?

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Three weeks ago, I sent my Lumia 1520 to repair because of the "ghost-touch" issue. I had to send it by post to Madrid because since Microsoft acquired Nokia the technical service was removed in Barcelona.

Some days ago I sent them an e-mail because after two weeks I had still not received any news on the repair status of my device. So it seems I had to send an e-mail first (argh) for them to let me know that they are NOT giving me back my Lumia 1520 (!!!) because the compontents have been discontinued, but sending me a Lumia 950XL instead, BUT, because for some odd reason Microsoft still doesn't have stock of the 950 or 950 in Spain, they cannot send it yet.

First I was very angry because of this news, because I love the Lumia 1520 design and I find the 950 and 950 XL to be awful. Also I hate on-screen buttons and, oh god, NO DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE?! And as I've read the battery life is not as good as the one on the 1520.

So what do you guys think? Do you think I should push to get my 1520 back, or accept the 950 XL? What are the advantadges of the 950XL other than the Continuum feature in comparison to the Lumia 1520?

you're getting a new phone, that is enough reason in itself

It's the 950xl so the battery is big, better screen, more RAM, windows 10 mobile, expandable storage, fast charging, etc
Just hope that the unit you get isn't defective

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The double-tap-to-wake could be added later with a firmware update. Nothing said that the phone is TRULLY incompatible with the feature.

And the battery is indeed not as great as the 1520, but when you'll get to see the screen and its resolution, you'll understand why. And it's worth. The beauty of the screen is the first thing everyone around me noticed at first sight.

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
For me double-tap to wake IS indeed a very important feature that i will be missing :/
Also I just found out online, the Super-sensitive Touch is gone in the Lumia 950 and 950XL? Cant use gloves or a pencil with my screen anymore? Unbelievable :/

This way upgrading from a 1520 feels more like losing features rather than improving. I won't be using Continuum anyway.

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
For me double-tap to wake IS indeed a very important feature that i will be missing :/
Also I just found out online, the Super-sensitive Touch is gone in the Lumia 950 and 950XL? Cant use gloves or a pencil with my screen anymore? Unbelievable :/

This way upgrading from a 1520 feels more like losing features rather than improving. I won't be using Continuum anyway.

Then get the 950XL and send it to me. I will send you my L1520 :p

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You should be happy with the 950XL.

Even if you get a fixed 1520, it can have other issues by now like battery deterioration. And you will not be able to find parts to fix the phone.

As for the screen sensitivity issue, most phones can be used with gloves, provided it is thin enough.

I have used my Nokia N8 and BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 with Mechanix gloves before. None of those phones had a specific touch screen technology for gloved usage, but they still worked fine with the gloves. So most modern phones should just work fine with the gloves.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
You should be happy with the 950XL.

Even if you get a fixed 1520, it can have other issues by now like battery deterioration. And you will not be able to find parts to fix the phone.

As for the screen sensitivity issue, most phones can be used with gloves, provided it is thin enough.

I have used my Nokia N8 and BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 with Mechanix gloves before. None of those phones had a specific touch screen technology for gloved usage, but they still worked fine with the gloves. So most modern phones should just work fine with the gloves.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry

According to wmpoweruser, this phone is unusable with any globes. Is there actually any hardware limitation that justifies the lack of the sensitivity and double-tap to wake? Something like, I dont know, some screen memory chip having being omitted for this phones. I mean, even the 640, which is a cheap phone,has Glance and double-tap to wake which are features that require some hardware.

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site

Some days ago I sent them an e-mail because after two weeks I had still not received any news on the repair status of my device. So it seems I had to send an e-mail first (argh) for them to let me know that they are NOT giving me back my Lumia 1520 (!!!) because the compontents have been discontinued, but sending me a Lumia 950XL instead, BUT, because for some odd reason Microsoft still doesn't have stock of the 950 or 950XL in Spain, they cannot send it yet.

I have a 950 and I'm from Spain too.
The design of the 950XL is a subjective thing but from a functional and an engineer perspective it's absolutely not bad built, on-screen buttons are not that bad, I thought like you before but it's OK, not a big deal.
I have to admit that supersensitive touch and double tap are features that I'm missing but it's worth the tradeoff for what you gain.
And the battery although not the same it's like the 85% of the 1520 (when the software gets optimized).

But you will get the best camera in the market, new OIS, two phase autofocus, triple RGB flash, better secondary camera, iris scanner, better signal reception with double antenna design, fast charging, USB-Type C 3.1, USB OTG, an even better display (2K AMOLED, the best thing on the phone), better speaker quality with equalizer, replaceable shells, Dual SIM variant, Continuum, better CPU, GPU and RAM, faster LTE, lighter, slimmer, Gorilla Glass 4, barometer, H.265/HEVC codec support, liquid cooling, replaceable battery...

And it's a newer phone, you will get more software support and earlier, and will have replacement components for more time.

I'll take the 950XL all the way if I were you.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
take the 950 XL and try it for a couple of weeks, and if you find you cant stand it, then send it to me and I will trade you for my mint L1520 LOL no but seriously just sell it and buy another L1520 and make some money ontop also...

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I switched from 1520 to XL just like you. Great device except the battery is pitifully bad on build .63. I have to keep on Qi charger all day when not in use. I'm hopeful a new build will fix it, or I will exchange for another one and hope

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I have a 1520. I'm jealous! Enjoy! The 950 will settle down and be better over time. Microsoft is in a frenzy updating firmware and operating system.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
i love on-screen buttons. this makes the appearance of the phone elegant and simple. i don't like real buttons which cannot be hidden and make the phone looks clumsy.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

that's the norm with lumia, cant let go of my 928 because xenon and low light is actually better than 1520, also lcd is meh and no qi charging and so on, I could be settled on a 930 now but it doesn't have glance... its just.. jeez, they seriously cant be Samsung in this regard? Sammy just keeps adding crap no matter what, never taking away

back on topic I think you should accept it, iris unlock is damn cool, camera is back to 920's awesomeness in low light and everything, design is fixed with some mozo badassery, BUT I will miss the 2.5d glass or whatever nokia did their screens simply look outstanding compared to anything design-wise

see if you can live with it, I'm almost certain tap to wake is coming, so it will be 99% perfect, if you still hate it then sell it and get a 1520 that wont cost more than 200-230$ mint, and save the other 400$ or so

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The thing you'll miss the most will be that sweet and fast lcd (along with double tap and super sensitive), these phones are really poor if you consider these aspects

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I hope they change the magnifying glass to Cortana
they already done that in continuum mode..

wp_ss_20160128_0002.jpg

the search button's icon is the cortana. we can hope that they will change the style in phone's screen later.

this is the benefit of using virtual keys instead of physical ones. physical keys can't hide and can't change their appearances.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised they did. when my 1520 died I had in writing that they would replace my phone with the 950. The day I came in they showed me a memo from seattle stating 1520 users would get the m8 . Since I had it in writing they did the exchange for me. You got lucky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos